Thread: 1.7 question

Default 1.7 question

I have a 1.7. The version is 2.690. Should I upgrade or is this unit good enough? It has laser detection and no POP. It serves me well and the K and Ka range seems good. The laser is also good and it rarely falses. If I get a laser hit, it is a LEO. I am not sure about it's spectre performance but on the rare occasion I pass through Va. If V1 had a new model that was invisible to spectre I would upgrade. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: 1.7 question

brisk just went through this, read several threads down, what does your upgrade say,
    does it say if you have mode memory?
    I needed to ask brisk this question as he had version 2695.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...-question.html

Not too many people care about 1.7's on this board but I have my reasons.

Professional

KA range is better on the 1.8. I think it is worth the upgrade...

V1 Dave,

Yes it has a mode memory. This has been the most reliable unit. I had it tuned up once. It is the V1 workhorse. But with the threat of Ka becoming more prevalent, I thought the upgrade may be worth it. The upgrade is $225.

Radar Fanatic

Don't underestimate the 1.7! As far as Ka band, you should only see a difference on 35.5 Ka based on Michael B's lab tests. In the Alpine Invitational
    my 1.7 was almost as good as my 1.8 on 35.5, a tenth of a mile difference on a 1.4 mile alert.

If laser falses are a problem, you may be better off with a 1.7. I can pick up laser aimed at my fog lights 100 ft. away. That's a pretty good field of view IMHO. And it will not false on Infinity SUVs.

Spectre could only pick up my 1.7 at 118 ft.

K band QT on the 1.7 is better than the 1.8 with POP off.

There is a lot to be said for the 1.7! I have firmware 2.690 and it does have memory mode.

GTO_04

Radar Fanatic

GTO, first off thanks for sticking up for the 1.7's they are hot units with minimal to no glitches yet most people want nothing to do with them, everyone want the latest firmware like they are going to get more range or something.

You said in Serial Number, Software Version, Manufacturing Date - The Definitive Answer
    "My 1.7 has front and lear laser sensors, superwide Ka detection, purchased in late 1997"

Yet in the chart version 2.690 is in the first version class indicating no K band automute?
    How can this be?
    Do you have K band automute?
    Are you sure it is not 3.690? angry_mob_justice is the same unit as yours,
    2.690 what is the last three of yours as well Angry,

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave View Post
    GTO, first off thanks for sticking up for the 1.7's they are hot units with minimal to no glitches yet most people want nothing to do with them, everyone want the latest firmware like they are going to get more range or something.

You said in Serial Number, Software Version, Manufacturing Date - The Definitive Answer
    "My 1.7 has front and lear laser sensors, superwide Ka detection, purchased in late 1997"

Yet in the chart version 2.690 is in the first version class indicating no K band automute?
    How can this be?
    Do you have K band automute?
    Are you sure it is not 3.690? angry_mob_justice is the same unit as yours,
    2.690 what is the last three of yours as well Angry,
    I don't use K band automute and have never tried it. Anything that reduces K band protection I want no part of! I definitely have 2.690 so no I do not even have K band automute on my 1.7.

GTO_04

Thanks for the input. I thought the spectre performance was really good but I was not sure about the Ka performance. I was curious to know about the performance since my job may be sending me into Va more often. Hopefully that won't happen but you never know. I need to research what Ka guns are used in and around me just to see if the 35.5 is that big of a problem. Thanks again!