Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

Default laser atlanta range finder...

So where I am working this summer, I managed to get my hands on a Laser Atlanta Advantage range finder. Looks exactly like their current speed laser models but yellow with black rubber end caps as opposed to whit on blue. Anyways, I have been playing around with it doing some testing and such and was wondering how similar it is to the actual speed laser models?

Anyways, it has kept me thoroughly entertained for the past two days and I have been finding out interesting stuff about mounting location and response times with my V1 and 8500x50.

Good Citizen

Don't know the difference, but out of curiosity what have you concluded from messing with your v1 and x50 with response times?

Professional

Its probably just different software. Will it display a speed, or is it just distance measuring only?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Anyways, it has kept me thoroughly entertained for the past two days and I have been finding out interesting stuff about mounting location and response times with my V1 and 8500x50.
    Like what?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    Like what?
    You have to point the laser to the windshield to make the X50 alert to laser with the X50 mounted above RVM depending on distance. 500 ft and below, X50 has a hard time picking it up when hit center mass, headlight or front plate.

Even if he only uses the laser atlanta advantage designed for measuring, it still emits laser pulses and can be a good tool to use for mounting locations of your radar detector. The V1 is just the King when it comes to laser reception.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits View Post
    Even if he only uses the laser atlanta advantage designed for measuring, it still emits laser pulses and can be a good tool to use for mounting locations of your radar detector. The V1 is just the King when it comes to laser reception.
    Right, I was just curious if it had the capability or not.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    Like what?
    Sorry I posted last night at work and didnt have time to do a full rundown.

I only did testing at short distances (<500ft) because the parking lot wasnt bigger than that and I havent gotten a chance to take the laser off site.

Just for kicks I first shot each unit with a direct hit from about 100ft. I was shocked to find out that at least with my two units, the x50 appears to alert faster to direct hits. I was not running them both at the same time so no flaming here. Also this tes was anything but scientific, I didnt have a helper so I just rolled the windows down and listened for an alert. At 100ft direct hit (aimed at the unit on the windshield, the x50 alerted in about half the time that it took to get a distance reading on the gun. The V1 would sound right as the reading would flash up on the display.

I then paced back to 250 ft and again with only one detector on at a time I took shots at both headlights, chevy imblem on my grill, and license plate. Shooting each detector 5 times, neither alerted at any point at 250 ft. The V1 would alert occasionally if I aimed just above the chevy imblem on the grill, but my hand was shaking so I assume it was probably picking up scatter that reflected off the hood.

The real difference came when I stepped out the the max distance of my parking lot at 350 ft, (sorry I couldnt get more distance). At 350 the V1 alerted 3 for 5 on the plate shots and 100% on anything anything above that. The x50 would only alert if I took aim at the headlights or higher. I do a lot of real pistol shooting and if I kept real still and focused on my breathing etc, I could actually hit the lower edge of the front plate and get a reading without setting off the V1. In all the distance tests, the V1 appeared to alert earlier than the x50 but egligeably (as opposed to in the direct hit testing) but this was all done by ear and gut feeling, either way, both alerted after I had a reading on the gun, unscientifically I would say about half a second after the range would pop up. This gun has no speed capabilities so I have no idea how that would be affected.

Anyways, I know this is a far cry from the test that GOL does, but it was interesting, I have been walking around where I am working with the range finder, and when I return to work on monday (yay 4 day a week jobs) I think there is a place I can line up a 2000ft shot, but given I could start to get alerts from each unit at 300ft I assume the testing will be pretty much even at that range. If anything interesting happens I will post.

Lead Foot

Oh and I almost forgot, I mounted both units where I usually run them on the road, right below the RVM on my chevy pickup, so about 6ft off the ground....

Experienced

Today I was playing w/ a Stalker LZ1 and had two cars next to each other in the driveway. One had a V1 mounted above the rvm and the other had a Bel 995 mounted in the center of the windscreen. From ~20ft. shooting the car w/ the 995 center mass the 995 wouldn't alert but the V1 in the other car would. The V1 laser sensitivity is crazy.

Lead Foot

According to Suf Daddy the Laser Atlanta range finder can be used as a laser jammer tester. If it can get your range with your jammer active, then it is just like a punch through with the real thing.

Where did you get it and how much did it cost?