Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Member

Default SDHC card question

I just bought a Sony Handycam that takes SDHC cards. So I looked online for those as well (the camera has built-in 4 GB) and I see there is a variety.

Class 4, Class 6 ? Confused....

I just want to get enough memory to record about 12 hours of high quality video (for in-car setup). I already bought one of these:

The camera:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM98VFlZnhU]YouTube - SONY DCR-SX44 Flash Memory Camcorder[/ame]

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Old Timer

Default Re: SDHC card question

How much memory does 1 minute take on high setting. Depending on how efficient the codec is, you might need to get a big SD card.

As for the speed, find out what's the min your camera accepts, then try to get something a little faster. You don't wanna be recording the save of your life and later find out that your camera had stopped recording because it couldn't keep up with the data writing.

Radar Fanatic

Class 4, Class 6 refer to how fast the SDHC card will read/write. The higher the number , supposedly the faster the card. Check out the different classes by googling sdhc.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigalinwv View Post
    Class 4, Class 6 refer to how fast the SDHC card will read/write. The higher the number , supposedly the faster the card. Check out the different classes by googling sdhc.
    Yeah, found that... thanks.
    The camera takes up to 32 GB cards, so I guess I'll go with the fastest-highest capacity cards, which are still pretty cheap from what I found....

I'm actually going to take it for a spin right now and see how it does with night vision. Perhaps I'll post a really boring video on YTube in a bit....

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by OpenRoad View Post
    The camera takes up to 32 GB cards, so I guess I'll go with the fastest-highest capacity cards, which are still pretty cheap from what I found....

I'm actually going to take it for a spin right now and see how it does with night vision. Perhaps I'll post a really boring video on YTube in a bit....
    My DV400 camera came with a 2GB SD card but it will accept up to 32GB cards. I tried 32GB Class 6 but the video was choppy. I returned the card and purchased 32GB Class 10 and the video is perfect. I would go with the Class 10 for the high speed. You can find them for around $80.00.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by NetstarGT View Post

My DV400 camera came with a 2GB SD card but it will accept up to 32GB cards. I tried 32GB Class 6 but the video was choppy. I returned the card and purchased 32GB Class 10 and the video is perfect. I would go with the Class 10 for the high speed. You can find them for around $80.00.
    Cool thanks, good to know.

I recorded about 40 minutes of video at highest quality setting and it consumed just shy of 1GB. By my calculation with a 32 GB SD (Class 10 ) and the 4 GB on board the camera, I can get 24 hours of recording. Cool... the battery is supposed to run 14 hours as long as I am not using the monitor, so I should be able to record a full 900 miles of driving.....

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300

Advanced Member

Well, here's the first rather crude video. However, the mount and small camera size are great....

I actually got some Utah Highway Patrol cars doing duty at a nighttime construction site on I-15. Sorry for the tunnel vision, I was in a hurry and f_cke'd up the edit job. But this is a 'throw away' vid. Anyway, it does capture low light pretty well, though grainy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJocgngQ0dY]YouTube - DCRSX44.wmv[/ame]

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

Well, here's the first rather crude video. However, the mount and small camera size are great....

I actually got some Utah Highway Patrol cars doing duty at a nighttime construction site on I-15. Sorry for the tunnel vision, I was in a hurry and f_cke'd up the edit job. But this is a 'throw away' vid. Anyway, it does capture low light pretty well, though grainy.

YouTube - DCRSX44.wmv

Seems out of focus. Is it set for macro maybe or is it just the resolution it was recorded at?

Am I being too picky?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by STiMULi View Post

YouTube - DCRSX44.wmv

Seems out of focus. Is it set for macro maybe or is it just the resolution it was recorded at?

Am I being too picky?
    I just took it out of the box and straight into the car. The raw footage looks pretty clear, so the fuzziness was some artifact from my software. I had to invert the frames as the camera was mounted upside down. I then did some clipping and format conversion, so it probably degraded in the process..

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300

Advanced Member

I also found out that to get the 14 hour battery life, I have to buy a DIFFERENT battery.... go figure.

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300