Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default for SAS. the 1 million mile Saab

Yoda of Radar

Yep... guy was at the SOC 06 and clicked over 1 mil...

One thing that is really remarkable is that the engine is still running it's original rings, main bearings etc. The only thing that has been done to the engine is a "routine" headgasket replacement every 300 k. I think that's a record for a gasoline engine to go that far on original rings! :shock: I've done several headgasket jobs on these cars and usually you can't feel any ridge on the cylinder wall at all even with 200k miles, so I can believe it. Guy used Mobil 1 always and changed it frequently too.

Some pictures http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/press/060918p.html

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Guy used Mobil 1 always and changed it frequently too.
    how frequent is that, because apparantly Mobil 1 is supposed to last for 15k at a time........... then my Amsoil says it'll do 25k... but I doubt that

Yoda of Radar

Probably less than 5 000 mi maybe 3k. Saab recommendation on that car is 7 500 miles, 3 750 "severe" service.

The thing about oil intervals isn't so much the oil going bad but it gets contaminated with gasoline and other crap. I wouldn't go further on an oil than recommended by the manufacturer of the car. Look at the oil itself, if it turns black and gloopy that is really time to drain it.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Probably less than 5 000 mi maybe 3k. Saab recommendation on that car is 7 500 miles, 3 750 "severe" service.

The thing about oil intervals isn't so much the oil going bad but it gets contaminated with gasoline and other crap. I wouldn't go further on an oil than recommended by the manufacturer of the car. Look at the oil itself, if it turns black and gloopy that is really time to drain it.
    right... when I was still using Syntec I used it at regular 4k intervals, my dad kept saying that it could go further, then on RP I went out to 5k, im on about 7k on this Amsoil and its still as golden-ish as it was out of the bottle.......... what I loke is that it doesnt randomly "disappear" when I check the dipstick occasionally, thats probably the higher flashpoint that I saw on an independent test

Yoda of Radar

Disappear? That's not flash point, you're losing oil somewhere... I'd be surprised if Honda gave a recommendation less than 7 500 miles...

If it's honey coloured you should leave it in, changing it won't give you any improvement.

When I put oil in my 900 T immediately after doing the headgasket and draining the old crap out of there, it turned black in about 20 minutes. I changed the oil at 70 miles

I should also mention that water getting into the oil will also turn it black as it is absorbed by the dispersers, then once the dispersers are "used up" the oil will turn into white gooey milkshake crap.

In Texas the oil is not under very much stress at this time of year so it can last a fairly long time. Short trips are bad for the oil, long trips are good, etc. I actually was surprised the other day, when I got back from a 650 mile trip to New Hampshire on Sunday, my oil was nicer looking than when I had started, since a lot of the water and gasoline accumulated during my commutes was evaporated off. The oil has been there for about 3000 miles or so and it's cheap 10w30 stuff.

Power User

where would my little Honda be without you, good old SAS???????

probably covered in the mountain of bills for service I would have had to deal with

Old Timer

Default thx

Thx for the laugh guys!

Radar Fanatic

Drive anything like an old grandma and it'll last for ever, it's common sense
    RR

Old Timer

Default some

Some old grandmas can't go over 25mph though!