Newcomer

Default How hot is too hot?

Hey all,
    I'm a new(ish) V1 owner, had it for about 6 months and I love it.
    The only thing I've noticed is that it runs REALLY hot. But when I say hot, I mean HOT. As hot that I fear that if I leave it connected and attached to the windshield on a Memphis' summer day, for the time my car sits outside while I'm at work, it will easily catch on fire.

Just wondering if this is a common thing on all V1's or is just maybe mine?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: How hot is too hot?

Go to the V1 website and read the running temps. You will be surprised. I leave mine up 24-7 in SW Oklahoma. I read about people that put an air vent blowing on it, never figured out how to do that.

Newcomer

You can try as a daily habit to remove it when not in use then re-mount it for when you go home...eventually you will get used to it.

-or-

Have a tint shop install a glare strip on the top of the inside of your windshield for like $15-30...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by ikeupinya View Post
    You can try as a daily habit to remove it when not in use then re-mount it for when you go home...eventually you will get used to it.

-or-

Have a tint shop install a glare strip on the top of the inside of your windshield for like $15-30...

Lol..I have/do both! Even put up a shade on the windshield when the car it's parked. I'm just afraid that it could catch on fire if I leave it plugged in and unattended...
    But I see now it's common or "normal" operating temperature...?

Experienced

First, there is not too much inside the V1 that can catch fire. Second, the normal upper operating temp. for the V1 (and most other RDs) is up to 158 F - so hot you could burn your fingers touching the case after sitting in the sun all day. So don't worry...the V1 can take the heat much better than you can

I dismount mine everywhere i go not just because I'm worried about the heat temp. on the unit but because it's a hot item for an invitation to a thief.

Newcomer

I have had my window knocked out because I had a cheap, non working RD years ago. Fortunately they didn't take my pistol from under the seat. Had an aftermarket viper alarm system too! I've learned my lesson.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by V-1 3.872 View Post
    I dismount mine everywhere i go not just because I'm worried about the heat temp. on the unit but because it's a hot item for an invitation to a thief.
    This.

Radar detectors are commonly stolen, especially high end units.