Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Of 49
    Posts
    67

    Default STi Pays For Itself

    I'm a long time V1 user, but due to the increased use of Spectre in southern Ontario. I put my trusted V1 in the glovebox for several years now.

    I've been eyeing the STi ever since its release, but couldn't justify its purchase because of its high price and my luck of beating tickets.

    Things are about to change though; the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar finally and by the end of the month new laws are coming into effect that make doing 31 mph over the limit an instant 7 day license suspension and 7 day impoundment as well as a possibility of a $10,000 fine upon conviction.

    I picked up the STi this past weekend in Buffalo, first thing I realized is that I don't have any arrows. Regardless initial use was extremely easy. I mounted it high behind the tint strip and picked up a few door openers and the odd speed sign, but very quiet none the less.

    Regardless my first save came three days after recieving it. I was travelling down a rural road that with a PSL of 50 mph, I was travelling about 62 mph. I get a slight k band alert a mile and half away, the terrain is hilly but the alert increased ever so slightly as I approached the source, so I slowed down. I noticed a sign which says the PSL drops to 38 mph ahead. So I knew it had to be a LEO ahead, I slow down immediately and as soon I get to a crest of a hill: a dark blue undercover car with deep tinted windows and semi-reflective decals. He was parked parralel to the road way waiting for his prey. I smile as I as pass by.

    Heres the kicker: If I was pulled over the fine would have been in the $600 range. Plus the undercover cars carry the Spectre units here in Ontario so that would've been another $140 fine if I wasnt using a STi.

    I'm using a 3407 build date for those concerned about the Ka bug.

  2. #2

    Default

    First, nice story about a good save from a ticket!

    You are so lucky to have an STi with a manufacturing date which is past the latest manufacturing date which could have the 33.8 bug. One forum member recently bought an STi from an authorized Beltronics distributor, only to find that his has the 33.8 bug. At least Bel will re-flash his for free, including shipping since he just bought it.

    Everyone here knows that I am a huge Belscort fan, yet I am old school and I do love the V1's band LEDS and LED bar graph signal strength display. On the other hand I do love my STi for its performance and overall features. I do wonder though if Valentine is really serious about developing an undetectable version of the V1, since the one cool thing about using my STi, especially at night, is that no police officer has a clue that I am using a radar detector.

    You mention that you have retired your V1. There are several STi features which have grown on me such as its Automute and how quiet it is in town, especially when I use its City-NoX mode which also reduces its K band sensitivity. What are your thoughts about an undetectable Valentine RD versus your new STi? Just curious since you have used both now.

    --Michael

  3. #3
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Congrads on the detector, you will really enjoy it. Glad it saved you there. I was not aware that the new speeding law change has even had a first reading at Queens Park.

    Thought it was just another election promise to be broken by Dalton Mc****ey.

  4. #4
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rottweiler Land
    Posts
    10,420

    Default

    FMA do they use Instant on much up there?

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WNY (sometimes)
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davekr
    FMA do they use Instant on much up there?
    It depends on where you are. I/O usage may be less than many US jurisdictions, but its certainly not unheard of.

    J/

  6. #6
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    2,529

    Default Re: STi Pays For Itself

    Quote Originally Posted by F=MA
    I'm a long time V1 user, but due to the increased use of Spectre in southern Ontario. I put my trusted V1 in the glovebox for several years now.

    I've been eyeing the STi ever since its release, but couldn't justify its purchase because of its high price and my luck of beating tickets.

    Things are about to change though; the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar finally and by the end of the month new laws are coming into effect that make doing 31 mph over the limit an instant 7 day license suspension and 7 day impoundment as well as a possibility of a $10,000 fine upon conviction.

    I picked up the STi this past weekend in Buffalo, first thing I realized is that I don't have any arrows. Regardless initial use was extremely easy. I mounted it high behind the tint strip and picked up a few door openers and the odd speed sign, but very quiet none the less.

    Regardless my first save came three days after recieving it. I was travelling down a rural road that with a PSL of 50 mph, I was travelling about 62 mph. I get a slight k band alert a mile and half away, the terrain is hilly but the alert increased ever so slightly as I approached the source, so I slowed down. I noticed a sign which says the PSL drops to 38 mph ahead. So I knew it had to be a LEO ahead, I slow down immediately and as soon I get to a crest of a hill: a dark blue undercover car with deep tinted windows and semi-reflective decals. He was parked parralel to the road way waiting for his prey. I smile as I as pass by.

    Heres the kicker: If I was pulled over the fine would have been in the $600 range. Plus the undercover cars carry the Spectre units here in Ontario so that would've been another $140 fine if I wasnt using a STi.

    I'm using a 3407 build date for those concerned about the Ka bug.
    Where did you buy it from?

  7. #7
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    6,538

    Default Memtek

    Memtek, VR is presently working on a Stealth proof V1. I talked w/ them about this, give them about 1-2 years and it should come.

  8. #8
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    From a good source?

    Would this be offered as an upgrade to the current models? This would sell so fast!

  9. #9
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    209

    Default

    1-2 years thats a long wait. Im surprised they have been sitting on that idea for so long. BUT Im sure when it comes out it will be one killer RD with uncomprimised detection ability. Hopefully by then we wont be seeing nearly all laser usage and virtually no radar. Im sure that day is coming, along with new anti jammer laws ????

  10. #10
    Lead Foot
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I think it's time V1 redesigned their whole unit anyway. It's old and even though it has arrows it seems dated and crude. A completely new design could incorporate STi features (expert mode, voice alerts, automute, etc.) and be stealth. It would be the top seller right away because of the arrows and the famous V1 distance.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. FWIW, 78SE pays for itself once again!
    By MOPARado in forum Whistler
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
  2. It pays to avoid speeding.
    By Cips in forum News Stories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 06:15 PM
  3. Brand New V1 pays for itself first time out
    By cruisecontrol in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •