Yoda of Radar

Default Garmin nuvi 800-series with Speech Recognition

Holy crap, did anybody else notice this? I just saw an ad for this, it appears that Garmin's 800 series of the nuvi can be entirely controlled by voice inputs. I'd love to see somebody get one of these and try it out...

I wonder if I can pawn my 200W off on somebody and upgrade?

ya i saw the commerical for that i knew one day thay would come out with something like that. They will come out with reality view proberly next

Yoda of Radar

I don't know. My cell phone is only about 70% on name recognition, WITH MY FREAKING VOICE! I'm sure you've had the pleasure to talk to some of those voice recognition systems over the phone. How well do those things work? Add in some freeway noise and frustration is sure to ensue. I say, no way Jose.

Newcomer

Ummmm my first post, long time lurker...

Anyway, I've been a Garmin power users for years. Ive had many units and watched Garmin grow

The new 800 has a few things to think about
    1) it will carry a $1000.00 price tag. Amazon is carrying them now
    2) it will require you place a microphone/switch do-hickey on your steering wheel closest to your mouth (top part of your wheel)
    you essentially press a "listen" button- then give your command

My friend infiniti G35 has a nav system that does the exact same thing, it probably accurate 50-60% of the time. The problem is car noise, the machine has to distingush your voice from the white noise in your car. At a stand still i expect voice recognition to work great, but moving--it unclear.
    Lastly, the Infiniti Nav system will only let you input information, when the cars in park or your foot is on the brake. I hope Garmin doesn't do this.

Lastly the device has a ton of upgrades over the current best. If you've got a grand burning a whole in your pocket-I'd consider it. If not consider an iPhone or the new Garmin Nuviphone due out in a couple of months, both are 1/2 as expensive

Scratonicity Groupie

My 920T can do the voice recognition for address entry. As long as the address is in the DB, and I have the windows up I have about a 85% success rate.

I just use the blue tooth remote, and start yapping away.