Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Please help! So confused about radar detectors.

Can anyone recommend me a radar detector that will give me the LEAST chance of getting a ticket?

I drive highway mainly. Can't really drive fast in the city.

I have the Whistler XTR-693SE. Is that sufficient?

I have heard from others on here that Valentine 1 & Redline are good but what's the diff between them & my whislter as far as my chances of getting a ticket on the highway?

I don't need anything fancy like different LED colors & all that. Just one that has all the bands and the right technology to protect me & one that will be the most reliable!!!

Thank You in advance!!

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Please help! So confused about radar detectors.

Welcome to the forum!

I've never owned a whistler, so I'll let some of the other members advise you on them. From what I've seen the Ka band is good the K is not so great.

You must consider several factors: Which bands are the primary threats in your area? Which shooting techniques do the cookie cops use? What is the terrain like (i.e. flat, hilly, etc.)?

That info can help you determine which RD's best.

The redline and v1 are both great detectors. I prefer the redline for it's better filtering and oftentimes better range.

Both are great for the highway. Once you tell me about your driving environment, I'll tell you which RD I think is better for you.
    Last edited by Weeth; 06-17-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeth View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I've never owned a whistler, so I'll let some of the other members advise you on them. From what I've seen the Ka band is good the K is not so great.

You must consider several factors: Which bands are the primary threats in your area? Which shooting techniques do the cookie cops use? What is the terrain like (i.e. flat, hilly, etc.)?

That info can help you determine which RD's best.

The redline and v1 are both great detectors. I prefer the redline for it's better filtering and oftentimes better range.

Both are great for the highway.

Thanks! I drive between Birmingham, AL & Atlanta, Georgia. I'm
    mainly in the Birmingham metropolitan area.

I would say hilly.

How can I find out what these cops use?

Radar Fanatic

The redline excels at off axis which is great for hilly terrain. It balls at Ka band.

From the vids I've seen, Ka is the main threat. To find out, check which frequency your whistler alerts to.

Radar Fanatic

Leave all bands on until more info is posted. NorthAlabama will chime in when he sees this post but I think they use Ka, some K and even a little X band in ala.

Experienced

Get the Beltronics Sti-R+ and Laser Interceptor HP Quad.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by The Stigs Cousin View Post
    Get the Beltronics Sti-R+ and Laser Interceptor HP Quad.
    X2 if you have the budget for it.

If not and need a dash mounted unit, Redline and V1 are good choices.
    Redline had the best sensitivity and excellent off axis (good or twisty roads and hills). Some have reported some reliability issues (ie speakers gone bad) but that would not stop me from buying it.

V1 has good sensitivity, OK off axis, and best reactivity (best at QT/IO) and has arrows for situational awareness. Also has a good concealed display which helps when you mount high and you should mount high.

Whistler will lag behind the others in sensitivity and has good reactivity. With KA max, good with KA but K detection leaves one wanting.

Hard to go wrong with the V1 or Redline, both are a step up from the Whistler. While I prefer the V1, a very strong case can be made for the Redline. They both excel in different areas and the overall performance is that close. They have a 30 day return policy, why not take them for a test drive?

Experienced

Highway I'd get whatever gives longest range, V1, Redline. You didn't say what kind of car it was so check to make sure it doesn't have a metalized windshield otherwise go the remote route. Whats good about the V1 is that you know if they're driving and coming up from behind you.

I'd consider some sort of laser jammer. At least around here, while they drive around with the radar (most of the time Ka, unless locals patrol a local stretch which is sometimes K) on, a lot of the serious speed traps are laser based.

Radar Fanatic

as others have said....

V1 or redline.

Thanks for all the replies!

So then Alabama (Birmingham metro) and the interstate (459) to Atlanta is mostly KA & some K for localized police.

My question is this:

My Whistler XTR-693SE has the Max KA option. I understand a Redline is better. But in what sense? It will alert me sooner? How much sooner (generally)? Will it be like my Whistler will just miss KA sometimes & fail to alert me at all while the Redline won't?