Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default How many HAMs we got here?

As best I know they aren't really countermeasures unless you're with a group and someone spots a trap before you; but this is the HAM section, and I was thinking I'm about ready to go take the test for my Tech. cert in the next few weeks, so I was curious how many others here are already HAMs

Power User

Default Re: How many HAMs we got here?

Not a HAM but it sounds pretty cool. It can also be very useful during times of crisis (Swine flu anyone).

Do you have to memorize morse code for the first cert?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    Not a HAM but it sounds pretty cool. It can also be very useful during times of crisis (Swine flu anyone).

Do you have to memorize morse code for the first cert?
    Not anymore, that's what the Tech cert is. And you can even pre-test yourself on line several times so when you show up you'll have a good idea of what your score will be.

I've had the book and studied for a good year and a half now, and took 2 NWS weather spotter classes recently which sorta pushed me over the edge on just getting it done (basically I just needed to pick a test date and do it for a while now), plus it lets me have the scanners in more places and will set me up with a mobile GMRS legally putting out 45W which will be helpful when I go on car club runs.

W4NJ

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

Power User

So what exactly are you tested on? Electronics, frequencies, allowable output...?

Just wondering. I know that back in the day HAMs were serious electronic geeks.

Radar Fanatic

So what exactly are you tested on? Electronics, frequencies, allowable output...?

Electrical theory (if you took HS physics and got the basic concepts, this is pretty easy) then the majority of the pretesting that I've done it's been heavy in the radio safety, rules (ID requirements (and understanding the structure of it), vocab, band plan, to just how certain key points are worded) and fixing/preventing interference issues.

The book they've got out has a self test at the end of each chapter and all those exact same questions are in the mix for the test, then they pull out certain quantities from each pool to make the test, so theoretically you go into it having already seen it all before.

Yoda of Radar

Yes. Heavy on those three, plus rules.

These days, over 90 percent of new hams are people who only memorised the test answers and actually know dick about electronics. It's really lame and pointless anymore.

I became a Ham around 1980, but expired several years back. I was Advanced class (no longer exists) N5ETG. Been inactive long enough that I will have to re-test to re-license. I need to do that soon since the peak storm season is almost here.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Yea, I grew up in Warner Robins Ga. so some of my friends dads were active duty or retired AF. These guys had regular electronic shops with O-scopes and commercial soldering stations in their garages.

Of course this was back in the heath kit days. I always thought the big banks of radios with the FCC deal hanging on the wall was pretty neat.

On a sort of OT...

I'm a liberterian but I drive through a few areas that have idiots running super hot CB base stations. These guys just transmit pure GARBAGE mostly just repeating the same phrase OVER AND OVER! It's really a PITA and impedes useful radio traffic.

Now I better understand why powerful transmitters are regulated...

I am as well. Advanced class.

Newcomer

I have my general, I mainly did it so I could carry a scanner in the car in places that otherwise it would not be legal.