Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default The V1, the perfect choice for the paranoid ;)

I's funny, I don't deliberately speed, and I already own a nice detector (Rev. 5 X50), yet I *STILL* want a V1....

Here's why...

Many people decry the "chattiness" of the V1, calling the non-LEO detections "falses", that may well be, but if there is a source of radar in my vicinity, *I WANT TO KNOW*, I can use my own internal "computer" to determine if it's a threat, I don't care if it's a door opener, an alarm system, or a crapra, I want to know the threat of radar is in the area. Whenever my X50 goes off, my first instinct is a quick visual scan, front, rear, and sides, every time it beeps, I want to know where the source is, not only so I can plan my response strategy, but also, just to know where the radar source is....

for example, when I travel home after work, I cross over the middle bridge on the Route 1 Bypass in Portsmouth, the X50 *ALWAYS* falses with a 2-3 dot X-band (ExpertMeter) false at "Point A" indicated on the map below, I'd just like to know what the source of the false is, more than likely the house by the highway has an alarm system or something....

Here's known false location #2;

I get a 2 dot K band false at Point A, it rises to a 3 dot false as I enter the traffic circle, and ends at Point B
    the building at the 12:00 position is a NH State Liquor Store, the building at the 3:00 position is a Howard Johnsons resturant and a hotel, the X50 is *probably* picking up the door openers on the liquor store, but it also *could* be picking up the resturant or hotel, sometimes, I'll enter the circle and see a Ka band alert as well as the K band, Ka is generally 4+ dots, I have yet to see a police cruiser, but they could be in the parking lot of the liquor store....

I drive with all the bands on the X50 (sans POP) active, my detector needs are simple, give me maximum sensitivity, let me know the number and location of the radar sources, and *I'LL* determine if they're a threat, thank you, the last thing I want is the detector making the determination of what's a threat or not, that's not it's job, threat assesment is *MY* job

besides, my default response when the X50 alerts, is to take my foot off the gas and prepare to brake, *then* determine location and source of the threat, even if I'm already going the PSL

I'm thinking that the arrows of the V1 would be a great help in my threat assesment here, and I find that the reputed "chattiness" actually would be beneficial to a paranoid driver like me

once my tax refund arrives, it'll be buying me my V1.....

Lead Foot

Excellent, I feel the same way after my X50's Auto mode let me down on an X band leo here in Gallatin. It's good to see more people turn to the dark side I'm a multitasker, I guess that's why I like to know everything going on all at once and I too hate when people cry about the V1 "falsing"(on a real radar signal, albeit a door opener, or what have you). Having a more sensitive detector means you pick up things you never knew existed with inferior RD's, hence why people who upgrade to a V1 hear a beep and see no LEO, and then get all pissy. And hey, it may turn out that you hate the V1, if so take advantage of the 30 days But I still say don't let the Rev 5 X50 get out of your grip :P

Good Citizen

Don't worry, Ven0m, just like the V1 is *your* Precioussss, the X50 is *My* Preciousss, seeing as how difficult it is to find a "new" S7 horn Rev 5 nowadays, I have no intention of getting rid of it....

Newcomer

Hello Ven0mizer - I am curious about the X band let down from your X50 - what happened? I run an X50 so please let me know!

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave
    Hello Ven0mizer - I am curious about the X band let down from your X50 - what happened? I run an X50 so please let me know!
    Basically my X50 waited until the strength of the LEO's X band gun was practically full strength before it went off, EXACTLY as it did EVERY day when I went by CO-OP. The driver of the unmarked (no tint, so I can clearly see the HUGE radar unit and blue lights) had his hands on the steering wheel so it was not I/O, and as he went the other direction it dropped down to about half strength and immediately went silent...I reached up and put it into H mode and it started alerting again *scratches head* Another time was when I was getting off of Vietnam Vets highway I would be running in H mode and picking him up at an ungodly long distance, I would reach up and set it to auto mode, and then it would fall silent....about 10 seconds later I put it back in H mode and it started alerting again, eventually I went by the cop and he already had someone pulled over. Same old guy, same old technology...the "Auto" mode on the X50 is the reason I run the V1 in A mode all the time...I won't trust the computer to filter anything for me anymore It could just be the gun has drifted into the "known door opener frequencies" from heat and age...I dunno...

Edit: I will also mention the V1 does the same thing for the CO-OP door opener, it waits until almost full strength before it alerts in L mode...never tried to experiment on this LEO though....I will have to do it I'm going to start carrying my camera with me to film this guy, he's funny looking

Newcomer

Thanks - I always run with Highway mode on no matter what but I was curious...

Good Citizen

I *ONLY* run my X50 in Highway mode (with the Cylon/K.I.T.T-esque scanning dot**), even when in the city, I don't want or trust the filtering criteria, why *wouldn't* you want to know about every possible threat?

(**If only it would make the faint "vwmmm-vwmmm" noise while idle, oh and if it *did* have voice alerts, have them be Cylon Centurion voices for the bands, and "By Your Command" for any function/setting changes )

Lead Foot

Hehehehe then no worries Highway mode FTW IMO

Lead Foot

Yea I always run my V1 in A mode. I like to do the filtering myself. And the arrows do a great job of determining if its a false or not. But thats just my opinion.

Radar Fanatic

k falsing on the V1 is so bad im ready to just turn off k and just have Ka and laser on.. lol.