Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scratonicity Groupie

Default Signs your 3.851 might be in trouble.

I thought I would compile a list of problems I have noticed with my 3.851 so that other users can decipher if they have a bad unit or if it starts to go bad.

1. Awful Ka range. You will see the cop car then get your alert and it will appear as if its instant on. I never got one Ka alert that was legit before I could physically see the cop car.

2. Ghosting. You will K & Ka ghosting for no reason.
    EX: Three times now I have been driving on an old empty farm road and gotten Ka ghosting from the rear & front where it will count up to 3 bogeys, then down to 2, then back to 3, then it will disappear. Same for K band today while driving on RT 1. I got a K ghost from the side arrows for a good half mile.

3. K band seems to quiet? If you are like me and came from 3.826 you know it was a monster and had to be tamed with some custom settings. If you can slap this thing on big L and it stays quiet something is up.

4. " E " if you have ever gotten this which I have 3 times its a clear sign something is screwed up. Send it back asap.

5. Laser detection is hit or miss. I have done a lot of testing with board memebers laser guns and with 3.826 I got a constant steady alert on the JTG's and a constant alert till around 800FT on JFG runs with it.
    With the 3.851 on the JTG runs it will some times just stop at 500Ft making me think there was punch through. But then it will wait 2 seconds and go again. As per rear laser detection its basically non exisitant with 3.851.

Mines going out today with a huge very negative letter.

Radar Fanatic

$HIT...

Newcomer

My new V1 should arrive today.

In the meantime, while looking through some old posts it appears there are actually more good reports of the 3.851 units than bad. It just keeps getting rehashed by the same few users that theirs is defective.

I wonder if UPS dropped yours too many times.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Signs your 3.851 might be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton

3. K band seems to quiet? If you are like me and came from 3.826 you know it was a monster and had to be tamed with some custom settings. If you can slap this thing on big L and it stays quiet something is up.

Wow, this is mine -

Sometimes the automute works - sometimes it doesn't. It appears as if the unit wants to supress it but than it doesn't. I think I might send mine in too than .

Radar Fanatic

Does "L" affect K band or not? Or does it affect K only if automute is set? I wasn't clear on that.

GTO_04

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    Does "L" affect K band or not? Or does it affect K only if automute is set? I wasn't clear on that.
    Only if K band muting is enabled. :wink:

Lead Foot

Dunno whats up with V1 keeping mind tell somethin big happens...i broke out the X50 2 days ago for a change...

Radar Fanatic

I'm glad I had my dad's (8 yrs. old) 1.7 fixed instead of upgraded! The repair was free BTW. No upgrades for me until they get all the bugs worked out.

GTO_04

Newcomer

Default Re: Signs your 3.851 might be in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    I thought I would compile a list of problems I have noticed with my 3.851 so that other users can decipher if they have a bad unit or if it starts to go bad.

1. Awful Ka range. You will see the cop car then get your alert and it will appear as if its instant on. I never got one Ka alert that was legit before I could physically see the cop car.

2. Ghosting. You will K & Ka ghosting for no reason.
    EX: Three times now I have been driving on an old empty farm road and gotten Ka ghosting from the rear & front where it will count up to 3 bogeys, then down to 2, then back to 3, then it will disappear. Same for K band today while driving on RT 1. I got a K ghost from the side arrows for a good half mile.

4. " E " if you have ever gotten this which I have 3 times its a clear sign something is screwed up. Send it back asap.

5. Laser detection is hit or miss. I have done a lot of testing with board memebers laser guns and with 3.826 I got a constant steady alert on the JTG's and a constant alert till around 800FT on JFG runs with it.
    With the 3.851 on the JTG runs it will some times just stop at 500Ft making me think there was punch through. But then it will wait 2 seconds and go again. As per rear laser detection its basically non exisitant with 3.851.

This is basically true for 3.852 as well.

Laser seemed to be doing quite well (against my remote, anyway) but I'm not about to say it was great or lacking due to my lack of testing.

It is very bad that VR is willing to risk their reputation this way. Spending $400 on the "very best" RD and then having one of the worst isn't something they should be too proud of. Not to mention the fact they are saying "nothing is wrong, we've had no reports, etc" just shows either they are not clued in or are lying. I know of one person who will be promptly sending in the V1 if it isn't fixed and working properly and purchasing an RX65 if it doesn't work this time.

Good Citizen

I havent experienced any of these issues. Alert times have been awesome here, except for the Instant on i got hit by the other day,,,,, Yikes........