Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Insurance Question (State Farm)

I am currently with State Farm on my vehicle. When I bought it my dad had to co-sign (I think he is the 'primary' owner). I was living at my parents house when I bought it and shortly after moved to another state, but I left the car insured at my parents address for a number of reasons.

My dad thinks I should check with State Farm to make sure it is ok to leave the car registered at my parents house even though it is primary driven about 100 miles away and in a different state. Before I call I want to sorda find out if anyone knows already what the deal is.

So, will I be able to keep my car registered at my parents address since my dad is a co-signer (primary owner if there is such a thing)? If they generally don't do this is there a (legal) way around it?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Insurance Question (State Farm)

If it's legally registered there then it shouldn't be an issue, if you've registered it elsewhere (especially over state lines) you're the primary driver on the car then they need to move you to an office that's within your state, does state farm have you as the primary on the car already (different than what the registration or bank shows). Having moved a few times in the past 5 years they've been helpful in communicating between agents (one time printing me off a card for the next 6 months on the old agent just to make sure I had my PoI while the rest of the paperwork took a little longer to transfer.

Experienced

I might not have been clear about what I'm trying to do. I do live in a different state from where the car is registered but I want to at least be able to keep the license plate from the other state so my car won't need inspections because I have window tint that won't pass. So can I insure it in a different state than the cars license plate shows? I feel like this doesn't work.

The other reason I want to keep it insured at my parents address is I'm saving over $100 a month from family discounts. I'ce only owned a car for a year now so I'm learning all this technical stuff

Radar Fanatic

Won't be a problem as long as you're keeping registration on your parents address. I still get my brothers plate & insurance renewals at my address and he hasn't lived in this state for a few years. State Farm made no issues about paying for repairs when his car was hit couple times while out of state.

Radar Fanatic

I don't see any problems here.

Advanced Member

Just a couple questions.

Did you sign a lease where you are living?
    If you did, did you sign for it by yourself?

Or did your father co sign for the place that you are living in?
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Jstglockem View Post
    Just a couple questions.

Did you sign a lease where you are living?
    If you did, did you sign for it by yourself?

Or did your father co sign for the place that you are living in?
    I bought the car while living at my parents house so I registered it there and is still registered there. My dad co signed on the financing. Now I live the next state over.

Radar Fanatic

What address do you use on your DL, your dad's house or where you live now?
    This might make a differance. My brother & dad both sell insurance so I'll ask them to see what they have to say.

Radar Fanatic

They said should be no problem unless you got a new DL in the other state, then you are required by state law to comply with their insurance regulations.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by voyager7 View Post
    They said should be no problem unless you got a new DL in the other state, then you are required by state law to comply with their insurance regulations.
    Awesome thanks so much for checking into it for me. I was afraid if I called my agent he would say no you have to change then I'd be forced to since they'd know I changed address.

I have my drivers license address at my parents house. Basically everything about me and my car as far as driving goes is tied there. I just live and work somewhere else. I plan on changing all this over in a few years when I sell my car that has tint that won't pass inspection and when I get a house. I'm still living in apartments and usually don't stay in the same one long so Itd be a pain to keep changing my license.