Lead Foot

Default Key not turning ignition?

I havent been able to start my car lately because the key wont turn in the ignition. I only have 1 key. Does anyone know if I can just make a new 05 Chevy Colorado key, or do I have to get one from the dealer?

Speed Demon

Default Re: Key not turning ignition?

possible stripped key ? does the steering wheel turn or is it locked? you should try turning it from side to side while tryin to turn the key at the same time..

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by mfcool45 View Post
    possible stripped key ? does the steering wheel turn or is it locked? you should try turning it from side to side while tryin to turn the key at the same time..
    Tried that, doesnt really help. But yeah the wheel can turn fully when I put the key in.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
    Tried that, doesnt really help. But yeah the wheel can turn fully when I put the key in.
    does it look like key wearout? 05 sounds like the key should be fine .... but if thats the problem then the key is chipped? which means dealership to make another.. or a really good locksmith

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
    does it look like key wearout? 05 sounds like the key should be fine .... but if thats the problem then the key is chipped? which means dealership to make another.. or a really good locksmith
    The key looks fine to me. Not too worn out or chipped/damaged in any way. Carmax legally still owes me another key since the truck only came with 1. I am going to go in to the service department tomorrow and have them get me another key. Hopefully this one will work until then.

Speed Demon

i looked it up and on a chevy forum it says that the tumbler gets dried up in the ignition switch? and probably spraying some wd40 on the key and turning it will it get them unstuck.... probably a bad idea lol but PM sent

Lead Foot

i looked it up and on a chevy forum it says that the tumbler gets dried up in the ignition switch? and probably spraying some wd40 on the key and turning it will it get them unstuck.... probably a bad idea lol but PM sent
    Thanks, ya doesn't really sound smart but its worth a shot I guess. I had to drive my other car to work today so when I get home I will try that out and hope it doesn't destroy it more. But even if it does it sounds like I will have to replace the tumbler for $550.

Professional
    west coast of the ___American Corporatocracy___ X-band is alive-deadly-expensive

WD-40 will ruin any lock or tumbler set; but it'll work great right up to the point it dies and leaves you stranded
    I use Lock-eze spray in applications where the actual tumblers are above the key and gravity works against a dry-lube (the best lock lubes are dry)