Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Getting more range from CB

Apart from going to bigger antennas, are there other ways to get more range from a CB? I,m not sure if the wattage is limited to 5 watts in some countries is it? Can you get CBs boosted up for more power, so you dont have to go to huge antennas.
    Are all antennas pretty much created equal for a given size, ot are some much better than others for their size?

Radar Fanatic

W/out a powerful antenna, Wilson 1000/5000 are the best, the answer is NO... but on top of a Wilson 1000 or 5000 antenna you can go for a linear amplifier (never used one) that will somehow boost the, here I don't know for sure, Tx, Rx or maybe both, for an amplifier Wilson 1000 or 5000 are the ones to sustain that power an amplifier always needs... amplifiers ARE illegal to use, as per FCC, but lots of truckers use them and is next to impossible to enforce it...

Good Citizen

Hmm, linear amplifier hey. I havent heard of them , being new to the game. Who can tell me more about them. I wouldnt mind boosting range without having to go to a huge big anntenna.
    Of course I would only use it on private roads, so legality isnt an issue.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by cr500
    Hmm, linear amplifier hey. I havent heard of them , being new to the game. Who can tell me more about them. I wouldnt mind boosting range without having to go to a huge big anntenna.
    Of course I would only use it on private roads, so legality isnt an issue.

I forgive you as you're new to this game, you need a very powerful antenna to sustain the high powered amplifier, only Wilson 1000 and 5000 will do it for you, anything less and you will blow up the entire electrical system...

The short load I'm using for my Wilson 5000 works with 1000 and 5000 only...

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/short.htm

Good Citizen

The short load looks interesting, but it says it only has a band width of 1 - 1.2 MHz. I was hoping to work between 468 and 477 MHz, I suppose I will need a less efficient antenna to do this ,is that right?

Experienced

Default Re: Getting more range from CB

Apart from going to bigger antennas, are there other ways to get more range from a CB? I,m not sure if the wattage is limited to 5 watts in some countries is it? Can you get CBs boosted up for more power, so you dont have to go to huge antennas.
    Are all antennas pretty much created equal for a given size, ot are some much better than others for their size?
    The legal wattage output is 4 watts carrier power in the USA. However, while the radios must stay within this requirement out of the box, they actually will put out more watts if you have them modified to do so. It's essentially just a setting inside the radio that any CB radio shop can increase for you. Go to a CB shop and tell them you want your radio "peaked and tuned" and they will set it for maximum output. Most of the Cobra radios will deadkey 7 or 8 watts and swing 18 or so if you have them peaked. Deadkey means keying up without speaking (carrier) and swing means what the radio is actually outputting when you speak into it (forward swing/modulation).
    Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    you can go for a linear amplifier (never used one) that will somehow boost the, here I don't know for sure, Tx, Rx or maybe both
    A linear amplifier will indeed SIGNIFICANTLY boost your transmit range. People will hear you from A LOT farther than running barefoot (no amp). In regards to the receive with an amplifier: Obviously, a setup is limited to what your antenna picks up, regardless of the radio or the amplifier. However, most amplifiers have what is called "pre-amp" and when you turn this on it will increase the signal strength of all received transmissions, essentially making them sound louder. This will NOT bring in people from farther off, it will just make people easier to understand who are far off to begin with and make essentially everything sound louder and usually 3 or 4 S-units stronger.
    you need a very powerful antenna to sustain the high powered amplifier, only Wilson 1000 and 5000 will do it for you
    This is not true. The Wilson Lil Wil is a nice short 3 foot long antenna and it will handle up to 300 watts output which is damn plenty in a mobile setup.

My advice to you, cr500, if you are that concerned with the length of the antenna, is to go with the Wilson Lil Wil. It will be much cheaper than buying a Wilson 1000 or 5000 and then buying the Short Load. The Short Load is 3 feet long as is the Wilson Lil Wil so the difference in receieve is probably negligible. The Short Load is nice because if you wanted to you could just put the original whip back on. If you are as concerned as you sound about the length, try out the Lil Wil and see how you like it. If you are unhappy with how far you get out, grab a 200 or 300 watt amplifier. They are in fact illegal, but this is hardly enforced ESPECIALLY when you are talking about a mobile setup. You aren't using it on a base station and you won't be tearing up your neighbor's electronics so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

All of this being said, when you are talking about receive range and how far YOU are able to hear OTHERS, there is NOTHING that will increase this other than a longer antenna. That's just the way it is. Also, as a last word, nothing will beat a Wilson 1000 or 5000 with an amplifier.

I'm done.

Good Citizen

Deadreb245. Thanks for this info, it clears up a few things. I will visit a few communications places and see what they can do. I would like to get the wattage increased if they can. I cant go for a realy big antenna on my motorcycle, but I will make sure that What I can get is good for its size. For my work car, I can go up to 5 foot long no problems. I will ask them about an amp for the car CB. Thanks for the info again.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DeadReb245
    ... All of this being said, when you are talking about receive range and how far YOU are able to hear OTHERS, there is NOTHING that will increase this other than a longer antenna. That's just the way it is. Also, as a last word, nothing will beat a Wilson 1000 or 5000 with an amplifier.

I'm done.
    Very interesting and right on target analysis 8) I was thinking of 1000 or 5000 as the most powerful antennas so you have no limits on using very powerful amplifiers as well...

A question to you: Wilson 1000 or 5000 (my case), any risk a CB amplifier can blow up the electrical system of a (brand-new) car on a 12 V battery, that's my only reason why I've never hooked-up any amplifier to my CB, also they don't come plug-and-play, you gotta be careful (and I'm not an electrician at all) not to screw up the entire installation, especially when you have a new car, then it's gonna cost you dearly to fix the problem...

Called some CB shops around me and all told me that Galaxy 225 is the best bet for my Midland handheld CB and the Wilson 5000

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...roducts_id=615 no picture available... is this cheaper in the US (now C$1=US$1.07)?

Radar Fanatic

Deadreb245. Thanks for this info, it clears up a few things. I will visit a few communications places and see what they can do. I would like to get the wattage increased if they can. I cant go for a realy big antenna on my motorcycle, but I will make sure that What I can get is good for its size. For my work car, I can go up to 5 foot long no problems. I will ask them about an amp for the car CB. Thanks for the info again.
    Lots of HD and Honda classic motorcycles running a short-load CB antenna :wink:

Experienced

A question to you: Wilson 1000 or 5000 (my case), any risk a CB amplifier can blow up the electrical system of a (brand-new) car on a 12 V battery, that's my only reason why I've never hooked-up any amplifier to my CB, also they don't come plug-and-play, you gotta be careful (and I'm not an electrician at all) not to screw up the entire installation, especially when you have a new car, then it's gonna cost you dearly to fix the problem...

Called some CB shops around me and all told me that Galaxy 225 is the best bet for my Midland handheld CB and the Wilson 5000

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...roducts_id=615 no picture available... is this cheaper in the US (now C$1=US$1.07)?
    I have never heard of anyone causing any permanent damage to their vehicle's electrical system from just using a CB amplifier. I mean obviously you will want to run the wires directly from your car's battery for this type of thing. A 300 watt amplifier will draw between 20 and 22 amps. You also want to make sure to use the proper gauge wiring. I usually use 10 gauge, even though the wiring coming out of my linear amplifier is only 12 gauge. Someday I may get a bigger amp, right? Hehe. On to the amusing part: Using the amplifier will more than likely interfere with the electronics in your car. For example, I drive a 1994 Cavalier and I run a 200 watt linear. If I key up when the car is dinging shortly after putting the key in, the dings will sound all scracthy and goofed up. Also, anytime I key up, the light for the rear defrost will very faintly light up and it will actually get a little brighter when I yell into the microphone. Finally, OF COURSE, you will more than likely hear yourself coming out of your car's speakers when you talk. OH! I also managed to set the laser alert off on my RX-65! This is just my experiences. My cousin had a 300 watt linear in his car and I don't remember any of those things happening, except for maybe faintly hearing himself through his car speakers. It all depends on your situation. Thank you for reading.