Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old V1 with no band identificaton?

My friend in Virginia has just offered to sell me his V1 detector for $250. He got it as a gift a long time ago and is not "comfortable" using it in Va since they are illegal there...

I currently own an RX65 and am impressed with it's performace, but I would really like to try a V1 for it's arrows and bogey counter, especially since we have a ton of K band signs in PA where I live.

He sent me a pic of the V1. I compared it with the pic of the V1 on V1s websight and noticed that his was missing the band identification part (a verticle like of text with "K, Ka, X, L" with lights for each one).

This is probabily a really old V1. Were there ever V1s made without the essential band identification feature? Does it somehow else report the band? I'd love to get this V1 for $250 as long as it can identify the radar band.

I uploaded the pic he sent me here:

http://nickswebcam.tripod.com/v1.jpg

Maybe one of you guys owns an older V1 and knows whats up. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Radar Fanatic

I have an older version too without band identification. It is version 1.7 I believe.

Advanced Member

Call up valentine and get a returned V1 for $360 it will be cheaper in the long run cause to update the 1.7 to the current version would cost $420+(Detector,and upgrade)

The BEL RX65 should have good enough range though

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

I just sent my V1 1.7 firmware 2.6XX with no band indentification for upgrade to V1 1.8 firmware 3.826, and the cost is US$229 + S&H (+ taxes when I get the new V1, I guess. I live in Canada).

Why don't you just get him to show a picture of his V1's serial #, then you can type that in on V1's website upgrade section to see exactly how much it will cost you? It's that easy.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdoggie
    I just sent my V1 1.7 firmware 2.6XX with no band indentification for upgrade to V1 1.8 firmware 3.826, and the cost is US$229 + S&H (+ taxes when I get the new V1, I guess. I live in Canada).

Why don't you just get him to show a picture of his V1's serial #, then you can type that in on V1's website upgrade section to see exactly how much it will cost you? It's that easy.
    well if your upgrade cost is $230 then his will be in that region....So he would spend a total of $480 to get an up-2-date V1. Just buy a new one at that cost

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

In my opinion, it is not worth it to take this route. Unless he lowers the price (quite a bit), you should just buy one brand new. Remember, it's gonna cost you money to ship to V1 for the upgrade. I think you would end up paying US$500+ to get it up to spec ($250 + $229 (or more for the upgrade) + S&H (to and from V1) = $500+).

crazyVOLVOrob, I agree with you 100%. I just posted my second reply too slow! Ha ha!

Default I didn't realize

wow... I didn't realize that they ever made V1s without band identification.

Just out of curiosity, does it detect all bands (K, Ka, X, Laser)?

Does it at least make a different noise for the different bands, or same noise for everything?

Maybe I will just fork over the $400 (or $360 for a 'returned unit').

Good Citizen

Default Re: Old V1 with no band identificaton?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedingVolvo
    He sent me a pic of the V1. I compared it with the pic of the V1 on V1s websight and noticed that his was missing the band identification part (a verticle like of text with "K, Ka, X, L" with lights for each one).

http://nickswebcam.tripod.com/v1.jpg

Maybe one of you guys owns an older V1 and knows whats up. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Looks like this unit is lacking rear laser, like I really doesnt support laser at all. They made two units back around 93-96, one with laser and one without. So this unit will only detect X, K, and Ka band. I think this is a 1.4v-1.5v with limited Wideband or SuperWideBand.

IMO, you really are better off purchase the new out of box detector from Valentine.

Experienced

It's an older 1.7 with front laser. It's not worth $250.00 in my opinion. I am running a 1.7 with front laser (Ver. 2.391) and it works quite well on all bands and laser. I will eventually upgrade (again), but right now it does everything I need it to with more than sufficent range-even on laser. I will upgrade when I get tired of not being able to program out 'X' band (the older units are not programmable), unless something new and great is changed in the V1 or I find I need something the newer units have like POP.