Newcomer

Default Found the Whistler 1743 on clearance at...

EDITED by Happya$$ I know I've had mixed reviews/feelings on a 1744 I bought and returned because of excessive falsing in my area, but I'm sorta torn with the really low price of this unit. I really like the *understandable* voice alerts too.

Any thoughts?

- Al

Professional

I would stay away from the low end models from Whistler.
    You are going to deal with lots of falses and very short detection range.

Save you money for something better such as the Whistler PRO 58

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman

:shock: So does that mean I should return the 1793 SE? :shock:
    Whistlers are all POS??? :shock:

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by LS2

Modern Whistlers are not P's O.S., but you can do better. The 1793 is a solid detector, but the Pro-58 and Pro-73 are better.

I'd like to recommend that you return the 1793 and put the $125 towards a Pro-73 from Roy (I believe he sells them for $150, but PM him before making any purchases), but I'll let someone who has more experience with Whistlers chime in and tell me if I'm correct or way off before I do so.

If I were going to equip my car only with a Whistler, it would without a doubt be a Pro-58 or Pro-73 (basically the same detector--Pro-73 has a much nicer display and costs more because of it).

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby

Modern Whistlers are not P's O.S., but you can do better. The 1793 is a solid detector, but the Pro-58 and Pro-73 are better.

I'd like to recommend that you return the 1793 and put the $125 towards a Pro-73 from Roy (I believe he sells them for $150, but PM him before making any purchases), but I'll let someone who has more experience with Whistlers chime in and tell me if I'm correct or way off before I do so.

If I were going to equip my car only with a Whistler, it would without a doubt be a Pro-58 or Pro-73 (basically the same detector--Pro-73 has a much nicer display and costs more because of it).
    Well before this I was in decision to get a V-1 now change again? or should it be the Passport? :shock:

Speed Demon

I have the 1744 and do not recommend it for driving when it's a 55 or higher limit. It's fine for local driving though. When on the highway, 90% of the time it beeps and a second later you see the cop waiting to ambush you, so I don't trust that. 10% of the time, if you're on a straight away and instant on is being used, you'll usually get sufficient warning. Oh and laser sucks on it.

Lead Foot

Default The Whistler detectors don't seem to be doing good

I keep hearing too many falses and on the 1793 SE I keep hearing the K/KA band go off ...Time for a refund???? :?: :x :shock:

Professional

Default Re: The Whistler detectors don't seem to be doing good

I keep hearing too many falses and on the 1793 SE I keep hearing the K/KA band go off ...Time for a refund???? :?: :x :shock:
    Dude, you need to calm down. Take a deep breath. Everything's going to be ok.

The 1793 falses. All Whistlers do. They're still good detectors for what you pay for them, but if you're willing to throw down the jack on a V1, X50, RX65, or even V995, then do it. The cardinal rule with detectors is to get the best you can afford, and if the best you can afford is a Whistler 173X series or a Crapra, you need to keep saving.

The 1793 is a good detector. You can do a lot better, but you can do a lot worse, too. You really need to quit stressing over this. Don't have a heart attack on us, ok?

Lead Foot

Default Re: The Whistler detectors don't seem to be doing good

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Dude, you need to calm down. Take a deep breath. Everything's going to be ok.

The 1793 falses. All Whistlers do. They're still good detectors for what you pay for them, but if you're willing to throw down the jack on a V1, X50, RX65, or even V995, then do it. The cardinal rule with detectors is to get the best you can afford, and if the best you can afford is a Whistler 173X series or a Crapra, you need to keep saving.

The 1793 is a good detector. You can do a lot better, but you can do a lot worse, too. You really need to quit stressing over this. Don't have a heart attack on us, ok?
    Decisions decisions