Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Re: Would you respect an 85 MPH posted speed limit on rural interstate highways?

Would depend on the car, road, weather etc.

Power User

Default Re: Would you respect an 85 MPH posted speed limit on rural interstate highways?

85mph is close to what the speed limit is in most countries on the highway 130 km/h (81mph). Our biggest problem on highways in the USA is not the speed people drive it is how they drive. EVERYBODY needs to move out of the passing lane when someone is closing in on you, this is already the law in most states but sadly it is rarely enforced. Slower traffic keep right and ONLY pass on the left. It's the safest way for highway driving, but it only works if almost everyone does it like in Europe.

Lead Foot

It would depend on the road conditions and what car I am driving . I think however, in order to raise the speed limit 85 MPH or higher we need to make the driver license tests harder to get the idiots off the road, and not answer simple minded questions like these:

"What is an automobile?"
    (A) Car
    (B) Plant
    (C) Computer
    (D) Cellphone

Anyone with one brain cell can answer that.

Newcomer

85 is my normal across the desert cruise speed anyway. And not just me. I have lots of company and plenty of volunteer rabbits. Arizona put out the idea of raising their 75 PSL in the wide opens to 80. But the antis chimed in saying everyone is already going 85 and having a PSL of 80 would simply encourage 90. Maybe, maybe not. But as usual, the anti's have it.

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

If 85 is harshly enforced at 90 it would be fine for me.

85 out here is right on the cusp of getting a mean ticket. They can get evil here for that speed.

Here is the Arizona Statute:

28-701.02
    . Excessive speeds; classification
    A. A person shall not:
    1. Exceed thirty-five miles per hour approaching a school crossing.
    2. Exceed the posted speed limit in a business or residential district by more than twenty miles per hour, or if no speed limit is posted, exceed forty-five miles per hour.
    3. Exceed eighty-five miles per hour in other locations.
    B. A person who violates subsection A of this section is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.

OUCH!

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cusp View Post
    85 is my normal across the desert cruise speed anyway. And not just me. I have lots of company and plenty of volunteer rabbits. Arizona put out the idea of raising their 75 PSL in the wide opens to 80. But the antis chimed in saying everyone is already going 85 and having a PSL of 80 would simply encourage 90. Maybe, maybe not. But as usual, the anti's have it.
    To someone who religiously obeys the law, it seems "obvious" to them that the speeders are just going as fast as they can get away with... I don't need to restate the truth for the 2017th time.

Like I said before, above the 9 MPH or so 'tolerance' you've already sort of 'popped the speeding cherry' and how much you're speeding by becomes less relevant.

Radar Fanatic

We are comfortable doing speeds in the 85-100 range in our own cars, but introduce the many idiots we share the road with into the scenario, and it becomes a problem. Whether the limits 75 or 90, left lane hogs in buicks will continue to go 60 and those yapping on the cellphone will continue at 55 or 65, increasing the speed differential between our vehicles and theirs.
    If the maximum limit (75) is increased to 85, the minimum (40 here) should be increased to ~65. Slower traffic to the right needs to be enforced more, easy to do with all the vascar here instead of using it to enforce the 60/65 limits around the city.

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

Texas has 80 MPH speed limits & 5 MPH over will get you stopped by TX DPS every time. It will result in a warning if you are nice with the officer. 6 over will result in a citation. Not hard rules but it seems to be the practice.

Radar Fanatic
    On the Darknet (LEVEL 10 Telecommunicator) in Tucson, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel01 View Post
    We are comfortable doing speeds in the 85-100 range in our own cars, but introduce the many idiots we share the road with into the scenario, and it becomes a problem. Whether the limits 75 or 90, left lane hogs in buicks will continue to go 60 and those yapping on the cellphone will continue at 55 or 65, increasing the speed differential between our vehicles and theirs.
    If the maximum limit (75) is increased to 85, the minimum (40 here) should be increased to ~65. Slower traffic to the right needs to be enforced more

Right on!

I learned to drive when I was 14 in Virginia.

I really learned to drive when I was 17 in Germany. I lived there as a driver for almost 6 years. Germans as a whole can drive and they truly respect the road, the automobile, the other drivers and the experience.

We do not have the enforcement for one thing and we do not have respect for other drivers for another.

I wish there was a National Drivers Day. They have days for everything else. Let there be PSA's on every TV and Radio station explaining the rules and virtues of safe and courteous driving on the road.

I declare National Drivers Day to be April 30th. I chose that because April gets no respect. You know, Tax day.

The following is from the National Drivers test

8. You may pass on the right of another vehicle when:
    A. When traveling on a multi-lane highway carrying two or more lanes of traffic in the same direction
    B. The other vehicle is making or about to make a left turn, when a lane is provided to pass on the right
    C. Both answers are correct

Which one is right and which one should be right?

See for yourself...
    National Drivers Test - GMAC Insurance

Radar Fanatic

I 10 west other side of San Antonio 80 mph PSL for 100's of miles you can set your cruise at 85 no problem now that is some nice cruise'n