Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified V1

Power User

Default Re: Modified V1

John, you weren't here when RadarKid first joined, but everyone told him the same thing: "Go away. You're being ass.". That didn't stop him now, did it?"

I think it is actually a stand-up thing to keep posting and defending your product and services. For a potential customer, it might look good at the top of Google to see you defend, then run away, even if people disagree with you. But don't lower your standards.

After all, nearly everyone disagreed with RadarKid when he first joined, and most still do.

Almost Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishOne View Post
    John, you weren't here when RadarKid first joined, but everyone told him the same thing: "Go away. You're being ass.". That didn't stop him now, did it?"

I think it is actually a stand-up thing to keep posting and defending your product and services. For a potential customer, it might look good at the top of Google to see you defend, then run away, even if people disagree with you. But don't lower your standards.

After all, nearly everyone disagreed with RadarKid when he first joined, and most still do.
    now thats not true
    just a select few.

and I dont have a RD business I'm promoting; or negatively promoting on a forum specifically for RD's and enthusiasts. People come HERE to learn about RD's. Not a good move for business.

People can think I'm an Ahole.....I won't lose any sleep...or more importantly $$$ over it. Unfortunately he's playing with something much more important....his business reputation.
    Last edited by RadarKid; 04-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.

[I'm doing a quick "insert-edit" here at the top of this. While I was typing the following post, several others were posting as well. I see that they've already started moving this discussion "out of the gutter" and I'm glad for that. Now, on to what I wrote]:

Let's see if we can get this discussion back out of the gutter. I regret allowing myself to be dragged down to that level, and I think we all would rather see some civility return to this forum (a forum I've participated on several times in the past several years).

I have a question for all of the naysayers out there:

Hypothetically speaking, if I was selling new Valentine Ones without changing the programming, but merely adding the 5 year warranty to the units for the additional $100, would you all be gripping then?

Keep in mind that if you buy a SquareTrade warranty for a $400 Car Electronics item, they will charge you $54.99 for a three year warranty. I am charging $100 for a 5 year warranty - and as we all know, the likelihood of a repair increases as the item gets older. Squaretrade charges $18.33 per year for their warranty, and I charge $20 per year for mine - so how is it that anyone here could think I am some kind of villian? Even if I stopped doing the reprogramming of the units tomorrow, and still charged $499, I think I would still pass muster.

And by the way, I've gotten LOTS of good feedback from my customers regarding the programming I do. Several of them have friends with stock V1s and they notice and like the difference. Could they figure out how to reprogram the unit themselves by spending some time searching the internet? Sure. But that doesn't mean they'd want to bother doing it. Lots of people pay other people to do things for them. That's what drives an economy.

I think a lot of confusion was caused by my calling this thread "Modified V1". As I wrote to Virion, I only chose that title for the thread because I was responding to a thread about me in December called "Modified V1???". I do not claim to "modify" the inards of the Valentine One. On my website, and in my eBay auctions, it says I "custom-program" the units. I do not mislead people. I tell them what I do, and I also tell them they can buy a stock Valentine One directly from the factory for just $399. I don't need to lie to people. My 5 year warranty, customs programming, and 30 day return policy sell the units for me.

One other thing I usually do when I talk to potential buyers: I tell them there are no official V1 "dealers" and I warn them about all the sellers who just take a factory V1 and slap a $100 profit on the unit (as far as I know, the other V1 resellers out there only sell the units with the one year warranty and no programming). I think that is the real ripoff occurring out there.

Understand, I'm not looking for anyone's "blessings" and I'm certainly not looking to sell any units to any of you. But it does bother me to read some of the things some of the people on this site have said about me. It's one thing to decide that spending an extra $100 for programming you know how to do, and a 5 year warranty you don't think you need is not for you - but it's quite another to call the seller of that product a liar, a "scam artist" and/or any of the other names and defamations that have been thrown my way.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
    RadarDetectors1
    Last edited by John@RadarDetectors1; 04-09-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Audi Driver View Post

Wow...800 customers and not 1 single one on this site.
    Here's one:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...tml#post477569

John

Good Citizen

John,

Personally, it saddens me to see the beating you've been taken in this thread and I applaud you for remaining professional, active and cool. I am one of the folks that see's no problem in what you're offering. I get it and I say let the buyer decide. You're selling the V1 for $100 more than it's manufacturer direct price. This should cause people to ask why. The answers aren't that hard to find.

If I were to buy a V1, I would take one for $399 simply because I don't see a lot of value in the programming (that I will likely mess with myself) or the additional warranty duration. But hey, that's me. I'm a buyer and I'm not an idiot. I can decide if the benefits are valuable to me. Many may disagree with my perception of that value. Good for you. Take their money and give them the package.

If others agree, I encourage you to speak up so we can show that these forums are balanced.

Professional

well I dont have a problem with John selling the V1...No big deal...would be nice if he would post some useful information about the V1 on the board instead of fighting with other members
    After all thats why we are here right?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by John@RadarDetectors1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Virion View Post
    It's not a modified V1. If you stated that each unit comes "pre-programmed" to cut down on false alarms, I don't think anyone here would have any issues at all. Modifying something makes people think that you have enhanced the software or hardware in some fashion. You haven't done this. I do feel you provide a value to your customers by "pre-programming" each unit and providing an extended warranty.

This is ironic: I DON'T claim the units are "modified" - on my website I say they are "custom-programmed".

The only reason I used the title "Modified V1" in this thread is because this thread is a response to another thread someone else started in December about my company, and that thread was entitled, "Modified V1???" See:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...tml#post476696

From my website:

"Valentine One Radar / Laser Detector and Locator with custom programming to reduce 90% of false alarms and 5 year warranty!!! (US & Canada)"

By the way, it was refreshing to read what you wrote - I'm glad that there are also normal people on this forum.

As for the others, I've never laughed as hard in my life as I have at the Jr. High antics of some of the other posters. Apparently, they think getting "owned" means having a bunch of Jr. High kids making up a bunch of lies about you and entertaining themselves with them. Hopefully they'll eventually grow up and maybe join little league or something. Sitting in front of their computers is definitely not contributing to their mental well-being.

Best wishes,

John
    I stand corrected, but 90% is definitely misleading. 10% is closer to the truth. The V1 even programmed is chatty as hell. I personally have no issues with the product or service you provide. It drives me crazy when I walk into a Best Buy and see a salesperson selling Monster Cables to a customer that has no idea how overpriced they are. They have no idea you can get equal or better cables for a ton less. I hate when sales personnel state that Bose speakers are the best when in fact they are in fact very cheap speakers with horrible sound quality for their price. I also realize we must all make a living and we must all put food on the table for our families and our children.

Almost Banned

It drives me crazy when I walk into a Best Buy and see a salesperson selling Monster Cables to a customer that has no idea how overpriced they are. They have no idea you can get equal or better cables for a ton less.
    FWIW, MonsterCables are killer. You pay extra because A - they are made better/last longer than other $hit, and B - because (at least the musician cables) they replace them free at ANY MonsterCable dealer no questions asked.

If you know of another co. that makes the same quality cables, AND replaces them for free at ANY store selling M.C. products with no questions asked....educate me...because I'll be happy to know of them!

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by RadarKid View Post
    It drives me crazy when I walk into a Best Buy and see a salesperson selling Monster Cables to a customer that has no idea how overpriced they are. They have no idea you can get equal or better cables for a ton less.
    FWIW, MonsterCables are killer. You pay extra because A - they are made better/last longer than other $hit, and B - because (at least the musician cables) they replace them free at ANY MonsterCable dealer no questions asked.

If you know of another co. that makes the same quality cables, AND replaces them for free at ANY store selling M.C. products with no questions asked....educate me...because I'll be happy to know of them!

I know of one....so long as it's within 5 years of purchase, RadarDetectors1 will stand by their sale!

rc

Power User

That's twice now that John has claimed he was done with this discussion and was leaving, and twice that he's come back afterwards to continue digging a deeper hole for himself.

I can see that John Mohan is a man of his word.