View Poll Results: How long does your V1 last before it needs a tuneup?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-1 years

4 19.05%
  • 1-2 years

9 42.86%
  • 2-3 years

3 14.29%
  • 3-4 years

1 4.76%
  • 5+ years

4 19.05%
    Good Citizen

Question How often do you need to send your V1 for a tuneup?

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted. I guess my radar detector obsession wore off after I had purchased a X50 and a V1.

I purchased a 3.813 V1 off of E-bay about a year and half ago and had it tuned up. Now I'm afraid that I'll have to send it in again because I'm getting less detection with the front antenna than the rear one.

My rear antenna is much more sensitive than the front and this was verified again today when I passed an LEO running constant Ka band. I got .2 miles alert as I passed the LEO shooting KA directly at me and the signal strength was at 4-5. Once I passed the LEO, the signal strength jumped to 7-8 with the rear antenna and I got a good .4-.5 miles of detection from the rear and the LEO wasn't even facing the direction of the rear antenna.

Also, I have a feeling that the bogey counter isn't as accurate as it might have been before. Does that tend to happen with V1s over time? I know since it has two antenna, it might pick up the same radar source twice since it may bounce off, but lately I've been getting bogey's of 2-4 when I drive by the one radar source.

It got me thinking though if I have to spend $45 every 18 months to keep the V1 in tune, then for me, it's not really worth it IMO. Do the newer V1s require less frequent tune ups now that they have different internal components than the older ones? If so, I may be considering purchasing a new one.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: How often do you need to send your V1 for a tuneup?

I have had to send my unit in on average I would say about 2-3times a year (on the conservative side) because it falls out of tune annually (actually a piece keeps breaking inside of it, though they will not tell me what).

Most people will note I am the exception rather then the rule though... but it proves that this does happen at VR too, and its extremely frustrating for me to that extent.

Whats your V1's version #?

Your V1 is most likely falling out of tune... heck its an electronic device, so its bound to happen: send it back.

*Normally VR is amazing with this stuff... send your unit and a brief description of your problem, and normally they take care of it (most of the time at little or no expense to you). I had the exact problem you describe when my unit was sent to me (the front was worse at detection then the rear antenna).

Good Citizen

I'm new to the V1. What would be considred "out of tune"? What symptons?

Good Citizen

iazybandit, I'm assuming that you won't have to worry about your unit being out of tune unless it displays an 'E'. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but the newer V1s will display a E if it needs service?

AirMoore, you still keep the V1 even though you have to send it in so much? Do they charge for each time you send it in?

I have a V1.8, rev. 3.813 V1, but am debating on whether to get a new unit or not, even though some members swear that the pre-pop version of the V1 is the best.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed in the V1 if it requires a tune up every year. I love the arrows and the performance, but if it requires me to spend $45 a year, I'm not too thrilled about that. So far I haven't had to send in my X50 or my Bel 895, or 965 for service and I bought all of these units second hand so they're probably going on 4+ years without problem.

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, I keep it, but now its a strictly highway use detector in the car. It sees no rural/city/motorcycle action at all anymore because it simply fails to often to use it that much. When it is working on the highway with no false alerts around its a darn great unit!

To answer your question: No they do not charge me when I send it in... I only pay for shipping. VR takes care of its customers... Mike (the tech) has yet to fail me... he is courteous and understanding and always fixes the problem.

If they did charge me for any of them... I would not own a V1 right now, because your correct $150 upkeep a year on the thing that I can only use on highway trips is not worth it.

Again I seem to be the exception rather then the rule... but it shows it does happen I have never *knocks on wood* had a problem with any of my Belscort units either... or my old Whistler for that matter.

Old Timer

once a year

Experienced

Essentially never, probably not necessary either with 3.85x units and later.

Old Timer

no? what happens when they throw an E?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005 View Post
    no? what happens when they throw an E?
    Yeah... the E is an error message, so if it throws one the unit must be serviced.

Also there are most likely things that the E error does not cover (where it will not be displayed) where the unit will still be defective.

Its basically a Belscort 'Service Req.' message.