Lead Foot

Default Laser Scatter Sensitivity

Recent laser events suggest that many brands and vintages of detectors respond to scatter. Tests and commonly accepted opinion suggest otherwise. I suspect high mounting provides reasonable sensitivity when close-quarter lidar is performed in traffic. Any comments?

Speed Demon

Default Re: Laser Scatter Sensitivity

Quote Originally Posted by billgerr
    Recent laser events suggest that many brands and vintages of detectors respond to scatter. Tests and commonly accepted opinion suggest otherwise. I suspect high mounting provides reasonable sensitivity when close-quarter lidar is performed in traffic. Any comments?
    Depends on the RD you use. The V1 seems to pick up scatter anywhere on the windsheild.

The X50 is not very predictable. It will alert, its how long before it does that matters.

Experienced

Laser is hard to detect close-quarters, and if you look at the recent GOL testing, you'll notice that Veil or a Jammer will have a hard time providing close in defence. By close in I mean under 500 feet.

Picking up scatter seems to be more a function of where the actual target is hit with the laser, rather than where your detector might be mounted. See this thread for a demonstration.