Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: $1.98 for gas

Radar Fanatic

I'm not too concerned about those batteries. They have become pretty good at managing them since the first generation hybrids. They intentionally prevent deep-discharge or full recharge, which maximizes lifespan. In some states the hybrid systems are warranteed until, what, 150K miles? Not to mention that replacement packs will only get cheaper with time.

Vacuum gauges work, and I like my Scangauge since it gives me instant feedback as well as keeping track of trip and tank averages for me. If I can do nearly 40mpg in a 4-cyl Accord he ought to be able to hit 36mpg with an '03 V6. The engine is bigger but his car is also slipperier through the air. I think an '03 has a CD of 0.3, my '02 is more like 0.33 with about the same frontal area.

As for looks, the Prius has grown on me. I still think the original Prius sedan was god-awful but the hatch is much better. My only stipulation is that it must not be plastered with "My gas mileage is better than yours" bumper stickers That's just irritating.

Power User

Yeah I know part of the debate regarding about the battery packs, also is the concern for selling the car, the opinion is that the buy will have a uncertain expense, and a very expensive on at that if the battery goes kaput. Needless to say not a very good reselling point. Faced with the prospects of $5.00/gal and more gas prices. Price for hybrid simliar to that of gas, I will take the hybrid and only fill up every 14 days!

But currently hybrids are far what they should be still. My opinion only toyota have vehicles worthy of the hybrid name. The hybrid Accord is a joke. Civic hybrid is too.

I am not buying immediately now, but definetly in a year or two. Will be interesting to see changes. It is time. For so many reasons we need to cut this dependancy on foriegn energy. The next president better really do something thats all I will say.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    But currently hybrids are far what they should be still. My opinion only toyota have vehicles worthy of the hybrid name. The hybrid Accord is a joke. Civic hybrid is too.
    According to Consumer reports 2006 auto edition the Civic is the ONLY Hybrid worth buying due to highger price and milage incarese you get. You should see the Highlander... 10K will get you 3 mpg more. :roll: :roll:

Old Timer

Default Re: Hybrid

I somewhat see that hybrid's are important but the battery situation is a concern. I saw on the news a guy out in Cali who wired up 2-3 extra batteries to his hybrid and it went farther. The main thing that concerns me is hybrids only come in an automatic shift. You cannot buy a hybrid in a manual shift which bothers me. So much for choices. Mk

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember
    I somewhat see that hybrid's are important but the battery situation is a concern. I saw on the news a guy out in Cali who wired up 2-3 extra batteries to his hybrid and it went farther. The main thing that concerns me is hybrids only come in an automatic shift. You cannot buy a hybrid in a manual shift which bothers me. So much for choices. Mk
    The Civic and Insight do IIRC.

Power User

I forgot to mention. As for my gas v6 auto Accord. I average in the city, not so nice driving about 18 mpg. If I take care and drive effeciently I can get 24 mpg in the city. On the highway I get 30 mpg.

Old Timer

Default Re: manual

Not offense to any who like automatics. But maybe SmartA$$saab might agree w/ me that hybrids ought to offer a manual shift. Can someone tell me why? I have wondered about this for quite some time. Mk

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by proudNMAmember
    Not offense to any who like automatics. But maybe SmartA$$saab might agree w/ me that hybrids ought to offer a manual shift. Can someone tell me why? I have wondered about this for quite some time. Mk
    Ideally, with a hybrid, you could disengage and engage the internal combustion engine from the wheels. With a true manual gearbox, it's only disengaged when the clutch is in or the stick is in Neutral. With a CVT-type setup, and a computerized clutch system you could get better efficiency.

But, a manual shift is the only way to go if you are actually driving the car, I like to be the one DRIVING the car not just "aim the wheel and stomp on it"...

Power User

I only got the auto for my wife, but becasue it was auto I got the v6, I ant monkeying around with an 4 cyl auto. I tried teaching her, but although she learn, it wasn't a type of driving she perfered, and if she was not going to drive my manual much she will have lost the touch to do so.

Old Timer

I have had ex girlfriends that couldn't drive a manual and I was like, "What"? So let me go out an teach you. Then I hear No! I say what are you scared of, it's just a car. Let's say I have to go the the ER and my car is the only one around? Then what? Smarta$$saab, I totally agree w/ you on this one. We got to get-together. Maybe I can bring my little rice-burner w/ the wonderful synchronizer problem. I am trying to shift into 3rd by double-clutching. The only problem is to remember to do it once I am leaving 2nd ready for 3rd. Thanks SAS! Mk