View Poll Results: Would you use a Radar Detector rental service?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 8.11%
  • No

34 91.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Want your oppinions!

Quote Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
    RD, no. However i would be willing to rent a handgun when we fly somewhere, damn TSA!
    Lemme know how you make out with that.

Lead Foot

Good luck with getting back units from deadbeat accounts.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by category4 View Post
    I can't imagine ever needing to rent a detector. Those that use countermeasures and see their value already have one or more, an most newbies that want to try one can do so from the manufacturer for 30 days.
    ^Agree w/ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I won't consider rental.By the time i finish paying rent i would own the thing.
    ^Agree w/ya and similar to Rental Cars where people beat the living shi+ out of them for the most part I think peeps would treat their RD the same (e.g oops I dropped it, and I ain't telling nobody, oh well it ain't mine type scenario), therefore your probably not getting any kind of confidence for it to working 100 percent on cue IMO.

RadarBusters Associate

It's done with camera lenses and it's been successful. ( http://www.lensrentals.com/ )

It's all about how you do it and if you look professional or not. You can have a great idea but if it's poorly executed it will fail.

yea this was done already and it looks like the website is down so it must not have been profitable
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Lead Foot

Down with OPP!?

Speed Demon
    Driving in the left lane, 10 MPH below the PSL, with my turn signal on!

I would consider renting a 9500Ci or a STi-R+ for a few weeks to see how I like it. Does the price cover installation and removal?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcab View Post
    I would consider renting a 9500Ci or a STi-R+ for a few weeks to see how I like it. Does the price cover installation and removal?
    That would be the only Rds I would rent. If I really wanted to try a new detector I would buy it and sell it if I didnt want it anymore.

I actually briefly contemplated this same idea a while back. I concluded that the average driver doesn't have enough knowledge and/or experience using a RD to take full advantage of it, nor would he/she be willing to spend the time to learn. You'd probably have to leave the RD setting in factory default or obtain travel plans from the customer in order to program the settings. Still, you'd have to give the customer a brief tutorial so he/she doesn't get pissed when ticketed with I/O for doing 100 in a 60. I can't imagine many customers making a special trip to a "RD rental store," and, as others have already mentioned, I think it would be a tough sell to car rental companies because of the "have radar, will speed (excessively)" misconception.

Still, if they could make money off of it like they do with with other options/accessories (infant car seats, GPS, pre-paid gas, extra insurance, etc.), without the adverse consequences of more wrecks, I'm sure they'd be in. But they would broker wholesale deals directly with the vendors, just like they do with their wholesale fleet of cars.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
    RD, no. However i would be willing to rent a handgun when we fly somewhere, damn TSA!
    Actually, checking a handgun at the airport is a pretty painless experience, as long as you're not flying to/from an area where they are prohibited... but I honestly can't see why anyone would want to live in a place like that. :P

And no, I would never use a rental service for radar detectors. They work for lenses because some people only need them for certain limited situations and high-end glass can cost thousands of dollars.

Jose