Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Audi cars = K-band pollutors ?

I have noticed that the V1 always give erratic K-band warning signal when it is nearby Audi Q5, Audi AQ7, Newer Audi S5, Newer Audi A8....

The signal is can reach 4 LEDs when you are behind it (even from 200ft away) but it will alert both front and rear antenna especially when there is car behind you.
    What is the matter with these Audi cars, why are they polluting K-band?
    Does it use this signal for their parking distance warning or their distance cruise control?

Does it affect other radar brand?
    Last edited by MasterApex; 10-09-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Audi cars = K-band pollutors ?

lane assist, only does it on k band.

Quote Originally Posted by bombebomb View Post
    lane assist, only does it on k band.
    Is there a way to filter this out on V1?

I’ve read on the forum where a couple members said turning V1’s POP off helps, haven’t tried it.

I’ve got 90 percent I/O K band here with some LEO’s quick triggering. Add in a few MPH Ka Bee III’s with POP mode floating around town and I have to keep POP - ON. With the V1’s POP mode sweeping K band and 33.8 Ka band for POP an extra 5 times per cycle, I can’t leave home without it. From what I’ve read here V1’s POP mode ON will definitely catch the I/O and especially QT too aside from MPH’s POP guns.

Amazes me that these car makers, Bimmer, Audi, Mercedes, touting their European engineered luxury “race” cars and then essentially put K band radar guns in their cars so you can’t use a high end RD and polluting the roads for other drivers with RD’s too! What the heck were their sales, marketing and engineers thinking? Evidently having a major duh, duh-huh moment!

BC

Power User

Well, I don't think car makers care (or should care for that matter) about what frequency to run their road sensing equipment. The more relaxed FCC regulations around K band probably make it popular.

Even with POP OFF the V1 seems to catch QT pretty well.

Audi/Mercedes aren't the only offenders.... Pretty much any carmaker that has an adaptive cruise control system uses a sensor that emits something similar to police speed measuring equipment (either K-band or LIDAR). By far I'll have to complain more about Infiniti's sensor systems, which use LIDAR and set off the V1 like crazy on laser.

Agreed.

The Infiniti’s polluting with laser and some domestic name plates now polluting with K band lane assist or adaptive cruise / collision avoidance systems are bad enough. If drivers are not aware of their surrounding they should not have a license to drive IMO. I look at the makers of high end sports enthusiast’s cars and would expect them to go to a higher level and use a non polluting frequency, their actions indicate they don’t care.

BC

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge Cables View Post
    Amazes me that these car makers, Bimmer, Audi, Mercedes, touting their European engineered luxury “race” cars and then essentially put K band radar guns in their cars
    BMW, Audi, Mercedes. Where are all three of them based?

Germany.

What country is home to the one famous "Autobahn," the only network of public highways in the world with no absolute maximum speed limit?

Germany.

I have a feeling that the German automaker's attitudes toward countermeasure are similar to their attitude toward cup holders. Many German cars in the American market have been notorious for the poor design and small number of their cup holders. Apparently, in Germany, everyone is far too busy actually driving to worry about spilling their hot coffee, hastening the onset of their diabetes with flavored sugar water, or whatever else we Dumb, Ugly Americans do with our cup holders. Perhaps it's because they live in a country that can be crossed East-to-West in six and a half hours, according to Google maps. If I drove six and a half hours from here, I'd only be able to reach North Carolina, Central Ohio, Central New York, or maybe Massachusetts. When road trips can take days and even your commute can be a daily marathon, you need to have your liquids.

Similarly, I don't think they see the necessity of countermeasures. Maybe they believe that American drivers are so terrible that we can't be trusted to go fast, and even the skilled and attentive among us shouldn't go fast because of all the other idiots. Maybe they just don't understand the problem, how we have absolute maximum speed limits across entire states, regardless of the road's design and conditions, which are frequently ignored by the majority of motorists. Maybe they think it's a political issue we should deal with, ignoring the fact that we've given fifty different states the authority to set their own speed limits with no accountability for setting them appropriately.

The only other possibility is that they just don't care. They believe that the number of radar detector users is small enough that our opinions are worth less than the cost of engineering systems that don't cause false alerts. Personally, I think that's the most likely explanation.

Good Citizen

I have a Audi S5 and if you turn off POP, then it will get rid of the false alerts. Hopefully this stays the same with the new 3.892 software which I'll know on Monday.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post

The only other possibility is that they just don't care. They believe that the number of radar detector users is small enough that our opinions are worth less than the cost of engineering systems that don't cause false alerts. Personally, I think that's the most likely explanation.
    I think this is the most likely reason, basically because why do you need a RD when your driving as fast as you want to. Aside from the Cities and construnction zones you can roll as fast as you want (OH how I miss driving over there BTW).

Over here State side, It's all about the money, and you can claim safety all you want to because when Americans think something is safer we will buy it esp concerning cars IMO. As soon as you throw up the safety aspect on almost anything Car / Truck people will buy it even though it may or may not be benefical to their needs IMO. That = more Euros

Good Citizen

I have a Audi S5 and it's the Lane Assist or Adaptive Cruise Control that is setting it off. I only have the Lane Assist and I turned off POP and the V1 is fine like this.

I just sent in my V1 for the 3.892 software so hopefully everything stays the same as it was or they figured out a way for it to not alert to those automobile features.