PDA

View Full Version : Few LI newbie question???

newkid
04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Hello Everyone,

I finally decided to get laser jammers. I was looking at LI dual for my car. I drive a 95 toyota corolla (see image - same color).

1. I'm thinking about buying a new corolla or camry - not for a year or so... If i do install LI on my old corolla can i easily transfer them to my new car? or should i wait till i get the new car?

2. If i put the LI heads at red line - indicated in the pic. (next to the head lights) do i need put viel on the head lights?

3. I'm guessing everything has it flaws/weakness. For example for RD - I/O to defeat it. What are weakness for LI or LEOs tactics to defeat LI?

4. I live in Michigan so i'm afraid about snow and salt straching the LI lenes? What are some other ways to get around this problem? Instead of having to buy new lens every year?

5. I'm not a expert at car electronics so do you guys think i should leave this installation to pros or if there is someone around canton, mi area willing to help me with the install?

Thank's

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi Newkid,

Obviously, the initial install will take far longer then the uninstall, leveling of the sensors, drilling the mounting holes, etc etc but it is good practice! :)

Usually passive Countermeasures such as Veil are not required with an LI but that is your choce. There are schools of though both ways on this and I do not want to take away from another Countermeasures Manufacturers' product's capabilities. As to your mounting position, ideally, you want your LI Sensors to be mounted as close vertically and horizontally as possible to your headlights. With that said, there is some latitude with this rule.

As to LI weaknesses, as the Distributor, it would be inappropriate for me to comment in this regard but in short order, Members of this Community will chime in so you will receive many thoughts and opinions for you to evaluate.

The LI Lenses are made of a very durable material and scratches as well as pitting are to be expected as a result of their mounting environments but such artifacts do not interfere with the LI's functionality. The lenses should of course be kept clean and free of debris such as snow, dirt and grime however as these will affect it's and any LCM performance.

As to an install, I'm sure there are many in your area that will be willing to assist you. If not, any Automobile Stereo Installation Center at all familiar with Remote RADAR Detector and LCM installations can install the LI for you.

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

Cherokee Driver
04-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I would put the heads in the lower and larger grill but spread them out to protect the headlights to give better over protection.

Z1NONLY
04-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I would put the heads in the lower and larger grill but spread them out to protect the headlights to give better over protection.

+1

All those times members complain that they were hit with laser and their windshield-mount radar detector never went off...

It's because LEO's aim low. (to avoid the windshield and radar detectors that might be there.)

Not that the LI's wouldn't detect and jam a low center-mass shot, but I think the lower bumper would put them in the "target area" better.

newkid
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Thank's for a detailed answer cliff. I know u have to vague about LI weaknesses and anyone can shed some light on it.

I should install LI dual at the red region than the yellow region (see image)

Thank's

newkid
04-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Newkid,

As to LI weaknesses, as the Distributor, it would be inappropriate for me to comment in this regard but in short order, Members of this Community will chime in so you will receive many thoughts and opinions for you to evaluate.

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

Thank's for a detailed answer cliff. Can some shed some light on this question.

Thank's

Cherokee Driver
04-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi Newkid,

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

Thank's for a detailed answer cliff. Can some shed some light on this question.

Thank's

Edit...

I didnt look at the revised or second photo with the head placement moved to the lower grill where I recommended. That would be the best location. Sorry.

Z1NONLY
04-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Go ahead and place the LI's in the less desirable location in red and you just might have undesirable results.

"less desirable location"? So putting the heads where the LEO's are most likley to target the car is "less desirable"? (although the red spots look a little too far out toward the edges)

The truth is the OP has a small car that the the LI's should protect with no problem. (either location)

Cherokee Driver
04-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Edit once again......

Sorry Im tired....I agree with you Z1NONLY, I didnt see he added a new pic with the recommended head placement I posted earlier. I have to get ready to go over too my buddies and get those jammers installed before the road trip.

speed-dreams
04-11-2009, 07:22 AM
I am sure even with any jammer, it'd be enough to save you form a ticket...

newkid
04-11-2009, 01:47 PM
I know my car is small... But what would be most optimal position of LI heads? (please see the second pic.) Also, looking for someone in MI who could help me out - Give me some pointers. :D

speed-dreams
04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
There's only one way to determine the "optimal" position besides common visual estimate of coverage, that is testing :)

newkid
04-11-2009, 02:39 PM
That would optimal but not fesable :D

speed-dreams
04-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm sure you can find a member from here that can help you test your setup :)

newkid
04-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm sure you can find a member from here that can help you test your setup :)

I hope so.......:D:D:D

newkid
04-12-2009, 02:38 PM
What's the performance difference between these two LI's

Laser Interceptor DUAL vs. Laser Interceptor HP DUAL

Is it worth the extra money???

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
A properly installed Standard Laser Interceptor DUAL will provide more than adequate protection for your Corolla and your new Camry! :)

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

newkid
04-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Thank's cliff. Can you look the second pic in this post and tell me where is the optimal position for LI to JTG :)

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-12-2009, 03:18 PM
This is an easy one. :)

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9066/95corollafront.jpg

Cliff - LI-USA

Eloi
04-12-2009, 07:29 PM
'' It's because LEO's aim low. (to avoid the windshield and radar detectors that might be there.) ''

It is one of the most clever observation in years .

Leos had learned to sophisticate their attack .....low down :eek: very Low :rolleyes:

Another point cited by Cliff is of great value : the great resistance
of the lens and the non-necessity to change lens at the slightest
scratch. This point was discussed years ago during the kingdom
of blinder. It was heavily suggested to change lens like pampers:D

newkid
04-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Then I guess putting the laser jammers at the lower bumper is a better idea???

speed-dreams
04-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Then I guess putting the laser jammers at the lower bumper is a better idea???
IMO, where Cliff said is optimal... you don;t want to put it that low either... plus you car has a small front end...

languy99
04-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Put them low, I have the same car and I have done testing, with my blinders in the center upper grill I was getting mid 300 punch throughs and with them in the lower area I dropped to sub 100. Both of these tests were done with a stalker, so you guys know this is a hard gun to jam.

edit:

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4603/p1010303kv4.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010303kv4.jpg)

Cherokee Driver
04-12-2009, 10:50 PM
I think this is the best location for your car with the yellow locations. I believe this location in yellow are better then the green locations is because the green location of the heads are recessed and off angle shots could be deadly if a cop can only see your headlights due to traffic infront blocking most of your frontal area. Remember not matter what jammer you use, if your jammer cant detect it....it cant jam it...that also includes the all powerful LI.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=684&d=1239597239

What a cop could target....

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=685&stc=1&d=1239597729

Here is another one....The yellow boxes show headlight lidar shots, improper placed head locations will not protect those lidar shots because the heads will not detect the lidar in time...Its amazing what you learn from this site.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=686&stc=1&d=1239598120

speed-dreams
04-12-2009, 10:56 PM
If you go with LI, no need for putting them low.

Cherokee Driver
04-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Im sorry but LI is not immune to PT's. There are plenty of tests by members here where PT's have happened on a car with LI's when tested.

speed-dreams
04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Im sorry but LI is not immune to PT's. There are plenty of tests by members here where PT's have happened on a car with LI's when tested.
Again each car is different... I know better I've tested a handful of cars with different jammers...
I'd say whatever jammer you get, go get your setup tested and adjust as needed.

Cherokee Driver
04-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Again each car is different... I know better I've tested a handful of cars with different jammers...
I'd say whatever jammer you get, go get your setup tested and adjust as needed.

I'm sorry..I was just going with the better odd's vs. the law of angles.

This would be a great test with different jammers and just testing the headlights with a moving car blocking everything except a single headlight and see does the best in the name of science.

Speed-Demon...I know and understand you have tested many many jammers but I still will stand my ground but I still respect you and your knowledge.

speed-dreams
04-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Speed-Demon...I know and understand you have tested many many jammers but I still will stand my ground but I still respect you and your knowledge.
I like you enthusiasm :)
Well, the thing is that the angle coverage for the LI is diferent from Blinder,ZR3 and other jammers, that's how I can almost assure that the LI can cover the whole front end, even if installed higher or lower...

Cherokee Driver
04-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Thank you very much, I find this stuff very interesting.

I have mentioned in the past concerning certain future installs is that there is that 99.% that a cop will shot the direct frontal area but there is that chance where that cop can and might only see a headlight and that just might be the 1%. The key words you used " almost assure" can include that 1% I am speaking about. Im not here to bash LI but it is LI that is part of the topic so its included in the discussion so its relevate to the question and answer. If LI is the best then no matter what car or whatever it on it should cover it if the proper amount of heads are used to equate the amount of area to protect. If that was the case every test known to man concerning the LI would have produced every test with jtg's but that is not the case so there is the ever so chance where the LI might not detect, protect and jam that car or any other auto in a certain situation that I have mentioned if the heads are not located for the optimal performance.

newkid
04-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Thank's for all the suggestions. This why i love this forum and decided to join :)

Anyone from Michigan willing to help me out with the setup or run tests for the best placement?

languy99
04-14-2009, 08:51 AM
well there are 4 of use that are from michigan that are religious on this board and can help depending on where you are located, there is jimbonzzz, proudNMAmemeber, alpinestars_2002795 and me.

ELVATO
04-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Both locations should provide sufficient protection. Personally, since you know you're going to take it off in the future, I would just go with the easiest installation.

newkid
04-14-2009, 09:18 AM
well there are 4 of use that are from michigan that are religious on this board and can help depending on where you are located, there is jimbonzzz, proudNMAmemeber, alpinestars_2002795 and me.

I live in Canton. I don't mind driving if any of u r willing to help me out :D

languy99
04-14-2009, 12:42 PM
contact jimbonzzz I think he lives around detroit.

newkid
04-14-2009, 09:13 PM

I will send him a pm. jimbonzzz.......................where r u :D:D:D

speed-dreams
04-14-2009, 09:38 PM

I will send him a pm. jimbonzzz.......................where r u :D:D:D
throw some money, you might increase your odds in finding him :D

TRDdave
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know the dimensions for the jammer heads? I have vertical slats in my tacoma's grill and I was thinking I might be able to fit them in between the slats, depending on the size of the jammer head.

speed-dreams
04-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Does anyone know the dimensions for the jammer heads? I have vertical slats in my tacoma's grill and I was thinking I might be able to fit them in between the slats, depending on the size of the jammer head.
Check the specs on the LI website...

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Normal Sensor Dimensions: 3-1/8"L x 1-1/4"W x 9/16"H
Rear Slim Sensor Dimensions: 3-1/8"L x 13/16"W x 9/16"H

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

TRDdave
04-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks Cliff,

Im going to do so measuring today!

newkid
04-16-2009, 09:02 AM
I sent jimbonzzz a pm. Just waiting for his reply. languy99 do u think he help out by doing some testing too :)

If he says yes going to order my LI ASAP.

Cliff do u think LI dual is excellent amount of protection for my situation. Should I also viel headlights - money is bit tight so i'm trying to avoid unnecessary stuff.

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-16-2009, 09:09 AM
A properly installed LI DUAL will provide more than adequate protection for either of the cars you wish to protect.

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

languy99
04-16-2009, 09:21 AM
He might, I'm not sure.

newkid
04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
He might, I'm not sure.

If you have some time can you help me out running few tests after i get the LI or with the install. I don't mind driving at all.

languy99
04-16-2009, 10:00 AM
I would but I don't have any lidar guns. I can help with the install. Seeing as you have a corolla, and I have a prism it will be exactly the same.

speed-dreams
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
you could rent lidar guns from surfdaddy

newkid
04-16-2009, 02:34 PM
I have to say that Cliff has been more than helpful in answering my questions and very prompt responses.

Thank's Cliff - That's what I call customer service. If I was ever come to Florida I have to meet you.

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I look forward to it.

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

Cherokee Driver
04-17-2009, 10:19 AM
He might, I'm not sure.

If you have some time can you help me out running few tests after i get the LI or with the install. I don't mind driving at all.

Excuse me guy, but other members here have taken time out and given you the same advice and alot of detail that Cliff has given or even more.

Maybe we should just have the jammer rep's on this board give advice only when installing or whats the best location where too put the jammer heads.

newkid
04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Excuse me guy, but other members here have taken time out and given you the same advice and alot of detail that Cliff has given or even more.

Maybe we should just have the jammer rep's on this board give advice only when installing or whats the best location where too put the jammer heads.
Trust me I'm thank ful for all the forum members too. That's why I love this forum. I have talked to few members by sending them a pm and also showed my apperciation for their input.

Cherokee Driver
04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
My point is that you and others just thank the Rep's. even though we the members I believe help out more....LOL I know I didnt get a pm nor was I expecting one.

newkid
04-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Thank's for all the suggestions. This why i love this forum and decided to join :)

Thank You everyone again. I'm sure I can come up with more questions for all the members :D

newkid
04-17-2009, 11:17 AM
The main question now is when I'm going get the LI Dual???
Ans: I want to see how the new blinder will perform. Personally, I have my money on LI :D

speed-dreams
04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Ans: I want to see how the new blinder will perform. Personally, I have my money on LI :D
I even believe a ZR3 can cover your car and JTG... your car has a very small front end...

newkid
04-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm guessing everything has it flaws/weakness. For example for RD - I/O to defeat it. What are weakness for LI or LEOs tactics to defeat LI?

speed-dreams
04-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm guessing everything has it flaws/weakness. For example for RD - I/O to defeat it. What are weakness for LI or LEOs tactics to defeat LI?
LEO uses common tactics like shooting CM and HLs. If your covered in those areas, you have a ticket saving performance setup. But if you want to JTG to everything and want to brag about your testing results, that's another topic...

Stealth Stalker
04-18-2009, 01:33 PM
What are weakness for LI or LEOs tactics to defeat LI?
Bad installs are the LI's only real weakness.

newkid
04-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Is it too much to ask for JTG performance :)

Stealth Stalker
04-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Not with your car, it isn't. LI for sure. Blinder with Veil and no front plate will be very close.

speed-dreams
04-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Is it too much to ask for JTG performance :)
you will only see JTG performance if you test your setup multiple times ;), otherwise you would never see it...

newkid
04-18-2009, 01:47 PM
To all the members who has LI's on their car, I was wondering if you guys give me some feedback on your experince with the LI and any future problems I will run in to...

I'm taking a plunge and buying the LI Dual and I want to be informed as much as possible with them.

I'm really thankful for all the input so far in to this topic. Next timeI can help out a newbie who's in my situation :)

Thanks

FYI: Michigan - Prolaser III, LTI 20/20, LTI Ultralyte, Stalker Lz1, Laser Atlanta

crazyVOLVOrob
04-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Speaking from experience.... Do NOT buy the first version of any product in this industry is they always have a problem with the first released version no matter the company!!!!!!

Don't be the guine pig!

The current LI has been proven the "new Blinder" has yet to be so don't get it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for future problems there hasn't been any that I have had with my newer heads. Just make sure you only turn on your LI after your vehicle is running so there will not be a voltage drop message leading you to believe that something is wrong

newkid
04-18-2009, 04:53 PM
As for future problems there hasn't been any that I have had with my newer heads. Just make sure you only turn on your LI after your vehicle is running so there will not be a voltage drop message leading you to believe that something is wrong

Thank's for the heads up :D

More comments are welocme :)

newkid
04-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey cliff, Can i uprade the LI from Dual to Quad later on.... Just have to get new heads.

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes, simply add the additional Sensors at anytime in the future. :)

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

newkid
04-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know what I'm waiting for then????? I should close the deal then............

category4
04-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Yep, pull the trigger, the LI has no weakness. best jammer on the market and best guy to deal with for tech support. Cliff takes great care of his customers.

newkid
04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Yep, pull the trigger, the LI has no weakness. best jammer on the market and best guy to deal with for tech support. Cliff takes great care of his customers.

I'm going to give it a week or so before i pull the trigger. Till then welcome any comments....

No complaints about customer service with cliff. Cliff do u ever sleep!!! He is so prompt about his anwers/suggestions anytime of the day:eek:

That's customer service:D

newkid
04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
I have languy99 help me out with my install of LI Dual. Really appreciate it. I'm really hoping to learn alot. So in future, if anybodys needs help with their LI install just send me a PM. I be more than happy to help you out. :)

Also, I have total three forum members (including myself) looking to test out their install. Anyone in from Michigan willing to help us out. Probably sometime in middle to late May. Please send me PM.

Thank you again for all the help guys

newkid
04-22-2009, 08:56 PM
What's the usual/average lifetime of the diodes?

speed-dreams
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Not enough data to tell...
Nobody from this forum has had burned diodes that I'm aware of...

Cherokee Driver
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I remember when LPP's were talked (many light years ago) about that there were some owners having their heads burning out in about 6 months.

poolmon
04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Do new LI's require initial setup or any adjustments using a computer (and serial port), or are they ready for complete operation right out of the box?

Practically speaking, what are the most common items one would attach their LI to a computer to adjust (or update)?

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-23-2009, 11:53 AM
No, the LI is plug and play. Updates when new LIDAR guns come to be deployed are only available by exchange though LI-USA.

The LI User's Software allows for you to make changes to the SIA, PA and Sensor assignments and duration and sensitivity of these parameters. Best to leave it as it! :)

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

speed-dreams
04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I remember when LPP's were talked (many light years ago) about that there were some owners having their heads burning out in about 6 months.
I believe that was when moisture or water got into the heads.

Cherokee Driver
04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I dont think that was the cause for them going bad after about 6 months...remember there was talk about the LPP's have a 6 month time bomb on the diodes? Same thing happened for some new LI's when they 1st came to the the US and alot were dying and even some lived in dry area's where it did not rain.

I dont think it caused by water or moisture in many of the cases...maybe over clocking the heads (known or unknownly done) to get the perduction runs in the market.

speed-dreams
04-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I dont think that was the cause for them going bad after about 6 months...
No, it was moisture problem, trust me... It had to do with the sealant in the heads... I can still look for the threads :)

Cherokee Driver
04-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Its sure that happened in some cases but the 6 month time bomb was talked about at the LPP forum site because several lpp's died on at or around the 6 month bought date.

Didnt Racer X have major problems with his LI and he lives in a very hot and dry area of AZ. I also think he said he did not take he LI's thru any cars washes so to proctect the heads of the LI and they died around the 6 month of his ownership...maybe you can find that huge and long thread also but I think that was deleted.

speed-dreams
04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
The LI User's Software allows for you to make changes to the SIA, PA and Sensor assignments and duration and sensitivity of these parameters. Best to leave it as it! :)
What's the difference between version CPU 7.06 and 7.07, 7.08, 7.09 (current)?

Laser-InterceptorUSA
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
If you have additional queries, please e-mail LI-USA

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK

crazyVOLVOrob
04-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Your thinking about AL.

LPP quality and customer service is much better than that

speed-dreams
04-23-2009, 06:03 PM
If you have additional queries, please e-mail LI-USA

Cliff - LI-USA/LI-UK
you got me :lol:
emailed

Cherokee Driver
04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Your thinking about AL.

LPP quality and customer service is much better than that

You are very correct...