Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Re: Anyone here use fuel additives?

shell have pretty good gas, thats only place i will get my gas from. premium. and also, apply for a shell card, you get like 5% back for all the gas you purchase. around my apt, there is this shell gas station, man, it is so much cheaper than other shells/other brand....always 10-20cent cheaper...cant beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by 9500ier View Post
    No... I just use 93 octane Shell V-Power 99.9% of the time. The additives do give you an octane boost which can have its benefits at times. If you couldn't get your hands on 100 octane on a trackday, for example, I would use it.

Professional

use a good quality detergent gasoline, with a good quality detergent oil, with proper maintenance (air filter, oil filter, etc.), and you should not need additional fuel additives.

that said, if you WERE going to use additional fuel additives, there is a cult following for Chevron Techron, Redline S1-1, and Gumout Regane. Redline SI-1 and Gumout Regane both have PEA (polyetheramine), which is the active ingredient in Techron. Lucas UCL is used in the fuel as an upper cylinder lubricant (hence UCL), but does not contain detergent. there has been some speculation on whether or not it causes deposits. stick to the PEA if you are looking for detergent additives.

read up on BobIsTheOilGuy.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by texasspeed View Post
    ive got a edge programmer in my f150 and it is set at level 3(1,2,3 levels) and the edge manuel says to use 93 octane for level 3..so i use that..now, i do have my doubts that it is just bs.. but they are the engineers, not me.
    Keep running the 93. That is one of the cases where your engine is tuned for a higher octane. In this case, the programmer advanced the timing, so putting in a lower octane would results in pre-detonation/pinging.

If you can't find 93 gas, either go to lvl 1 or 2 (87 octane tunes) before running your truck. I know some people use 93 with lvl 2, since I think it's tuned to make power in the lower RPMs (aka, more of a towing tune.) All they do is advance the timing. After a quick search, I believe it's 0.5 degrees per octane.

Either way, if you would like to know more, head over to f150online.com

Sorry for the thread hijack

Lead Foot

Those octane boosters don't work. If you're looking for higher octane you need to use gallons of toluene or xylene, which is basically what those little bottles of octane boosters contain. On the other hand, some of the fuel system cleaners actually do work.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by texasspeed View Post
    ive got a edge programmer in my f150 and it is set at level 3(1,2,3 levels) and the edge manuel says to use 93 octane for level 3..so i use that..now, i do have my doubts that it is just bs.. but they are the engineers, not me.
    Thats why I didnt get a programmer for my truck. I dont want to pay for the extra octane. I dont think its worth that much money for the small gains in power.
    I do use a fuel system cleaner when I do an oil change tho. Its about the same as spraying it down with carb cleaner.

Professional

I use Stabil in the cars I don't drive often, to keep the fuel from going bad. A tank of gas may last many months in a seldom driven car, and I don't want things to get messed up.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by nautica2o3 View Post
    Those octane boosters don't work. If you're looking for higher octane you need to use gallons of toluene or xylene, which is basically what those little bottles of octane boosters contain. On the other hand, some of the fuel system cleaners actually do work.
    An octane booster that does work is Torco. Its what all the supercharged or turbo vette guys use.

Other additives that work are BG44K, Techron, and Seafoam. They are for fuel system and top end decarbonizing.

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO View Post
    Hmm, I vaguely remember a thread about this....

Either way, if you get "quality" gas, it should already have the additives in it. Actually, I think all gas is supposed to have some sort of additive in it, just different gas companies put different amounts/formulations in it, or something like that...

As for gas grade, you should only put premium in if you car is tuned for it, or knocking/pinging. Otherwise, you're just wasting your money...
    I just wanted to see if I put prem. in too see if my gas mileage would improve but it dramatically was reduced and I wasted money.

Radar Fanatic

Are you trying to say that they don't actually increase the octane or that increasing the octane doesn't accomplish anything?

Works great in a Turbo'd or S/C car but not a non forced inducted car.