Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Possible detector range modification

I´ve been browsing the flitsservice.nl site for a while and came across a modification that should increase range:

Note: picture directly linked to http://www.flitsservice.nl

I´m keen on trying it on my V1, since I often run into highway photo radar and 700 feet sometimes isn´t enough when doing 140... Supposedly increases range by over 300 feet. Maybe flitsservice.nl will chime in to explain the details about how it works.

Radar Fanatic

Goodbye warrantee, Hello ET! I wonder if they have Ku band on Mars?

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Goodbye warrantee, Hello ET! I wonder if they have Ku band on Mars?
    Nah, my bet is that they are using VASCAR... :wink:
    This thing cancels out the Ku-band reception though... I think you could also just make a "hat" to slide over the detector. Hello warrantee coz I gotz me a new hat for ee-tee.

Radar Fanatic

It's interesting. I've been going blind for the past few minutes trying to read the dutch (or whatever it is). Can't figure it out. I'd like to know more about the science behind this thing.

Advanced Member

In general: Larger Antenna = More Gain
    But, also more directional, so signals that are "off axis" will be more difficult to detect, such as reflections off objects etc. Another down side: you'll not only have more gain on the police radar signals, but sources of false alerts as well. You could even mount a paraboilc dish on the detector and have the same effect...

It looks like they're trying to get earlier warning of photo radar. I think the big problem with detecting photo radar early is that since it is such low power and generally not pointed right at you, you're dealing with a very low signal level. The signal level would be below the reporting threshold of most detectors (conidered a "false"), unless you are pretty close to the source...

I would really like to see a test of the V1 against photo radar, with the Ka false alert guard turned off.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Aye you sure that isn't one of the mods for defeating the Spectre???

In general: Larger Antenna = More Gain
    But, also more directional, so signals that are "off axis" will be more difficult to detect, such as reflections off objects etc. Another down side: you'll not only have more gain on the police radar signals, but sources of false alerts as well. You could even mount a paraboilc dish on the detector and have the same effect...

Jim
    Hay jim I was thinking the same thing! Someone around here thru out a perfectly good Direct TV dish and I was thinking of putting it in my back seat with a radar detector hooked to it. I will just throw a coat over it to hide it and I will be ready to go! Remote Detector display is a must with this set up thou.. :wink: It also makes for a wonderful parabolic mike as I found out..WOW does it! 8)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by stalkervision
    Hay jim I was thinking the same thing! Someone around here thru out a perfectly good Direct TV dish and I was thinking of putting it in my back seat with a radar detector hooked to it. I will just throw a coat over it to hide it and I will be ready to go! Remote Detector display is a must with this set up thou.. :wink: It also makes for a wonderful parabolic mike as I found out..WOW does it! 8)
    Yeah, think about this: mount the V1 like normal, so that you have the regular antenna facing forward, then mount a parabolic dish onto the back, facing forward so that the focal point of the dish is on the V1's rear antenna. Mega detection! If people complain about the fasling now, wait until they try that!
    Yeah the DirecTV dish would probably work especially well for Ku!

Jim

Radar Fanatic

So, with respect to the waveguide "hat", is it a relatively simple matter of building something that looks like the original antenna but bigger or is there more to it? I have to figure that there's a right way to make it and a wrong way. Problem is I'm having trouble finding information on the net that pertains to anything but WiFi, which works on a much lower frequency.

**EDIT**
    Just found this neat little tool. I'm not sure if it's applicable but it's the most relevant thing I've found so far.

http://users.skynet.be/chricat/horn/...avascript.html

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkervision
    Yeah, think about this: mount the V1 like normal, so that you have the regular antenna facing forward, then mount a parabolic dish onto the back, facing forward so that the focal point of the dish is on the V1's rear antenna. Mega detection! If people complain about the fasling now, wait until they try that!
    Yeah the DirecTV dish would probably work especially well for Ku!

Jim
    Ya, I was thinking the very same thing... :wink: The arrows won't work then thou... :cry:

I think it would be a "Super Mega detection v1 thou"....." 8)

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    So, with respect to the waveguide "hat", is it a relatively simple matter of building something that looks like the original antenna but bigger or is there more to it? I have to figure that there's a right way to make it and a wrong way. Problem is I'm having trouble finding information on the net that pertains to anything but WiFi, which works on a much lower frequency.

**EDIT**
    Just found this neat little tool. I'm not sure if it's applicable but it's the most relevant thing I've found so far.

http://users.skynet.be/chricat/horn/...avascript.html
    Well, I´m pretty sure Flitsservice.nl will have a word or two for us soon. As for the range increase, the Bel 915 range increased from 300 meters oncoming (Multanova 6F) to 1000 meters oncoming and 500 meters coming from the back. That´s what I call a great mod.