Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear duct tape

Banned

Default Clear duct tape

How good is it to help with Laser encounters. I remember this being an option to use but is it only 1-2%, or will it help more like 10-20%?

Old Timer

Default Re: Clear duct tape

As with all passive countermeasures, this is rather impossible to quantify.

Does the tape work to "diffuse" the incoming LIDAR?

Various tests (including that by LittleOverPSL, which utilized the doppler-tone feedback feature on his police LIDAR unit) show that yes, it does stand to reason that it works in that manner.

But exactly how much protection does it confer?

As with all passive countermeasures, this also has a lot to do with the vehicle overall physical size/profile, as well as hardpoint configuration.

Additionally, in as much that this kind of defense is "point protection," it really needs the synergy of other passive and/or active layers in order to truly bring about its effect.

To me, it really isn't a matter of whether or not this method "works."

I believe that all the current evidence says that, indeed, it does.

Rather, I believe that the real question for the end-user of this kind of passive protection - as with any other current passive protection measures - is whether or not the end-result is "acceptable for use," based on your own aesthetic review, as well as based on how much the end-result may or may not garner the disapproval of local enforcers.

Banned

I figure its better than nothing, and I believe my car is pretty good to start out with. Small front and the primary hard points are my license plate and headlights.
    I have been hit a few times with Laser and ether he didn't get a good hit, or he was just fooling around.

The Scotch/3M tape i got isn't really clear, its kind of opaque.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by CJR238 View Post
    The Scotch/3M tape i got isn't really clear, its kind of opaque.
    ^ Unless you totally went off on a wild tangent, I think that's the right one.

Like ELVATO's initial tests showed, this is not something that you'd want to affix to your headlights - it totally screws the throw/pattern, making it all but un-usable.

In terms of tail-lights, it's doable, but still.....

----

And yep, I'm one of those guys who believes that every little bit, when it comes to passive protection, helps.

I've "dressed" each of the little screws that are used for mounting my front jammer heads with a dab of VEIL G4.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    I've "dressed" each of the little screws that are used for mounting my front jammer heads with a dab of VEIL G4.

From what some people have said the 3M tape works better than VEIL. I would only use it on my license plate anyway.

Old Timer

^ Unknown.

I think it depends on the specific-vehicle/circumstance application, as well as specific testing factors.

The problem is that the 3M Clear Duct tape does not physically attenuate IR-spectrum radiation, like VEIL does.

As-such, while VEIL's "rough" surface also presents a "surface effect," it also has that secondary defensive capability, whereas the 3M Clear Duct Tape does not.

Truthfully, I think that VEIL will work better than the 3M Clear Duct Tape.

So far, only The Goons have made it a conclusive statement that the 3M Clear Duct Tape is "better" than VEIL. No-one else has. A part of this has to do with The Goons's history with The VEIL Guy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    ^ Unknown.

I think it depends on the specific-vehicle/circumstance application, as well as specific testing factors.

The problem is that the 3M Clear Duct tape does not physically attenuate IR-spectrum radiation, like VEIL does.

As-such, while VEIL's "rough" surface also presents a "surface effect," it also has that secondary defensive capability, whereas the 3M Clear Duct Tape does not.

Truthfully, I think that VEIL will work better than the 3M Clear Duct Tape.

So far, only The Goons have made it a conclusive statement that the 3M Clear Duct Tape is "better" than VEIL. No-one else has. A part of this has to do with The Goons's history with The VEIL Guy.
    I would only VEIL my plate so its not worth it for me, unless someone will sell me there 80% used VEIL for $10.

Banned

Well, did my front plate and the tape didn't stick around the letters too well so i went on to the back plate and cut out the letters. Mine are dark Blue so i doubt this will make much difference plus it looks cleaner. Actually very nice, and less noticeable. I would be concerned if a cop is behind me and sees it.

I went to the front plate again to redo it and that tape is super sticky and leaves a residue behind. The front plate doesn't matter much how it looks, however i may need to do it over. I will just cover the hole front plate and not cut out the letters because this is where im always hit with laser.

I did the whole picture in the dark with a flash and there is a big improvement.

Old Timer

Good stuff!

Try some Goo-Gone to remove the residue, but test it on your plate's various painted portions (as well as be extremely careful around/on the registration stickers), just-in-case!

Experienced

CJR238:
    I'm planning to test the 3M Clear Duct tape in the next while against Veil G4, Laser Shield, and 'naked' plates (including some combinations).

I briefly applied it an old license plate of mine and quite honestly, it doesn't look all that great. I'm all for stuff that works in a functional sense, but the license plate looks "mummified" for lack of a better term. If the vehicle in your avatar is any indication of the vehicle you drive (which is very nice and tasteful), then the license plate covered in 3M Clear Duct tape would really stand out.
    Last edited by WK446; 10-16-2008 at 09:55 AM.