Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pre-laser V1

Experienced

Default Re: pre-laser V1

EDIT: Just read the post above; sounds like you'll have to upgrade your unit for Ka detection. But honestly, it might be cheaper to sell your current V1 on eBay and just by a brand new unit straight from VR. Price it out and see. But, if laser is more of a threat in your area than radar, definitely hold off on upgrading your V1 and save up for a set of LI's or Blinder's, whichever is in your price range, and you'll be much better protected on the road because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    As for illegality, don't be ridiculous. Speeding is illegal too.
    Very good point. As long as you're smart and go from jam to kill every time you get hit with laser, the officer should never know that you're operating jammers. Even in states where jammers are legal, you'd be stupid to try and jam the gun all the way to the officer because that's the kind of stuff that'll make jammers illegal.
    Last edited by Silverado12; 03-19-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Another reason you might think about upgrading is before a major upgrade VR had in late 96' early 97' V1 really sucked at Ka, could not remember the mode setting when turned off, and had more Ka falsing from other RD's.

http://web.archive.org/web/200102072.../superwide.asp

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    +1 on having your radar bands not working properly as well.
    *smacks forehead on desk* hahaha good point

Can the tune-up give me superwide protection or do I need an upgrade for that?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chawski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
    +1 on having your radar bands not working properly as well.
    *smacks forehead on desk* hahaha good point

Can the tune-up give me superwide protection or do I need an upgrade for that?
    It will need to be upgraded. Its going to cost $$$ too.

Yoda of Radar

Good info from Won and CJR. If the receiver was not built for that band to begin with, then sure enough, it can't be upgraded. Bummer. Not sure where you are located, but the Stalker and wideband Kustoms are a significant percentage of the current nationwide threat. If radar is your primary threat, then I'd get a new V1 now. If laser is the main threat, as it is in many metro areas, then get a Laser Interceptor first. Ideally, you would get both right away. Radarbusters.com offers a combo pack of the two at a discount for forum members.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Newcomer

From VR's website for my serial number
    V1 Description: Covers X, K, and all of Ka (33.4-36.0 GHz, sometimes called “superwide”). No laser warning.
    Comment: Finds all radars on road today; great on X and K, just okay on Ka--which gets to be more of a problem with each passing day now that Ka has become the fastest-growing radar type.
    Since it already "somewhat" does superwide Ka, would a tune-up get me the most current radar bands?

Sorry to sound like such a noob, just wanna get all the facts in line before i tune-up or upgrade.
    Last edited by chawski; 03-19-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chawski View Post
    From VR's website for my serial number
    V1 Description: Covers X, K, and all of Ka (33.4-36.0 GHz, sometimes called “superwide”). No laser warning.
    Comment: Finds all radars on road today; great on X and K, just okay on Ka--which gets to be more of a problem with each passing day now that Ka has become the fastest-growing radar type.
    Since it already does superwide Ka, would a tune-up get me the most current radar bands?

Sorry to sound like such a noob, just wanna get all the facts in line before i tune-up or upgrade.

If this is correct you are one of the few that have it with super wide band. A tune will do the trick, but i would call VR Monday to be sure.

Newcomer

is there a specific department/person I should ask to speak with? I called last week to try to find this stuff out and the woman that answered the phone just have me the generic "we wont know what is being tuned up until you send it in" answer. thats sorta an acceptable answer, but if im gonna spend the $270 on the upgrade, I dont want to spend another $45 first just to turn around and upgrade
    Last edited by chawski; 03-19-2011 at 04:35 PM.