Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Pro-78 / XTR-690: How's the falsing?

It seems like there's been quite a few of us here who've been driving with the new detectors for a considerable amount of time. How's the falsing? How much quieter is it than the pro-73's platform?

Good Citizen

i wouldn't refer to myself as knowledgeable in RD's at all since i've only been using one for 2 days.

but as i drive around my area (Avenue U, Brooklyn, NYC, NY) i notice that i pick up a lot of X bands (sometimes up to level6) and some K-Ka bands (sometimes up to level3-4) but i rarely see any cop cars in the vicinity. sure, i could've just missed them sometimes, but would it also be possible that my pro-78 pick up Neon lights hung up on store windows??? if so, i pick them up a lot around my town

also, what does it mean when my pro-78 detects a laser? does it 100% mean a cop shot me with his laser gun? bc i was going under 10mph or possibly even stopped when i detected it... and it wasn't on a highway either. the speed limit for that road was 30mph

Founder of Stealthvation

The Pro 78 and XTR 690 false very little. In fact when it alerts you better be looking for the LEO. If you have it on filter 2 it is a quiet yet deadly detector
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Stealthcb

Default Re: Pro-78 / XTR-690: How's the falsing?

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    It seems like there's been quite a few of us here who've been driving with the new detectors for a considerable amount of time. How's the falsing? How much quieter is it than the pro-73's platform?
    My Pro-78 is a VERY quiet detector. I've gotten maybe 5-6 falses off other RDs in the time I've had it (about three months). Compared to the 73, it falses maybe 10% of the time the 73 does.

Experienced

I would say that the PRO-78 falses less, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it falses 90% less than the PRO-73. I still get 1-2 falses a day from other RD's (probably Cobras). However, it seems that some of the weak K-band automatic doors that I usually drive past on my way to work no longer alert (or alert with roughly half of the signal of the 73). Don't get me wrong, it's still very quiet [only makes a couple beeps a day (and a LOT of beeps for LEO encounters)]. With the software update, I'm confident that the PRO78 will have the best false filtering in the industry.

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by pronacyk
    However, it seems that some of the weak K-band automatic doors that I usually drive past on my way to work no longer alert (or alert with roughly half of the signal of the 73). Don't get me wrong, it's still very quiet [only makes a couple beeps a day (and a LOT of beeps for LEO encounters)]. With the software update, I'm confident that the PRO78 will have the best false filtering in the industry.
    Are you driving in City2 mode? If so, what I think may be happening is that your old 73 was picking up x-band openers and reporting them as K-band. Now, in City 2, you're getting only the real k-band, since Michael B and his crew reworked the discrimination programming.

When I run in HIGHWAY, I get a lot of my old k-band openers reported as X.

And you're getting WAY more RD falses than I am. I run Filter 1 or 2 and get almost none.

Experienced

Both the 78 and the 73 alert on K-band as I drive past my local Rite-Aid. The 73 alerts up to 4 while the 78 alerts up to 2. I usually use both in Highway mode with the 78 on Filter 2. The 78 definitely seems to be more sensitive on K-band to police radar as I just recently got 2 ~1.5mi saves in one day, while the best my 73 has seen is around 1mi.

Newcomer

I seem to get random false alerts on my Pro-78 even when I'm not close to Eckerds (I'd say around 1-2 per trip) X, K, and Ka ones; some blip and don't get announced and on those I don't have any time to display what type of alert, others get announced and get 2-3 bars then just go dead silent. I run Filter 2, City, POP off so at least the alerts don't keep going off because of City mode, and if they increase, I get another beep, which is nice.

Needless to say, the fact that it does detect well in advance of any detector I've ever owned, makes it worth every penny. Not to mention the great support from Michael B. I can live with a few false alerts as long as it works when it needs to

Stealthcb

Quote Originally Posted by bubba
    I seem to get random false alerts on my Pro-78 even when I'm not close to Eckerds (I'd say around 1-2 per trip) X, K, and Ka ones; some blip and don't get announced and on those I don't have any time to display what type of alert, others get announced and get 2-3 bars then just go dead silent. I run Filter 2, City, POP off so at least the alerts don't keep going off because of City mode, and if they increase, I get another beep, which is nice.

Needless to say, the fact that it does detect well in advance of any detector I've ever owned, makes it worth every penny. Not to mention the great support from Michael B. I can live with a few false alerts as long as it works when it needs to
    We may be defining falses differently. I don't consider a door opener a false alert. It IS a radar source and is operating on the same frequency as the police radars.

What I did notice in one strip mall is this:

There are, in this order, a Fabric Store, a furniture store, OfficeMax, Target. That's the order in which I passed them.

My Pro-73 gave me K-band the WHOLE WAY. From the minute I entered.

My Pro-78 gives me X-band when I'm beside the fabric store and the furniture store, then it switches to K-band for the furniture place and target. Kind of neat to see the discrimination

So when I throw out door opener alerts, which I don't consider falses, I end up getting MAYBE 2 falses a day. And those are just signals I can't ID -- for all I know, they could be LEOs operating back in a neighborhood or airport radars. I do know that security motion sensors set of the alerts, too.

About 3-4 weekly other-RD alerts. Easy to ID on the 78 -- One beep, then filtered out.

Oh, and there is one daily false alert that I get on Peterson AFB (where I am supposed to turn off my RD...). It's between the HQ buildings and the perimeter fence. It's a sporadic Ka that ranges from 3 bars to a full strength PULSE alert. I THINK it is either satellite communications signals or possible sensors under the vehicle gates that keep them from closing on cars.

Power User

Yeah, my definition of falsing sides with Stealthcb's -- I don't consider picking up door openers as falsing -- it is a legit radar emitter.

I was referring to inexplicable reasons for alerts -- the Pro-73/1793SE like to do a LOT of the one-blip-then-gone alerts. That would be the only negative thing I have to say about the 1793SE/pro-73 -- its range is surely incomparable with the Pro-78, but it's still more than enough for police encounters.