Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

Default Help me buy a new Wireless Router, as mine just pisses me off...

I am looking for a very good & very reliable wireless router that will manage 800-1000+ simultaneous port connections (I don't mean computer connections)

4 or greater switch 100/1gb ports

I would like multiple assignable SSIDs (3 or more) with different bandwidth and security assignability. (It would be great to see them have different subnets but that is asking for the world)

I would like A/B/G/N compatibility with standard antenna connectors (of some type) so I can use my 12db gain panel (Diversity or Triversity is not required)

DDNS compatibility

MAC address restriction table

MAC SPOOFING

REAL PLUSES would be:

• HDD connectivity

• data encryption

• torrent client application w/ remote control

I will buy used if under $200 (Cisco or comparable)

Any ideas?

(thanks in advance)

Newcomer

Default Re: Help me buy a new Wireless Router, as mine just pisses me off...

ASUS RT-N16 is what you are looking for. It has:

Firewall protection, 128-bit encryption, NAT support, 64-bit encryption, auto-uplink (auto MDI/MDI-X), Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), packet filtering, print server, MAC address filtering, URL filtering, firmware upgradable, built-in 2 port Hi-Speed USB hub, event log, Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), DHCP server, FTP server, static IP mode, DNS proxy, EZQoS, BitTorrent Client

Plus it can run custom firmware like Tomato with superior QOS. It is $92 on zipzoomfly right now. It is gigabit router with USB to connect hard drives.

Look at this thread for the custom firmware. [ame=http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63587]Tomato ND USB Mod with kernel 2.6 - LinksysInfo - Community Forums for Linksys Devices[/ame]

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tomei View Post
    ASUS RT-N16 is what you are looking for. It has:

Firewall protection, 128-bit encryption, NAT support, 64-bit encryption, auto-uplink (auto MDI/MDI-X), Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), packet filtering, print server, MAC address filtering, URL filtering, firmware upgradable, built-in 2 port Hi-Speed USB hub, event log, Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), DHCP server, FTP server, static IP mode, DNS proxy, EZQoS, BitTorrent Client

Plus it can run custom firmware like Tomato with superior QOS. It is $92 on zipzoomfly right now. It is gigabit router with USB to connect hard drives.

Look at this thread for the custom firmware. Tomato ND USB Mod with kernel 2.6 - LinksysInfo - Community Forums for Linksys Devices

Although it does not meet all of my major criteria I did checking and it came the closest with caveats;

• Single SSID (no guest network), I decided once I get the new one working I would modify my current router to fill in the blanks. Hopefully there will be little interference when I run both at the same time on different channels. By doing do I will be able to use separate networks and keep my intranet more secure.
    • No A band. This means no 5gHz and more interference with other devices in and around the house as well and my neighbors. I live in a trough against the mountains and some of the neighbors networks carry pretty far. At times this is a good thing.

It has DDNS, HDD connectivity, a Torrent client and remote control. Reading about Tomato and DD-WRT I should have fun configuring and managing it. We'll see . As with everything nothing is perfect so I may go and buy an AC powered 1.5TB MyBook HDD as a BT drive. I have not seen a stand alone router that does any encryption on the drive. It sure would be nice to have Tomato embed TrueCrypt in the firmware.

I like the fact it has FTP and QOS. My second biggest complaint is QOS. My primary was that the CPU in this Cisco/Linksys SOHO router (WRV200) I have now can not keep up with BT tasks and regular surfing without killing the wireless and causing the DHCP devices to pull IPs (somehow) from the cable modem. That is a fail.

If anyone is interested, avoid the WRV200 unless you must have a decent VPN and multiple SSIDs with variable security. I know now that at the time it was a $180 error on my part. The first 4 months of it's life with me I was an unwilling beta tester. After 4 firmware upgrades they stopped supporting it in English and would only support me if I spoke Farsi. (there was no more FW upgrades so I guess they were in "screw you" mode)

So long story short, thanks for the info and I will update this thread once it goes in and I do my usual hacking Obviously if I though it was bad stuff ZZF would not have my $92 right now

Power User

All SOHO routers suck when it comes to torrents. Best of luck to you.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by STiMULi View Post
    I am looking for a very good & very reliable wireless router that will manage 800-1000+ simultaneous port connections (I don't mean computer connections)
    Just as an aside, the number of protocol ports is irrelevant. You could have 10,000 open connections with no traffic going between them and any router could handle it. All that matters is the amount of traffic.

Does your stereo system have a built-in radio, 8-track player, and record changer too?

Separate components are usually better. Let the AP be the AP and let the router be the router.

I would like multiple assignable SSIDs (3 or more) with different bandwidth and security assignability. (It would be great to see them have different subnets but that is asking for the world)
    This is where a separate AP will probably be required. The typical all-in-one consumer-grade stuff just isn't designed for this kind of oddball stuff.

Any ideas?
    You could do what I did: build your own router out of a Linux box and plug an A/B/G/N AP into it. If there's any flexibility this combination won't give you, then you don't need it.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post
    You could do what I did: build your own router out of a Linux box and plug an A/B/G/N AP into it. If there's any flexibility this combination won't give you, then you don't need it.
    Agreed. I have Untangle for my firewall and a WRT54GL (flashed with DD-WRT) setup as my AP. SOHO routers just cannot handle the load of torrents.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post
    Just as an aside, the number of protocol ports is irrelevant. You could have 10,000 open connections with no traffic going between them and any router could handle it. All that matters is the amount of traffic.

You are speaking from the point pf view of half way decent router. My WRV300 would crash just looking at the internet

Does your stereo system have a built-in radio, 8-track player, and record changer too?

NO

But I do have a separate 10/100/1G switch and I did want at least one or 2 devices plugged right into the router for troubleshooting and onboard QOS management.

Does yours have a record player and 8 track? Too Cool! [replacer_img]

Separate components are usually better. Let the AP be the AP and let the router be the router.

I agree see above.

The WRV 300 supported mutiple SSIDs with separate security types and B/W settings. I used it for WEP access on an old tablet. I will keep it alive and also use it as a my guest access with limited B/W. The ASUS can handle it via QOS as a link to the WAN of WRV the from one of the 10/100 ports onn the ASUS.

This is where a separate AP will probably be required. The typical all-in-one consumer-grade stuff just isn't designed for this kind of oddball stuff.

What I had was SOHO/sort of business but it was actually an over priced POS. What I was looking for was the somewhat same thing as I need RIP V1 & 2 for my network lab.

Any ideas?

The ASUS RT-N16 recommended by tomei kicks butt and it is running right so far. It has big CPU and big RAM for almost any endevour. It is a few steps up from the WRT54XX considering the USBs CPU and RAM. Currently it is running the ASUS F/W until I know it is not an OOBF and then I will try the DD-WRT or Tomato (TeddyBear version) as recommended.

Let the fun begin...

Radar Fanatic

I would like A/B/G/N compatibility with standard antenna connectors (of some type) so I can use my 12db gain panel (Diversity or Triversity is not required)

DDNS compatibility

MAC SPOOFING

REAL PLUSES would be:

• HDD connectivity

• data encryption

Any ideas?

(thanks in advance)
    Not asking for much are you?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by voyager7 View Post

DDNS compatibility

MAC SPOOFING

REAL PLUSES would be:

• HDD connectivity

• data encryption

Any ideas?

(thanks in advance)
    Not asking for much are you?

The only way I could get what I wanted was to ask.

Most of what I want is available and what isn't yet available is being worked on. There is an ASUS N13 that looks pretty good and close to my wish list but I don't know enough about it yet.

The N16 when compared to anything else out there seriously kicks butt as far as speed goes when being heavily taxed by the torrent world. Compared to my Linksys @ $200 2 years ago, it runs circles around it.

I learned a great deal from Linksys/Cisco after buying that POS.

When you unpack the box there is an invisible middle finger that comes with it that has the power to change the speed of time. The more phone calls you make to tech support as to why this is broken and why that is rebooting or is uncommunicative, the bigger the finger gets and the slower time passes (as far as getting support and the speed of your device) as well as the more difficult the Farsi embedded English is to understand that "Robert" is speaking. Within a very short time I found they just stopped putting out F/W updates even though there were unresolved issues. They just moved on.

I caused me to join their beta group. In the beginning I was genuine but later I learned that they did not give a flying conception so stayed with them just so I too could lie about how well the devices were operating while being tested. If you can't beat'em, join'em and beat'em at their own game. The beta group is a farce to be dealt with. Their beta group is just a big lie so they can say their stuff is beta tested. It is being beta tested, by consumers.

Radar Fanatic