3 8.57%
  • Don't know and Don't Care

4 11.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Ka Guard on or off?

Ka Guard on or off?

Professional

True--true--I turned mine off all of 5 minutes, its all I could take of KA falsing! I dont see how these other guys are keeping theres off???

V1 Zombie

Keep it on

Speed Demon

It drove me nuts.
    But it is fun too. Detecting all the detectors around you.

Lead Foot

Off. I think I and Airmoore have the same goofy V1 issues that VR doesn't want to fix right (both of us have sent them in and they apparently still behave the same way before we sent them in).

I have the false alarm guard off. I commute to work 25 miles one way on the interstate and/or an old highway through some small towns. I live in a very rural area and my V1 falses no more than my old RX-65 did. It falses maybe one time in three back and forth trips to work (Ka detection that I cannot confirm the source). So once in 150 miles or so. This is however the same route(s) over and over.
    I've driven it through Salt Lake City 3 or 4 times since I've owned it and it goes bannana's on K and Ka bands whether I have the false alarm guard on or off anyway.

Like I said, I think I've got a goofy detector in the first place but I drive with it off.
    When I had the false alarm guard on against the Utah Highway Patrol Ka Talon radar guns, It gave me minimal warning, often times I think I would have most certainly been picked off if I would have been speeding. With the guard off it gives (in my opinion and experences) me much greater warning and sensitivity when encountering those Talon guns and in most every single circumstance since I've turned it off enough time to adjust my speed if I'm moving along a little faster than the speed limit. Definitely not for everybody, but its working for me.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by MMeteor
    Off. I think I and Airmoore have the same goofy V1 issues that VR doesn't want to fix right (both of us have sent them in and they apparently still behave the same way before we sent them in).

I have the false alarm guard off. I commute to work 25 miles one way on the interstate and/or an old highway through some small towns. I live in a very rural area and my V1 falses no more than my old RX-65 did. It falses maybe one time in three back and forth trips to work (Ka detection that I cannot confirm the source). So once in 150 miles or so. This is however the same route(s) over and over.
    I've driven it through Salt Lake City 3 or 4 times since I've owned it and it goes bannana's on K and Ka bands whether I have the false alarm guard on or off anyway.

Like I said, I think I've got a goofy detector in the first place but I drive with it off.
    When I had the false alarm guard on against the Utah Highway Patrol Ka Talon radar guns, It gave me minimal warning, often times I think I would have most certainly been picked off if I would have been speeding. With the guard off it gives (in my opinion and experences) me much greater warning and sensitivity when encountering those Talon guns and in most every single circumstance since I've turned it off enough time to adjust my speed if I'm moving along a little faster than the speed limit. Definitely not for everybody, but its working for me.
    You would be a good candidate for the new 3.851 and keeping the false gaurd ON to see if you get teh same detection--since it has been found you get the same instant KA response now with the new version......

ES13Raven

On - too many falses without it :shock:

Experienced

I leave mine on. I have tried it off, but there is way too many falses. I get enough with it on because everybody has a cobra or one of them POS radio shack brand detectors.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Holla
    Quote Originally Posted by MMeteor

You would be a good candidate for the new 3.851 and keeping the false gaurd ON to see if you get teh same detection--since it has been found you get the same instant KA response now with the new version......
    Naw,
    Not going to spring for the upgrade until I hear that it make sense to do so. I've heard some people say its worth it, but its pretty subjective.

Early on, I thought my V1 with the guard on was a major pile. Running the guard off has made it an acceptable detector now (at least I think so). It does false, but again, it did around other detectors and other unidentified sources before with the guard on. With the crappy detectors and the guard on it "J"ed them out, some unidentified sources continued to alert like it does now with the guard off, but no more so then than now.
    With the guard off, it doesn't "J" anything out now and I havn't worried about a "J" out against the highway patrol either.
    I'm going to give it a few months, I'm in no hurry to upgrade especially if its $75 under warrenty or not. I'm also not inclined to spend $75 if the only difference is that when you power it up with the power knob pushed in it says 3_8_5_1 rather than 3_8_2_6,, I want confirmation not a subjective statement.
    If I keep hearing that the 3.851 is a butt stomper, I'll do it, otherwise, I plan to make no changes unless its a decent performance upgrade.