Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Manufacturer

Default Re: Warning Laser Shield not so hot (Should I just Veil the Plate?)

We've got some new info to share with you.

Veil G4 is now compatible with Ontrack's Photo Blur plate.

It's a bit less noticeable than the LaserShield and also protects you from RLCs!!!

Check out STH.net for details and a promotion by one of our internet dealers and if you already have received Veil, I believe radarbusters may offer the Blur as a stand-alone product.

You might like this combo better than the LS/Veil.

Good luck and let me know what you guys think.

Veil Guy
    Last edited by Veil Guy; 08-14-2008 at 08:51 PM.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    ^ Er.....what you've reported....those are actually well-known shortcomings of the LaserShield.

Did you research this purchase at all? as I, along with many others, have posted extensively about the LaserShield in the past.......

----

In terms of dirt/debris accumulation between the LaserShield and your plate, I have not found that to be much worry. Yes, you will get water-ingress from precipitation and car-washes, and that can carry into the area a bit of dirt, but it won't be too, too bad at all.

In the nearly two years I've used the LaserShield, I have yet to feel the need to take it off to clean between it and the plate, and to be frank, although I'm nowhere near as anal about my car as I used to be, I'm still an auto enthusiast, who takes pride in the appearance of his vehicle.....

I do use a plate frame around the perimeter of the LaserShield/plate setup, but it is *not* a sealing one. It's just there to better integrate the two, that's all.

Also, remember, even though you've addressed, physically, the plate itself, don't forget the plate frame and also your plate mounting hardware. If they're metallic in nature or otherwise have a LIDAR-unfavorable profile, you'll need to address them, too.

Your "point defense" is only as strong as its weakest point.

----

Regarding VEIL'ing the plate, yes, this has been done before - many times. Again, if you'll take the time to search through these Forums, primarily the VEIL-specific sub-Forum, you'll find a lot of good useful information.

So far, I am not aware of anyone who has tried VEIL G4 on their plate(s), and as such, I do not know if there are any safety precautions required.

In terms of just using VEIL to address the "retro-reflective" portions of the plate, again, I'd like to bring up the reminder that your "point defense" is only as strong as its weakest point - and although the lettering is typically non-"retro-reflective," it's still typically highly "glossy" in finish, and will still offer an area of good LIDAR return.

There are still other alternatives - such as "scruffing up" the plate as well as using 3M Clear Duct Tape. You should, again, utilize the search function to look up past posts regarding these methods of dressing the plate.

No method of protecting the plate is perfect. It always will require some level of aesthetic/visual compromise.
    I did ask about recommendations of Laser Shield in MA a few days ago. No pros or cons mentioned of lasershield other than the retired cop that thought this would be the least likely to get pulled over with.

I admit I didn't research LaserShield as much as I should have. It was a last minute thought when I ordered Veil. There is only so many hours in a day For $20.00 I thought I'd order one and check it out.

Even though you not using a sealing trim. I believe a trim around laser shield would be a huge help. Which I can't use easily. My mounting bracket is dull black plastic so that should be ok. Maybe a trim that that does not wrap around the edge of the plate will work but I think those are usually metal.

I will try mounting the laser shield but it's not looking good.

I appreciate all the comments though.

I too appreciate comments on using G4 Veil direct on plate.

Yoda of Radar

Has anybody tried using something like 3M clear duct tape (or any high-durability tape, for that matter, if it's under a plate frame) to seal the edges of the LaserShield to the license plate?

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post
    Has anybody tried using something like 3M clear duct tape (or any high-durability tape, for that matter, if it's under a plate frame) to seal the edges of the LaserShield to the license plate?
    Hmmm, I like your thinking.

I wonder how a bead of clear silicon around the perimiter of the plate would work.

Yoda of Radar

X2 even if you have to replace it once a month... it would take all of 5 minutes.

Lead Foot

Thanks for the heads up on the potential effect of G4 on the plate. I was going to experiment first anyway as I have a spare set of replaced plates. I am still gonna try as the paint on MA plates may be very different.

I am disappointed that it looks so dark the letters/numbers can barely be read. If it is supposed to be less visible on headlights, that seems strange.

I was hoping to replace my laser shield with just G4.

I had ordered a crap plate but while beautiful and well made, it is not possible to use it as even a remotely passable undetectable substitute for the state issued plate.

Anyway what I did with my laser shield was to use double sided scotch tape on the letters and numbers to hold the shield closer to the plate

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Tambourine-Man View Post
    I am disappointed that it looks so dark the letters/numbers can barely be read. If it is supposed to be less visible on headlights, that seems strange.
    It's not supposed to be less visible, it's supposed to be less diffusing.

I had ordered a crap plate but while beautiful and well made, it is not possible to use it as even a remotely passable undetectable substitute for the state issued plate.
    You mean a cr8apl8?

Lead Foot

Here is a comparison of my original MA plate to the fiberglass replica. I also later got a metal replica, which as I say is very high quality and if you just wanted a vanity plate and didn''t need it to be an exact match of the state issued one, would be very nice, but the fonts and the graphics just don't match and the letters and numbers are not raised so it just will not work to replace legally required plate as it would be obvious it is not an original plate and not using the original plate is illegal in MA.

So I am left with the option to Veil the plate or use a laser shield. Since this plate is no longer used I can experiment with the Veil.

Last edited by Tambourine-Man; 08-15-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Old Timer

Here is a comparison of my original MA plate to the fiberglass replica.

So I am left with the option to Veil the plate or use a laser shield. Since this plate is no longer used I can experiment with the Veil.

Yuck!

That's not good, at all. Indeed, nowhere even close.

Looks like I really got lucky on the Ohio standard tricolor, and erickonphoenix also got lucky on his Texas one, too.

----

Tambourine, don't forget about the possibility of 3M Clear Duct Tape.

Give it a try, see if it is acceptable for you, cosmetically.

And yes, it's been proven to cut LIDAR return, via doppler tone differences. I'm not sure if this thread has that logged as a reference, but it does show the early work, comparing light-photography "flash," as well as "night-shot" (IR) return:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...ot-images.html

----

^ Whoa! How come I never thought of that! Smart!

Quote Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
    I wonder how a bead of clear silicon around the perimiter of the plate would work.
    ^ Unknown, adhesion/durability might be an issue - but given how easy it would be to do, it's definitely worth a try, IMveryHO. Good thinking.

----

Quote Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
    I did ask about recommendations of Laser Shield in MA a few days ago. No pros or cons mentioned of lasershield other than the retired cop that thought this would be the least likely to get pulled over with.

I admit I didn't research LaserShield as much as I should have. It was a last minute thought when I ordered Veil. There is only so many hours in a day For $20.00 I thought I'd order one and check it out.
    Can't be perfect all the time - and indeed, as with you, I'll confess to the same, that if it had been me in your shoes, given the minimal cost of the LaserShield, I also would not have looked into it too, too deeply (as I tend to otherwise exhaustively research my purchases....hey, after all, I *am* a research scientist!). We're only human!

Indeed, after reviewing what I'd said in those threads, I realized where your preconceived notion of what the LaserShield was going to look like - and what the shortcomings of my descriptions of what the LaserShield is - did not completely mesh together.

You'd expected it to be one of those hard-plastic "bubble" plate-covers. And despite my best intentions, what I never said is that the LaserShield is not that kind of a plate overlay.

I should have said that it was more akin to a thick, textured, sheet of acetate film.

Also, despite my having said that water/precip. can enter the area between the plate and the LaserShield, thus rendering it more easily visible, I neglected to say anything about dirt/debris/particulate-matter accumulation in the same area (possibly because I've honestly never seen any such concern, in the time I've used the LaserShield).

Both of these faults are now noted, and rest assure I will pass them along, in my future advice postings. Thank you, and my apologies for my shortcomings - they were not immediately clear to me.

Even though you not using a sealing trim. I believe a trim around laser shield would be a huge help. Which I can't use easily. My mounting bracket is dull black plastic so that should be ok. Maybe a trim that that does not wrap around the edge of the plate will work but I think those are usually metal.
    See what your local automotive stores have to offer. That's your best bet.

As for me, you'd be surprised how ugly things are, up-close.....

You think that the non-sealing frame would help keep out some of the dirt/grime? I honestly don't know....there's quite a gap between the "plate" surfaces.

How it's keeping itself clean? I honestly don't know!

-----

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy View Post
    We've got some new info to share with you.

Veil G4 is now compatible with Ontrack's Photo Blur plate.

It's a bit less noticeable than the LaserShield and also protects you from RLCs!!!

Check out STH.net for details and a promotion by one of our internet dealers and if you already have received Veil, I believe radarbusters may offer the Blur as a stand-alone product.

You might like this combo better than the LS/Veil.

Good luck and let me know what you guys think.

Veil Guy
    ^ Wish I could use one of those, as they will defeat the cams in my area (and everyone here knows how I feel about such cameras).....

But alas, enforcers are wise to them, and they're a sure-fire fix-it ticket, or worse, for me, here.
    Last edited by TSi+WRX; 08-15-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Thumbs down Re: Warning Laser Shield not so hot (Should I just Veil the Plate?)

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    Yuck!

That's not good, at all. Indeed, nowhere even close.

Looks like I really got lucky on the Ohio standard tricolor, and erickonphoenix also got lucky on his Texas one, too.
    Dude, that sucks hard! I would have sent that back in a heartbeat!

Erik, do you have a pic of your Texas crap plate? I'm thinking about one, but now, after seeing this one, I'm sceptical!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob