Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Question on V1 buy

I was offered a V1(with all accessories) and a somewhat "screwed up power cord" for around $270 bucks on craigslist.
    Is this worth the buy? I guess i could always send it back for a tune-up for $40? How reliable do V1's tend to be?

Thanks for the advice!

snoopyc4

Default Re: Question on V1 buy

You mean how reliable used V1s are? Can't say. You never know what you'll get when you buy used. I'd play it safe and buy one straight from VR. Better to be safe than sorry.

Professional

Get the serial number, punch it into the VR site to see which version you have and then call VR to find out if it is stolen. After purchase, send it in for a tune up.

Experienced

....and, if you want to upgrade to the current software, that's another $135.

You are not saving enough to make that deal attractive. Buy new or try and buy a used one for under $175.

Radar Fanatic

Forget it. Buy a new one and get the joy of opening the box on YOUR new V1 872. That is little that you might save in this game for peace of mind, AND a full warranty from Valentine.

Experienced

Sounds like it might be better to save up another $130 for a new one.
    I'm not too familiar with versions of the V1 and how old they are.
    I asked the guy for the SERIAL # for hell's sake and this is what i got.

Can anyone interpret this for me?
    The 1.7 is the older model, right? Maybe a couple years or so?

Serial Number 5700800521

V1 Description: Radar circuitry known in-house as V1.7 gives high performance on all radar bands. Also, it remembers your “mode” setting when shut off. Has stack of four LEDs on front panel for band identification. Front and rear laser.

Upgrade Recommendation: While this version is not quite up to today’s V1 standard for Ka, it’s almost always good enough, and always better than detectors from other makers. X and K performance is excellent. Upgrading merely to improve radar performance is not cost effective, in my opinion, unless you’re concerned about the POP Mode operating in your area. Upgrading does bring other benefits, including our latest laser warning (front and rear), which outperforms the competitors by a wide margin, and POP Protection. Also, you'll get the new Euro Mode.

snoopyc4

The guy has a 1.7 version of the V1. The current version is the 1.8 so you'll end up sending it in for an upgrade anyway if you buy it. Better to save up and just buy a new V1.

Lead Foot

See if Valentine has an open box/returned V1. It's a little cheaper at $360.00 and comes with the same year warranty. There's no way you can tell an open box from a brand new one. It is thoroughly checked out by their techs. If anything is scratched, or damaged it's replaced.

I've had one for around 5-6 months. It's a great deal.

Experienced

Yeah, he offered me $250 for it- but it's still not worth it. He's making it sound like the V1 has been through multiple owners.
    I've heard of that open box deal for $360- that sounds pretty damn good. It may be worth saving up for instead of a refurb 8500.

Good Citizen

Not all deals are bad. I bought a used V1 with 3.585 (I think) for $250. It wasn't stolen or been handed down by multiple owners. It was a mutual friend who had it and didn't use it any longer.

The deals are out there my friends..... but I do know how comforting it is to buy new.