Newcomer

Default Windshield Tint Band and V1 Laser Detection: Any tests?

Please don't take this as another "Do I mount high or low?" thread, I have done my research and have seen many of the same questions asked time and time again, including the fact that mounting behind the tint band on a windshield will degrade laser reception. I have also read Mike Valentine's mounting guide and what it says about mounting behind the tint band. There is also a 20% non-metallic tint on all other windows so I think it is safe to say that a rear laser alert is not going to happen (too late anyway). I have chosen to mount high after seeing that Laser is used on my commute route. How high is the problem.

My question is: Have any tests been done in measuring laser detection when the detector is mounted right behind the tint band vs. mounting just below?

I currently have it mounted directly behind the factory tint band on my vehicle but I would like to reconsider my mounting location. I realize that the factory tint varies on each vehicle but on mine, it is dark enough to completely conceal the detector from the outside and I am concerned that I am not taking advantage of all of the laser capabilities of the V1.

I still get laser alerts from NYPD Highway Patrol which I believe to be scatter (unless they were being nice and not selecting a 70 in a 50), but if there is anything I can do to give me a better edge in detection, I'm all for it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Good Citizen

Default mine is mounted high

i dont know if this would answer your question but i got .4 mile warning on Laser LTI yesterday, my V1 is mounted behind the factory tint and i have no problem detecting laser from the front. I actually get a good amount of time to react. i hope this help. i know this is not a test but the real deal...

Speed Demon

Good question I would also like to know.

Newcomer

elcapy:

I have also had very early warnings with the V1. In the few weeks that I have had it, I have clocked over 2500 miles and have had my share of traps. I did not bother to check the distance on mine but I am curious how dark your tint band is. In my Oldsmobile, the tint on the windshield is almost darker than the aftermarket tint I had installed on the rest of the car.

What vehicle were you driving when you received the .4 mile warning?

Good Citizen

Default here is a picture

Here is a picture of what it looks like from the inside but from the outside i can't see the V1 at all even if i look at it directly but i have limo black on the rear 3 windows and 25% on the driver and passenger side.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14712550368.jpg&s=f5

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Windshield Tint Band and V1 Laser Detection: Any tests?

Quote Originally Posted by speedneed2
    My question is: Have any tests been done in measuring laser detection when the detector is mounted right behind the tint band vs. mounting just below?
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...=11077&start=0

a few members did some informal tests which you can try yourself...check it out

Newcomer

Great information. I just got back from running a quick test as you described and noticed some change in distance but only about 2 feet with a cable remote. I will post some pictures of my V1 install later this evening both here and as a contribution to the install thread.

For my personal vehicle, the tint has some effect so I think I will lower it to a little below the darkest point as the tint is gradient with darkest at the top.
    I'd also like to point out what Mike Valentine says about the subject in case someone would like the opinion direct from the source. It is widely accepted that it is good to mount high for laser but Mike doesn't really stress the loss of alert but rather justifies the high location with an increase in radar range.

Laser loss:
    http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt2.asp

Mike's article on mounting high, even behind the tint band:
    http://www.valentine1.com/laserhowto/

Mounting high behind the tint band may reduce the laser signal somewhat, but it reduces the sunlight contamination by the same amount. The result is an unchanged laser-to-sunlight ratio from the scene beyond your vehicle, but with reduced hood reflections owing to a higher vantage point—a net gain. Only in the dead of night would a just-below-the-tint-band mounting position be beneficial.
    Seems like during the day behind the tint is the best choice for my windshield and then after sundown, move it a little lower if there is a threat of laser.

Old Timer

Default Re: midway

I mount my V1 midway between the dash and mirror and it still has excellent detection. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this one. Mk