PDA

View Full Version : PA Trooper Tactics Over the Holiday

pgb2
09-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Yesterday and Friday I saw PSP using a novel tactic on two different highways. Friday I was heading north on I-81 about 5 miles south of the Susquehanna River (just after the 581 east split) and saw a marked CV "hiding" in some shrubs off the right berm. I instinctively slowed to the PSL even though my V1 was silent. As I passed I saw him holding a Kustom HR12/Falcon out the driver window like he was using it but I never got a warning.

Sunday I was heading north on US15 about 5 miles north of the MD line and saw another marked CV in the median near a Gettysburg exit working the southbound lane (he was obscured from them by an underpass "mound") and once again he was aiming a Decatur Genesis out his window at southbound traffic but I never got a warning from the V1.

During either trip my V1 did false at the usual spots so I believe it's working OK. I guess "Operation Impotent Intimidation" was the name of their Labor Day activities! :P

carter840
09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
instant-on

pgb2
09-04-2006, 06:22 PM
instant-on

Well, yeah PSP uses instant on. The point was that I didn't get a peep from my V1 before or after I saw either of them. Either road was far from empty and I *should* have gotten a K band warning at some point especially since both troopers were actually pointing their handhelds out the window. I've NEVER known the PSP to be so selective that I wouldn't get something on my RD.

richardboy316
09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
well u say the road was far from empty..mean it could be hard to target one individual with a handheld gun so in that case it was probably true of the intimidation factor

KaPro
09-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey pgb2,
I'm noticing the same thing up north here. It would seem as though the troopers have been going to the school of "selectivity". They are not pulling the trigger as readily as they used to.

pgb2
09-08-2006, 07:37 AM
...the troopers have been going to the school of "selectivity"

Grrrrr, I was afraid of that. Funny how we get spoiled over the years. Oh well, at least Ka hasn't gotten down here yet.

KaPro
09-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I have not seen Ka up here yet. I ran into one Ka speed sign on the Trnpk. near the airport. Showed up as 34.6 on the X50????

pgb2
09-09-2006, 07:25 PM
I have not seen Ka up here yet.
I'm sure it's only a matter of time for both of us. You'd think they'd have to replace all those '80's era Kustom (HR-12/Falcon, KR-10) RADARs eventually. The ROI on those purchases has to be off the scale!! :twisted:

KaPro
09-12-2006, 02:26 AM
I sure hope they don't go the "infrared" route. I also understand that IF you do get stopped for speeding, your toast. No discussions, just a ticket. I don't care to find out.

GET 1T DONE
09-12-2006, 06:57 AM
I'm sure it's only a matter of time for both of us. You'd think they'd have to replace all those '80's era Kustom (HR-12/Falcon, KR-10) RADARs eventually. The ROI on those purchases has to be off the scale!! :twisted:
About 2/3 of their radar guns are Decatur Genesis.

pgb2
09-12-2006, 08:29 AM
About 2/3 of their radar guns are Decatur Genesis.
Yah, I'd agree with that estimate but what you're likely to encounter depends on where you are. For instance, PA Turnpike (I-76) cruisers seem to have a disproportionate number of Kustom KR-10/Troopers. One day about 6 months ago I was sitting at an intersection on US Route 11 near a Turnpike exit when three PSP Turnpike units went past (going to "lunch" no doubt) in the opposite lane and EACH one had the KR-10 control box on the dash and the antenna mounted out the driver's side rear window. From this board, it seems that what Ka units are out there will be found near Philly or Pittsburgh.

I sure hope they don't go the "infrared" route.
Then it becomes "jammer time!!" 8)

No discussions, just a ticket.
This is always my assumption when I get pulled over, which is not that often (knock on wood.) My goal is not to do anything that will annoy the officer or make me noteworthy in his mind. Then I plead not guilty and either contact the officer before the DJ hearing or discuss it with him at court prior to the hearing. About 95% of the time I can get him to reduce the charge to a no points, no insurance surcharge violation. One thing, if you frequent an area which is part of the "Smooth Operator" program and get pulled, I suspect there won't be any negotiation.