Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default For those of you that think all gas is different...

Here is a picture from my step-dads terminal, its where all the tankers come, fill up, then take it to their respective gas stations. what this shows is, A QuikTrip Tanker, a Perimeter Oil Tanker (my step-dads company), and a RaceTrac tanker, all filling up at the same place, with the same gas. Its all the same yall. Dont go driving around saying "my car runs better on Shell gas than BP gas." shut up, no it doesnt. Now some manufacturers may add an additive (i.e. Shells V-power), but its so minnute that it doesnt even matter, its all from the same place :roll: 8)

Power User

well theres always that.... I live across the street from one such terminal(down the road about 1 mile) and I see all kinds of trucks leaving that area....... they all get it from the same place here too.........but sometimes the additives help a little, not performance wise, but more to keep your engine clean (eg. Shell V-Power, or Chevron Techron) there is minimak differwence, my engine runs the same way on Chevron (my favorie name brand gas.... i dunno why) as it does on QT or RaceTrac, really.................so long story short........ X2

Yoda of Radar

A-Town and I were talking about this earlier, and I have to say its a pretty cool bit of information and I have to x3 this.

Power User

another thing i have near me is DFW airport (not but 10 minutes away) and about a mile in the other way of the gas terminal from my place lies some BIG fuel tanks filled to the brim with jet fuel.... now THAT would be fun to drive on.... damn emissions laws (j/k I love the emissions laws and hate all the old cars that are exempted from having to obey them, but running jet fuel would be fun)

Radar Fanatic

I wonder if they ever fill the higher octane pumps with the cheap gas... Anybody got any info on that?

Are there actually the different grades at your dad's center A-Town?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    I wonder if they ever fill the higher octane pumps with the cheap gas... Anybody got any info on that?

yeah good question, but one thing that kinda gets me.... most places have 3 grades, but the 7/11s around here have 5 grades!........how the heck does that work?

and I think that regular and premium might be separate, while plus or mid grade or whatever its called is a blended mix of the both

but I may be wrong

ahh yes and the recent spike in the use of Ethanol at all the stations around my area.......is that handled at the distributor, or at the individual stations..........differences in overall burn performance?? (I know what it is but I just dont know how it affects everything)

Radar Fanatic

yes there are diff grades. There are separete tanks for each grade (reg, plus, premium, diesel). Each tanker has separate compartments to which the diff grade gas is put into, and then its put into their respective tanks at the gas stations.

Professional

And they use additive that gives problem , like Shell :

http://autonet.ca/AutonetStories/Sto...?StoryID=10599

'' Shell Canada to compensate drivers for bad gas damage
    by Canadian Press posted Jan 7, 2004
    CALGARY (CP) -- Shell Canada has agreed to compensate hundreds of customers whose vehicle fuel gauges or pumps were gummed up by a gasoline additive, resulting in a class-action lawsuit.

The settlement deals with an additive that Shell (TSX:SHC) used in its gasoline between March 2001 and April 2002. ''

At first they deny everything , untill somebody bring the proof.... Dear PetroGod... :shock:

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi

yes there are diff grades. There are separete tanks for each grade (reg, plus, premium, diesel). Each tanker has separate compartments to which the diff grade gas is put into, and then its put into their respective tanks at the gas stations.

Some gas stations (like my uncles) mix there gas. If your getting grade 89 what they do is mix the grade 87 with grade 93.

Professional

All the differences is in the additives. Shell's V-POWER versus Caltex TECHRON.

There are documented benefits to each of these. V-POWER is better at lubricating, TECHRON for cleaning.