Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Odd Cobra XRS models

Was looking around in the automotive electronics section in Wal-Mart yesterday and I noticed that there were two models of Cobra radar detectors. One was the XRS777 and the other the XRS747. I was just wondering what the deal was with these. I can't find any mention of them on the Cobra website, or anywhere else for that matter. They're not listed on the Wal-Mart website. Are these just models that Cobra is making for Wal-Mart only? The 777 appears to be somewhat similar to the XRS9700 on features, but it does look different. Any info on these?

Advanced Member

Wow, those ARE odd.
    IMHO, Cobra has WAY too many different detector models...

Old Timer

Hmm, I did a search for the XRS777's and nothing came up. I wish I knew what they looked like... and what is all of this I hear about cobras latest model cutting the sensetivity to reduce false alerts?

My buddy had a 9300 that outpreformed my 9600 by a few seconds. I was always dumbfounded by this... I always thought the newest model of a detector would be the best? :roll:

Banned

CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nothing came up :shock:

Newcomer

i have a cheap cobra unit right now; i'm in the market right now for one of the "superstars" because i've gotten caught twice lately (once at night, once while daydreaming b/c i was only doing 7 over...stupid TX )

both scenarios were the (i assume) usual, "hey, is that a--BEEP-BEEP-BEEBEEBEEBEEBEEP" yeah, so...here i am looking for "the best."

also: when it starts Ka at 1 & then skyrockets to 5, that's gotta be instant-on, right? well, either way, i'm tired of "driving blind." my car is way too much fun to obey these silly speed limits :P

also, again: i dont need any help on what to buy, i've got my mind set...x50 red, m20, & laserveil...maybe one of those inexpensive photo "blockers" for LONG trips...

eh, okay...just wanted to share my experiences w/ ppl whom i'm sure have experienced the exact same things before ops:

Old Timer

Personally, I have had the XRS 9600- and I dont think it ever has jumped from 1 to 5. I always remember just climbing the scale really fast. I was thinking cobras instant on preformance was really poor.... Now from personal experiance the x50 is very good at picking up instant on radar. Saved my tail a few times! But, I must warn you- you go with the red now but I swear after a week you'll be dying for the blue...

Newcomer

why "dying for the blue"?

Old Timer

Well, if you have never thought about the blue- then dont get it. I didnt think itd matter to me at all so I got the red. Then after about a month I was dying for the blue... and ended up selling ym red on ebay and buying a blue :roll:

Newcomer

but why did the red suck? was it too bright or something?

Yoda of Radar

yeah... Personally I'd rather a red one...