Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Whistler 925 vs Stalker DSR

I've got an old Whistler 925 Super Ka and Laser detector.

A cop alleged he clocked me by Stalker DSR while writing 3 other tickets to 3 other drivers, shooting through a road sign and around a near curve blocked by trees. Cop refused to show me a locked speed.

My detector never went off. I suspect he didn't actually have his radar on, that he just made up a speed of 60, then walked out into the highway to stop me. Would you walk out in front of a speeding car at 60 mph? I was well below 60, and a curve would have reduced that radar reading by cosine error.

My Whistler 925 does detect other cops in that same jurisdiction.

A cop in that same jurisdiction was previously ordered arrested by a judge for perjury, claiming under oath he shot radar, but another cop testified he never turned the radar on. The lawyer who won that case told me that story. Don't know if its the same cop.

Question: Does Stalker DSR use a Ka freq not covered by Whistler 925?

Question: Does instant-on "fast/lock" work too fast for a detector to beep at all?

Question: How often do cops illegally tune their radar to operate outside standard freqs, to defeat radar detectors? Are there any news reports on that?

I'll be fighting the ticket on several issues, such as no traffic engineering survey to post 30 mph on a remote rural highway previously 55, but if I can catch the cop for perjury and get him arrested, that's a bonus.

In this particular jurisdiction, ticket enforcement has increased 11,400 percent, which is another issue for appeal.
    Last edited by piratenews; 09-03-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Radar Fanatic
    In a town full of undercover leos blasting c/o Ka

Default Re: Whistler 925 vs Stalker DSR

From Whistler's website:
    All BandTM Protection – detects all radar(911/925 detects select Ka band frequencies), laser and safety radar systems including the Safety Warning SystemTM.

Banned

Also from their website:

33.400 - 36.000 GHz (Superwideband Ka)
    Models 911/925 received only the following Ka Frequencies (Super Ka):
    33.340 - 33.880 GHz (Ka)
    34.110 - 34.560 GHz (Ka)
    34.770 - 35.220 GHz (Ka)
    35.450 - 35.900 GHz (Ka)

Radar Fanatic

In conclusion it may have a nice blind spot in the 34.7 area

Stalker lists its frequency at 33.4 GHz - 36.0 GHz (Ka-Band).
    Stability: +/- 100 MHz (Ka-Band)
    Accuracy: +1 / -2 MPH Stationary, +/- 2 MPH Moving
    25 MPH Tuning Fork, Ka Band
    40 MPH Tuning Fork, Ka Band
    Stalker DSR spec sheet

So can a cop's repair/install/certify shop tune the Stalker anywhere in that range, or slightly above or below Ka band?

This site in Australia reports that Stalker uses the 34.7 GHz 'blind spot', with other brands transmitting on 34.9 and 35.1 (also a blind spot on the 925). 925 does cover 34.77.

2002 cop article:
    MPH Bee III transmits at 33.8 GHz,
    Kustom Signal's Golden Eagle, at 35.5 GHz,
    Stalker DSR at 34.7 GHz,
    Decatur Genesis II at 35.5 GHz,
    Lockheed Martin's photo system at 34.6 GHz.
    Says POP mode cannot be locked, probably same for instant-on Stalker. Seems likely to be very inaccurate due to operational errors.

Do newer detectors have blind spots in Ka too?

Some only scan the "correct" parts of Ka, to shorten the scan time, which might miss a radar xmitting off-freq.

Top detectors were not giving any warning with instant-on Stalker in 2003.

So in theory my 925 at 34.77 will detect Stalker at 34.7+100MHz but not at 34.7-100MHz. That's only 50/50 percent; perhaps zero percent with instant on using the remote control.

However I know the accuracy of Stalker was zero in my case, so I still don't know for sure if the cop was lying about using radar. Cop refused to let me walk to his car, since he was busy writing other tickets and I had to stand in line (which conveniently kept me from seeing the radar operation mode). Stalker instant-on does not display a lock signal. Odd the cop alleged my speed was exactly 60, not 61 or 59. When I asked him what kind of radar he used, he asked me if I'm a cop, as if I busted him faking it. I've never had a cop ask me that before.
    Last edited by piratenews; 09-03-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Very interesting case you got on your hands, I think it may be in your best interest to lawyer up. I'm assuming you're taking this to court. As far as your detector goes its pretty darn old. At its age its possible that it may have drifted even further out of tune resulting to complete blindess to anything in the 34.7xx range.

My main defense will probably be to invalidate the speed limit, using an appellate court opinion requiring traffic engineering surveys in this state. The radar defense is rarely a winner, but it's a good way to confuse a prosecutor and make a cop cry on the witness stand, then knock their heads off using rules of procedure and rules of evidence.

But radar does have to meet certain essential elements to be considered accurate in court, and instant-on radar might not have met those standards in any appellate case.

I may hire a lawyer for $100 in an advisory capacity, since they get the best dirt. Shifty ba$tards and biatches!

But yeah, time for a new detector. Money is tight tho. Which is why the cops are out stealin. I didn't know until after the ticket that the cop's own website lists an 11,000 percent increase in tickets on the road I was on. Time to find a new road, or whup em in court. These cops also leaked a memo from their commander, requiring an illegal quota of 700 tickets per year, to get overtime.

Some cops get paid $200,000/year in "overtime".
    Last edited by piratenews; 09-03-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Radar Fanatic

You should really post this in the "How to beat your ticket" section. You may get a much better response there.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Edwv30 View Post
    Also from their website:

33.400 - 36.000 GHz (Superwideband Ka)
    Models 911/925 received only the following Ka Frequencies (Super Ka):
    33.340 - 33.880 GHz (Ka)
    34.110 - 34.560 GHz (Ka)
    34.770 - 35.220 GHz (Ka)
    35.450 - 35.900 GHz (Ka)
    As Edvw was good enough to find this it clearly illustrates the blind spot. It appears the 925 will not respond to any frequency between 34.560 and 34.770. I'm not sure about others on this fine site, but I frequently run across stalkers in the 34.660 and up range.

Power User

If you got owned by Quick trigger Instant on. There is a good chance that certain Whistler missed the I/O shot. The High End Whistlers alert to I/O very well. I woud seriously upgrade to a Whistler SE model or the new 3600 remote coming out in a few months or less. I do see a blind spot also that could have been a issue.