Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default What's it take to get an antenna!

So trying to get a "lil wil" I visit it 3 dealers in 2 states, only one is actually open for business and out of stock, stop by a few truck stops, only have the other brand that starts with a K or cell phone antennas, order it online, it finally arrives today, and sure enough the antenna has a 30deg bend in it. A lil wil may be worth $30 but is it worth all the hassle I'm going through to get one in the first place. Anyone else have this much difficulty?

Tomorrow I get to contact the vendor, I'm assuming I'll be referred into dealing with a UPS insurance claim.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: What's it take to get an antenna!

Not here, ordered mine off Ebay and it was perfect. I knew I would never find one around here so Ebay is just easier.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    Not here, ordered mine off Ebay and it was perfect. I knew I would never find one around here so Ebay is just easier.

I walked into my local rest/truck-shop (Petro station along the interstate, where there a CB shop in it) and said "Hey can you guys order me a Lil' Wil?" "Sure no problem..." Got a call 3 days later: it was in stock... picked it up, and put it on right at the truck-stop in brand-new condition. They even bought an extra one so that they had one just laying around just in-case another 4-wheeler came in (They normally only carry Big-Rig accessories... because its in the back of the rest-stop right by the truckers entrance... not the normal entrance... so few besides truckers know about it.)

As for the bend in the antenna: Not a huge deal-just put it in a bench vice and straighten it out... just don't crush it 'too' hard and 'squish' the antenna.

PS: What kind of package did yours come in? I believe they have 2 styles: One plastic case that holds the whole thing (base with antenna in it). The other style is a very light cardboard... (treated/laminated paper) that holds just the base/coax with a transparent side, and then on the outside they give you the antenna seperate. For the little wil I prefer the plastic one (this is how mine came)... because it is much harder to have the issue you are having... unless its used.

Larger antennas/units its obviously unreasonable to have it all in one package and they exclusively use the 2nd style I described (with the antenna on the outside all by its-self). ie: 1K, 5K I also have not had a problem with this style either from the aforementioned CB shop I go to!

Yoda of Radar

Same thing happened to me with a CB antenna (Maxrad, not a Wilson) a couple months back. They sent it in a soft box instead of a reinforced tube, and there was a nice bend in the whip. The dealer on eBay was awesome about it. Sent me a new antenna overnight, and just asked that I return the original one in the new tube. It don't get no better than that.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    As for the bend in the antenna: Not a huge deal-just put it in a bench vice and straighten it out... just don't crush it 'too' hard and 'squish' the antenna.

PS: What kind of package did yours come in? I believe they have 2 styles: One plastic case that holds the whole thing (base with antenna in it). The other style is a very light cardboard... (treated/laminated paper) that holds just the base/coax with a transparent side, and then on the outside they give you the antenna seperate. For the little wil I prefer the plastic one (this is how mine came)... because it is much harder to have the issue you are having... unless its used.
    No vice handy, however I did find some old school books and lined it up in a spine and stacked a good 30-50lbs on top of it so hopefully that will fix it. If not I just got a response form the seller, they said contact UPS, then UPS will have them send me another one.

It came in a card board box w/ UPS label, inside that was the plastic container.

I wish the local truck stops were better stocked, between that and Wilson's dealer list being grossly outdated then their dealers not stocking or wanting to order the lil wil's this is just starting to get obscene if I have to sit through another week or two of waiting because of the shipping SNAFU, and I needed to vent a little.

Yoda of Radar

It's amazing what most truck stops carry! The only one within fifteen minutes of me has a HUGE display with probably fifteen different CB radios in it, as well as a whole wall full of antennae, microphones, and other accessories. Great prices too. Too bad I'm not in the market, lol. I'd like to get a bigger linear though.

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

Got a vice, fixed the antenna went out to tune it, and the Cobra 19 is popping fuses on start up now (powered up and ran fine with same install and different antenna a month ago).

So one last try with the pack of fuses I got today, or I'm off to shop for a new CB.

Yoda of Radar

Wow... you are having NO luck.

Honestly I have never heard of as many issues with a simple CB set-up. When you went to the truck stops in your area... did you ask if they could order the equipment for you (even if they didn't have it in stock)?

Maybe you should have them install it too BTW.

Yoda of Radar

How do you have the thing wired? Is it an inline wiring fuse? A cigar lighter plug fuse? A fuse block fuse? I mean sure, there could be an internal short in the radio from the factory. But really, the chances of it being a problem with the radio itself are pretty slim. I'd get someone to double check your wiring for you. You may know what you're doing, but another set of objective eyes often find things we overlook. Beats going through the hassle of a return and re-shop for nothing. Even if I did return it, I'd stick with the same radio, unless you want to move up to something extravagant.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    How do you have the thing wired? Is it an inline wiring fuse? A cigar lighter plug fuse? A fuse block fuse? I mean sure, there could be an internal short in the radio from the factory. But really, the chances of it being a problem with the radio itself are pretty slim. I'd get someone to double check your wiring for you. You may know what you're doing, but another set of objective eyes often find things we overlook. Beats going through the hassle of a return and re-shop for nothing. Even if I did return it, I'd stick with the same radio, unless you want to move up to something extravagant.
    It was grounded to the chassis, and power tapped off of the cabin fuse block 10amp fuse for the dome lights, it upon switching the power on it instantaneously blows the inline 2amp 250v fuse.

I'm thinking I'm gonna put it up on a CB forum I lurk on and see if I can get an opinion, otherwise space is at a premium so I'll wait until I've spare cash to burn a whole in my pocket and pick up a Cobra 75 to get more space in the cabin. No receipt so I'm doubtful on the warranty being honored (and atop that I'd have to mail it as there is no in statwe service center).

The install of the CB is easier than the V1 and drastically less work than almost anything else on the vehicle, and it worked for so many months without issue, I doubt it was the install but I am curious to know what the problem was to make sure there is no repeat.