Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Arrow So How Do You Speed?

I have used the same technique for 17 years and it has always worked fine for me. I usually wait until some jackass who wants to go fast passes me then I use them to speed with. I don't use the term "rabbit". I called them my "fish" and tell my passenger something like, "OK. There is my fish I am gonna hook into." I also use the term "bit*h". I follow them about 10 car lengths behind. I always keep an eye on my rear view mirror.

In all the times I have gotten pulled over for speeding which I would guess would be roughly 5-7 times (not always ticketed), it was when I was speeding alone and some LEO would be well hidden in a bush on the interstate median or I simply didn't see them.

Whenever I speed, I usually slow down when I approach an overpass or a turn off or a U-turn.

Do you guys use a technique similar to this or do you something completely different?
    Last edited by BTJustice; 01-16-2009 at 06:33 AM.

Default Re: So How Do You Speed?

I actually use the same technique, I wait till someone is going faster than me and then get behind them. But I always wondered about how many car lengths should I stay back. I usally am 3 cars lengths behind. Is that enought?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by V1 on the go View Post
    {SNIP}I usally am 3 cars lengths behind. Is that enought?
    I would say that is too close. At 10 or more car lengths, you usually have enough reaction time if you see the fish's brake lights come on.

Professional

There are rarely any rabbits in my city (Over 100K) so I can't use them often. I intend to speed 15-20 mph over when there are a lot of cars up ahead on a highway (2 lanes each side) that is almost straight or slightly curve. Straight and Flat road I can find around my city is only 3 miles at the most. Most LEOs around here will zap cars that are only 5 mph or more over.

I definitely do not speed at night when there are no cars around me but like I said, if there is a rabbit that got balls to speed then I'll stay behind them maybe 50 yards away. LEOs will zap cars no matter if their speeding or not at night. I guess it's hard to tell who is speeding unless your really close?

Also, I never speed through awful speed trap small towns despite using CO Ka. I don't care if they do or not. From my perspective, stationary operators can only be found in small towns .
    Last edited by An0nym0us; 01-15-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Here in PA I basically have four countermeasures - my RD, my CB, my eyeballs, and my knowledge of the area. I like to cruise around 85 if I can, but how fast I go is dependent on how much I can trust my countermeasures in any particular situation. My CB works well during the day and on the interstate. My radar detector works well when I have a rabbit. My local knowledge has saved me a few times, and twice I had a close call where I saw a LEO, braked, and then got hit with IO.

On an interstate I'm familiar with and during the day, I can be the rabbit because the CB is really effective and I know where to be careful just in case.

At night and on roads with less truck traffic, the CB is not as effective, but if I can chase a rabbit I can still keep up the pace because I can trust my detector.

On a deserted road at night that I've never been on before, 5 over - max. State law says they have to at least give you that.

That's mostly for the interstates and four lane state highways. I'm too afraid of the old farts with no depth perception pulling out in front of me or making a left turn at the wrong time to really haul ass on any road that's not limited access.

Quote Originally Posted by V1 on the go
    I usally am 3 cars lengths behind. Is that enought?
    For anyone worried about how closely to chase your rabbit, at least follow the two second rule just for your own personal safety (you need more distance than that if you're worried about LEOs).

Let's assume you're cruising at 80 MPH. That's about 117 feet per second you're covering. We'll be generous and use a Crown Vic for a "car length"; that would be about 17 feet. Three car lengths gives you about 51 feet of distance. That's less than half a second of time between your vehicles that you have to use to react if your rabbit decides to do anything unexpected like slam on their brakes because they see a cop.

Stealthed Like a B-2

I use a modified rabbit. I know that I have my RD on and will recieve any I/O alert around a mile or what Im about to tell you.

My example will be told at night how I do it because its the easiest to understand, but same concept during the day. I go however fast I want to go if I can see the running lights that all cars have when you turn on your lights. If I can see you off in the distance I speed until I pass you even from a mile out and if their is another car I can see I do the same but if I can not see another car I slow down to 10 over the PSL and then when I can see another car I repeat my rabbit process and go how fast I wanna go. Theirs no rabbits where I live, I mean sometimes you'll get someone doing 10 over but over that its really rare. Usually out of state drivers and they usually go 15 over. So its either using this modified rabbit or just doing what you want when you want.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YTCD View Post
    I go however fast I want to go If I can see you off in the distance I speed until I pass you even from a mile out and if their is another car I can see I do the same but if I can not see another car I slow down to 10 over the PSL and then when I can see another car I repeat my rabbit process and go how fast I wanna go.
    I pretty much do the same thing. I figure no one is going to go as fast as i want, so i try to keep an eye on a car in the distance and watch for his break lights. I will when possible, dip back into the right lane for coverage till i catch up to a slower car, pass than repeat.
    I will always slow to 9-10 over for, u turns and other possible LEO locations.

Radar Fanatic

Youll never get those tactics in writing from me

Speedtrap Crasher

On familiar interstates it's very rare I find a rabbit driving fast enough for me so I usually pull that duty. If I'm in strange territory then I drive slower and it's easier to use rabbits.

Houston/Austin/Dallas/San Antonio I'm very familiar with so I know where to usual shooting spots are. I also try and schedule my runs when there's a big college or pro football game on since DPS will probably be off somewhere watching the game and not the interstate. I can make some very high speed runs during playoff season especially if Dallas is in the chase.

Underway, I look for brake lights of other cars, oncoming cars flashing me and of course input from both my detectors. However, at night I turn the SR7 off since it tested so poorly against the Spectre and DPS is reported to use the Spectre RDD to "time" IO shots. The CB radio is helpful on the interstate provided I start with feedback. Once they here me report my first LEO make and mile marker the tips will start flowing in.

Another thing to watch for is clusters of cars in on-coming traffic. Especially if they're lined up in the right lane. That can sometimes mean there's a LEO in traffic with them.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Professional

It seems like most of you are only talking about Interstates/Big Highways but does anyone dare to speed through small towns that has only one big highway through it with at least two officers in the department?

I guess I have an obsession with heavy speed trap that always occur in small towns so please excuse me for that I keep talking about it.