Newcomer

Default Sacramento/CHP Newbie Scanner Recommendations

Could anyone recommend a good starting scanner for Sacramento (Folsom), and CHP, is there anything specific I should be looking for? Trunking? Digital? ... I was sort of looking at PRO-83/99

Or should I just scrap that idea and go with CB? Help!

Thanks!

Lead Foot

Default Re: Sacramento/CHP Newbie Scanner Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky
    Could anyone recommend a good starting scanner for Sacramento (Folsom), and CHP, is there anything specific I should be looking for? Trunking? Digital? ... I was sort of looking at PRO-83/99

Or should I just scrap that idea and go with CB? Help!

Thanks!
    CB? Comic Book Radio...Is it really useful when I was on in the old days before 1975 when the rage went wild and CB went downhill and so did the prices, all I got was skip and over crowded channels. This lead to going from 23 overcrowded channels to 40 channels with no licensing requirement. :x then came all the kids and rift raft :x Never heard truckers that much or any kind of this activity. I still have my sideband / CB in the closet for decoration. 154.905 for CHP mobil extenders if you pick them up on this freq. they are within 3 miles of you and there are other freqs. in your area check radioreference.com. Scanner is going to be more interesting because you can listen to all kinds of agencies not just police but news media to find out where the crashes are or traffic congestion. You get the traffic report realtime. Coastguard if you are near water, aircraft, CB if you want to, etc.
    fyi: the Sacramento Police and Sheriffs department is currently changing their communications systems they maybe going digital so you might want to look more into this because then you will need a digital scanner if you want to monitor these agencies.