Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Professional

Default Better than Lil' Will?

Perhaps one of the most common bits of advice I see around are that it is a good idea to get the best CB antenna that you can. That it is better to have a crappy radio with a great antenna than the other way around.

With that in mind, I am thinking about getting a better antenna for my cheap, compact, not top of the line Cobra 75 CB. I am mounting on a small car , and think my best options might be either a trunk mount or mag mount. I'm thinking that a trunk mount (lip mount) might be able to hold a longer whip, and might be preferable.

My questions for our infinitely wise forum members:

1. Is it worth the effort to even try to best the Lil Will, or are the differences negligable?
    2. If it is worth the effort, which antenna and mount will make the most of a dinky radio on a compact car?

Some of my current considerations:
    • Maxrad MLB2700
    • Maxrad MLBDC2700
    • Wilson 500
    • Wilson 1000
    • Wilson 5000
    • Silver Load FGT
    • Flex Silver Load
    • Something else that you recommend

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by switch626; 03-05-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Silver load antennas added to list

Lead Foot

Default Re: Better than Lil' Will?

i run the Antenex CB27 (Maxrad MLB2700) and have no issues with it. I felt the NMO mount was more convenient than a magnet mount for my needs

Radar Fanatic

The thing about going little wil first is you'll know how to appreciate the difference, and you'll have a mag mount for trips in other vehicles after you upgrade, and well most people that go cheap radio are on tight budget and need cheap antenna that'll get the job done.

If you can afford it though, by all means go with one of the ones you listed. I'm partial to the Laird NMO antennas.

Professional

I am running a Wilson Silver Load and have yet to miss a thing

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    The thing about going little wil first is you'll know how to appreciate the difference, and you'll have a mag mount for trips in other vehicles after you upgrade, and well most people that go cheap radio are on tight budget and need cheap antenna that'll get the job done.

If you can afford it though, by all means go with one of the ones you listed. I'm partial to the Laird NMO antennas.
    I'm looking forward to comparing the two. The Liard NMO ones do seem to be very popular. My only concern with the trunk mount is that the whip will be hitting the roof of the car everytime I open the trunk. I'd like to say I will take it down when I'm done playing with it. I was supposed to do that with the current antenna, but I never get done playing.

Radar Fanatic

There's the NMO mount then the antenna you order comes with the base then the part holding whip screws on and off of the base, so in about two seconds you can have it off to open the trunk or clear a low parking garage.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    How is this mounted? NMO? I can't really tell looking at the description on Wilson's website.

I like the idea, since it seems like this would be a lighter antenna. Is this a better choice than some of the stainless stell whips?

Power User

I have run the Wilson 5000 trucker series and it is a top notch performer in both receiving and Xmitting.

I later upgraded to my dual 102"ers, but that's not really a feasible option on a compact type vehicle.

Radar Fanatic

X2, GREAT antenna. OP, the Lil' wil is a great antenna as well. Easy to tune and a solid performer. They also can take tons of abuse.
    Last edited by KaPro; 03-05-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Akosikojak View Post
    I have run the Wilson 5000 trucker series and it is a top notch performer in both receiving and Xmitting..
    It looks like the main difference between the Wilson 5000 and 1000 is power capacity. Since I'm running a dinky system barefoot, it seems like the 1000 would provide similar performance to the 5000 for me. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by KaPro View Post
    X2, GREAT antenna. OP, the Lil' wil is a great antenna as well. Easy to tune and a solid performer. They also can take tons of abuse.
    Is this an NMO mount that I could maybe get with a trunk lip mount? I cannot tell by looking at the manufacturer's website (or any other that I'm finding).

Also, is there going to be a noticeable difference between Lil' Will and one of these better ones? I suspect there there is because I can hear so many conversations in which I can hear only one driver, but not the other. I do have to also consider that they are running big radios, and the way they may be positioned (one on the edge of my range talking to one well out of my range)