Default Tinted window reducing detection sensitivity?

Hey guys, so I have a valentine 1 on my sport bike, and I recently upgraded my windscreen to a light smoke screen, which isn't the full black tint, but it is tinted nonetheless. I've noticed now that I feel like the sensitivity of my detector has reduced sadly. I'm still in the process of testing this out, since I have an 8500x50 here to compare with. Today I'm going to try and drive around in my car with both in the window of a non tinted screen to see if they are comparable to rule out an issue with the V1 itself. I've noticed that sometimes it will catch KA from a good distance and sometimes it will catch KA well within range of the officer which would basically not do me any good. And I've also noticed as it ramps up, It wont give me full signal strength alert ever as I close in, and this is with KA sensitivity turned up in the advanced settings.

However, has anyone noticed anything like this? Would a light smoke tint degrade performance? As far as I know there's no UV protection or anything special on the screen.
    Last edited by demoncamber; 06-20-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Tinted window reducing detection sensitivity?

Quote Originally Posted by demoncamber View Post
    Hey guys, so I have a valentine 1 on my sport bike, and I recently upgraded my windscreen to a light smoke screen, which isn't the full black tint, but it is tinted nonetheless. I've noticed now that I feel like the sensitivity of my detector has reduced sadly. I'm still in the process of testing this out, since I have an 8500x50 here to compare with. Today I'm going to try and drive around in my car with both in the window of a non tinted screen to see if they are comparable to rule out an issue with the V1 itself. I've noticed that sometimes it will catch KA from a good distance and sometimes it will catch KA well within range of the officer which would basically not do me any good. And I've also noticed as it ramps up, It wont give me full signal strength alert ever as I close in, and this is with KA sensitivity turned up in the advanced settings.

However, has anyone noticed anything like this? Would a light smoke tint degrade performance? As far as I know there's no UV protection or anything special on the screen.
    Shouldn't affect radar sensitivity unless it's one w/ an athermic (spelling?) coating w/ a metalized substrate. The light smoke treatment will negatively affect the V1's sensitivity to laser detection, however.

Advanced Member

The question is? Which way were the cans pointed? 35.5? New radar units? Lower power? Yes, do test the unit on a sitting Leo with the other unit. Program #5 does increase the number of LEDs lit for Ka, it makes it difficult to judge the distance from the source for sensitivity does not change, but gives you more LEDs which you wish to see. You should know if the unit is working correctly by your years of usage...

Manufacturer

I believe some windscreens that are consider "athermic" (like those in some Porsche's) may incorporate some metal material which can certainly reduce reception performance.

In so far as after market tints, I recently had to retint my 540 and was told that the latest materials are made differently than those of the past, which I believe doesn't adversely impact performance of radar.

Here's what Roy wrote about this:

Will My Radar Detector Work Through My Windshield?

Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by Veil Guy; 07-06-2016 at 11:04 AM.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook