Newcomer

Default Oh god no, PLEASE NO!!! - Audi's new laser rear light

Here's to hoping this concept dies a quick and painless death

Power User

Default Re: Oh god no, PLEASE NO!!! - Audi's new laser rear light

That looks like a visible laser beam... not really gonna affect laser detectors.

And frankly I think the age of "beep if you see blinking 904nm light" is ending, just like how the age of "beep if you see ____GHz signals" is already gone.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    That looks like a visible laser beam... not really gonna affect laser detectors.

And frankly I think the age of "beep if you see blinking 904nm light" is ending, just like how the age of "beep if you see ____GHz signals" is already gone.
    Can you explain your thinking more? Are you suggesting the days of detection are over?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by mikedotd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post

Can you explain your thinking more? Are you suggesting the days of detection are over?
    I guess he means there will be no more UNFILTERED detection. The Early Fuzzbusters would alert to anything on S band and X band. They didn't give a damn what it was, if there was a signal on those bands, they would alert. Modern detectors are VERY heavily filtered, that's why responce time has become an issue. Due to more and more things operating on Laser, it is quickly becoming the new X band. (It's already that way here in South Florida: I can't have laser enabled on my detector, because otherwise I get flooded with falses from neon lights, sunlight reflecting off of other cars, ACC, electrical noise, etc.). Thus Laser will have to be filtered. The best approach seems to be the one used by Laser Interceptor: Identify the laser gun, and allow the user to ignore "unknown" guns.

Note to advertisiers: STOP EDITING MY POSTS AND STICKING UR OWN CRAP IN THERE. I HAVE TO USE THE ABBREVIATION ACC, OTHERWISE IF I TYPE THE FULL WORD, I GET CRAP INSERTED IN FRONT OF IT!!!!
    Last edited by h4x0r; 07-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Power User

Yep -- exactly what he said. Unfiltered detection of radar is no longer considered acceptable due to the amount of falsing. LIDAR detection is likely to go through the same change soon due to the amount of LIDAR usage for everything from cruise control to collision avoidance.