Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

Default Besides $$$ and they are not FCC approved why do I not want a STINGER?

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...-detector.html

Above is a thread that was closed about the Stinger System.

(I understand problem threads being closed but why threads like this? I keep seeing "could we have this thread reopened, or this was the original thread," I have asked before why they are closed and the answer was "inactivity" but what is the threshold on inactivity?)

But the thread being closed is not the purpose of this thread.

This thing looks like it kicks butt and is only missing one feature that we have been talking about, instant notification.

It looks like it is serious contender for full-time protection. Being modular and upgradeable is just what we need. Buy the box and upgrade as you can afford it or as the threat level expands in the areas you travel in.

Stinger introduces the DSI Computer

Since there is no pricing on this site and this in not something that is sold the USA, the above link is for information purposes only.

Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

Default Re: Besides $$$ and they are not FCC approved why do I not want a STINGER?

From what I've seen online this looks like the ultimate tool for any driver. There are a few videos of it in action on youtube but no word on a price from the website

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Besides $$$ and they are not FCC approved why do I not want a STINGER?

Quote Originally Posted by TRun View Post
    From what I've seen online this looks like the ultimate tool for any driver. There are a few videos of it in action on youtube but no word on a price from the website
    I saw 1599 pounds.... Them some big $$$

Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

Thats roughly $2500US according to a online conversion I wonder if this will ever get approved for sale or use in north america.

Radar Fanatic

I say even if it doesn't would I be able to get warranty service overseas, does it do MPH, will they have a database or make a deal for the Trinity DB.

Someone needs to take this up a step or two and add NAV and 2 way comms for mobile updates (maybe Trapsters info)

When you think about it and you add all your countermeasures together, for some this still might be cheep. The "non Radar detector" Spectrum analyzer seriously is BADA$$!

It is something that I feel that may be worth the investment to try to get it FCC type accepted if it is for real. It may make the top shelf RD manufacturers rethink their game.

Since Valentine, BELSCORT, and others are international they may already be looking that way.

Old Timer

Yea, I remember that thing from a while ago. I thought you could set what frequencies you wanted to scan (ala STI-R segmented Ka.) It's too bad it doesn't do the full Ka spectrum.

I wonder how well the "Laser Shield" works...

Advanced Member

Yeah time I remember someone asking, they had no plans to expand to superwide Ka or to the US market. So it's basically just got K-Band and 34.3.

They may advertise that they are a "spectrum analyzer", however a lab spectrum analyzer is a sweeping receiver just like a normal radar detector. And one of the other forum members found that it does leak RF,so it sounds like it may be a superhetrodyne receiver like the other RDs.

But feature-wise, it is very cool and the other manufacturers should take a page from Stinger.

Quote Originally Posted by STiMULi View Post
    (I understand problem threads being closed but why threads like this? I keep seeing "could we have this thread reopened, or this was the original thread," I have asked before why they are closed and the answer was "inactivity" but what is the threshold on inactivity?)

The threshold for inactivity is 90 days. We CAN re-open them, but for best results PM a mod/admin directly, rather than posting "can we get this thread re-opened" in random places because we might not see it.

Advanced Member

That thing is tight. I would truly be interested.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz View Post
    Yeah time I remember someone asking, they had no plans to expand to superwide Ka or to the US market. So it's basically just got K-Band and 34.3.

They may advertise that they are a "spectrum analyzer", however a lab spectrum analyzer is a sweeping receiver just like a normal radar detector. And one of the other forum members found that it does leak RF,so it sounds like it may be a superhetrodyne receiver like the other RDs.

But feature-wise, it is very cool and the other manufacturers should take a page from Stinger.

Quote Originally Posted by STiMULi View Post

The threshold for inactivity is 90 days. We CAN re-open them, but for best results PM a mod/admin directly, rather than posting "can we get this thread re-opened" in random places because we might not see it.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer that. It was not as much of a gripe as it was trying to understand.

90 days is fair for most subjects.
    ====

Can someone point out the lack of full KA covrage Blog post or otherwise?

Good Citizen

I have been looking into this product and you can get it cheaper from the manufacturer in the Netherlands around 2000 USD I have not pulled the trigger yet as I am saving for a night vision type of devise for my vette. But if anyone gets one and they work let me know.