Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Anybody use Garmin GPS systems?

I have a Tomtom one, and the thing is just about useless to me. It's not the Tomtom itself, but the maps and what not for it. I can't count how many times that it has taken me to dead ends, uneccesary routes, and to wrong locations in general. I do keep it updated, but it still doesn't fix the issues. I'm thinking about purchasing a Garmin to try out for a while to see if they may be better. What do you all think about the Garmin GPS systems?

Default Re: Anybody use Garmin GPS systems?

Hi

I use garmin.. And I just wont Garmin for me and my friends....

For me the garmin just have one problem... The map refresh is a little slow.... With pois and without them... Maybe change the firmware by a costum firmware this cam be solved...

Radar Fanatic

I run nothing but Garmin and have for years.

My brother and dad both have tom toms and IMHO they suck.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

I've had a Garmin for about 3 years now, I can only hope the new ones are better.

There are only a few problems I've had with it. I can't remember any extreme failures like sending me to a dead end, so if these are the only problems I've had in 3 years I'd say it's probably better than your tomtom.

One time, I was trying to get to a guy's house to buy a set of wheels and tires. It got me on to the right road, but told me the destination was about half a mile before the actual house number.

The refresh rate and accuracy suffered in NYC. With buildings blocking 80% of the sky, I'm not sure if that's really a problem.

It considers staying straight on the same highway when there's another one that branches off to be a "turn". It was confusing at first because you had to read what it's asking you to do and pay attention to the map to tell if it really wants you to "turn" and get off or just make sure you're in the correct lane to go straight.

The distance-to-turn is not 100% accurate, but it's usually enough to let you figure out which road you're looking for.

POI settings are a little screwed up. According to Garmin I should be able to set POIs to give me ~30 seconds of alert at whatever speed I'm going at. That never worked, so I have to set them for distance - 1/2 mile is barely adequate on the highway and kind of annoying in town.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by unmamfqlm View Post

It's not the Tomtom itself, but the maps and what not for it.
    Yeah, it's Navteq (Garmin) vs. TeleAtlas (Tom Tom). That's the problem. TeleAtlas is Europe-based, FWIW. Navteq is USA

I've seen some alarming comparisons between Garmin and TomTom in the trade publications.

Professional

BTW, unmamfqlm, if you are ready to upgrade, one of the Garmin dealers* has a sick deal on a re-furb'd 265WT for $120. I liked the unit it so much I bought a 2nd. The display and amount of info provided in the main view is awesome.

*we're not allowed to mention competitor names on the forum

Radar Fanatic

I have Garmin for a few years.It works ace.

Newcomer

I have a Garmin 176C that I use on my M/C. It does not do routing but is fully waterproof, so the maps are fine. I was given a Garmin by work, I did not like the operation or the maps at all. I have been using a Magellan Maestro 4040 for about 3 years now. I LOVE IT! It has never taken me down a wrong street. It has a great docking station that I have in 2 cars. Works perfect and has blue tooth hands free. What it will not do is send GPS info over the Blue-Tooth to my Verizon Blackberry so I can run Trapster. Other wise my only complaint is the Magellan web site is out of the Map Upgrade CD for 45 days now. Gez, How long does it take to make CD'S. The best part was I picked it up on refurbished for $140.00.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/04/r...estro_4040.php

Here is a link for a test of the unit. Tnx

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by nomore55 View Post

It's not the Tomtom itself, but the maps and what not for it.
    Yeah, it's Navteq (Garmin) vs. TeleAtlas (Tom Tom). That's the problem. TeleAtlas is Europe-based, FWIW. Navteq is USA

I've seen some alarming comparisons between Garmin and TomTom in the trade publications.
    Ah, I see. I wasn't sure how the map stuff worked for GPS systems. That does make sense.

Lead Foot

I have a Tomtom one, and the thing is just about useless to me. It's not the Tomtom itself, but the maps and what not for it. I can't count how many times that it has taken me to dead ends, uneccesary routes, and to wrong locations in general. I do keep it updated, but it still doesn't fix the issues. I'm thinking about purchasing a Garmin to try out for a while to see if they may be better. What do you all think about the Garmin GPS systems?
    i think u may encounter the same problem with garmin. i been using a garmin frequently and like the tomtom you have, it has the same problem. i'm not sure how much problem you are having with ur tomtom but i csn say, garmin will have close to the same with about any gps. longer route, dead ends, lag times.. but over all and all, i believe my gps help me countless when i'm lost or need go somewhere i need to be. one thing i dont like about my 780 is that the gps sometimes hard to get a lock. but who am i to compare, i never use anything else besides a garmin.. so i'm sure with some research you will find another one right for you to use.