Professional

Default Beltronics Laser/Radar Detector (Vector 990)

Beltronics Laser/Radar Detector (Vector 990)

A certain store sales this RD for $399.99. It looks like the older body style. Anyone know why this rd is more than rx-65, and yet is not mentioned in test???

Default Bel 990

I believe that is a older (not too old) detector, I think that was replaced by the Vector series.

Professional

maybe it's designed for the european market for photo radar and Ku band

Advanced Member

Yes, it was designed for the European market: it has Ku, Ka narrow, and the 9 Ghz X-Band stuff. It is no longer made, it was replaced by the BEL Target Euro 550.

Good Citizen

Fully agree with Jim

Lead Foot

After the Bel550 Target Euro was launched a few years ago, the Bel990International was discontinued by Beltronics, since the Bel550 is practically same thing except for some new menu options like pre-set configurations for 12 different countries. Also distribution was changed, the Bel990I was sold by Beltronics worldwide, and the Bel550, while still made Bel-Canada, is distributed exclusively by Target Automotive and only in Europe, just like the Bel330 o Bel996.

However, you can find around the net the Bel990I being sold as new and in stock for just over 200$?? (a Bel550 costs in Europe around 480$). Usually in internet stores that are not official Bel distribuitors.

Anybody can shed some light into this? Were do these new units come from? are they imitations? is Beltronics still making them behind the curtain?

Yoda of Radar

Probably just new old-stock units or they haven't updated the website :P

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos from Spain
    Were do these new units come from? are they imitations? is Beltronics still making them behind the curtain?
    The BEL550 is manufactured in Canada, patended. Target Automotive in Holland is programming & servicing the units but all of T.A.'s products are made by BEL Canada patended.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Probably just new old-stock units or they haven't updated the website :P
    That was my first though as well, maybe left over stock or even re-manufactured units, but this detector has been discontinued for years now, and these Bel990I are stil appearing with plenty of stock on these US internet stores, they have to be being produced somewhere... ?? I even called one of these stores and they had plenty of units, and said they were new. The Bel990 would be a good option for people who are going to Europe (for example in this therad: http://www.radardetector.net/A-BEL-for-euope-15748t.php), but unitl the origin of these units are not clear I would not recomend it, only if Bel actually makes them.

Quote Originally Posted by blueox
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos from Spain
    Were do these new units come from? are they imitations? is Beltronics still making them behind the curtain?
    The BEL550 is manufactured in Canada, patended. Target Automotive in Holland is programming & servicing the units but all of T.A.'s products are made by BEL Canada patended.
    Yes, the Bel550 like the Bel966 and Bel330 are still made in Bel-Canada though exclusively distributed only in Europe by Target by contract, but I'm talking about the Bel990I, which was distibuted by Beltonics and wordlwide, not Target and only in Europe.