Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Speedtrap Crasher

Default Re: Would you respect an 85 MPH posted speed limit on rural interstate highways?

Quote Originally Posted by srtga View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
    It depends on the vehicle and the road.

It would sure be nice to have a super-highway system with speed rated licensing for car and driver. I would suggest building a six lane closed divided highway with a right merge lane, middle cruising lane and left passing lane. Set "speed traps" every few miles that turn on red warning lights on the left lane to warn people in the middle lane there is faster traffic coming from behind, then goes green after they pass. Road hazard boards with sat/nav integration would help with non-moving hazards and weather problems. Also, I'm toying with the idea of requiring "Drive-plans" for the super-highways, nothing complicated you just log onto a web site with departure and destination info but that's not absolutely necessary. Then the fun part, give it unrestricted speed zones in between the major cities.

On the operators side you have two classes of driving licensing. First is the one we have now, basic operators then a second speed classed licensing you have to take a class to qualify to take the test to get the license. Make the test a one time fee of 2k to take then require an annual every year to maintain. Vehicle inspections would be different for speed rated vehicles, twice a year and far more rigid than basic operators. And last but not least. Toll the super-highways out at say 5¢ a mile. That would be about $15 from Houston to Dallas. I think the system would be cheaper than rail, make more money and be a hell of a lot more fun.

I also think it would be cool to name these special highways given names like "Spindletop" or "Cannonball". The super-highway from Dallas to Houston could be called "The Valkyrie".
    I'm voting for you man... So is this project "Shovel Ready"? I have a shovel...
    Texas wants to build something similar between our big 4 cities (HOU, DAL, AUS, SAN) but it's expensive to buy out private property from resident landowners. Remember Texas a HUGE property rights state. Property rights trump everything and everyone so last round it was voted down.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Power User

Default Re: Would you respect an 85 MPH posted speed limit on rural interstate highways?

Heh, 85 in my car feels like nothing. I'd do 90-95 if they use constant on and no laser.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
    My speed is determined by conditions. The sign the state posts has no credibility.

They could post a 150mph speed limit and, while I probably would not break that limit, I would still have zero respect for it.
    Ditto!

And to answer the original question: only in heavy snow.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Nothegger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
    My speed is determined by conditions. The sign the state posts has no credibility.

They could post a 150mph speed limit and, while I probably would not break that limit, I would still have zero respect for it.
    Ditto!

And to answer the original question: only in heavy snow.
    For real... I go 85mph in the rain all day long. I mean you have to have the right setup... but 85 is nothing, especially in a straight line.

RadarBusters Associate

Like so many have already said it depends on the vehicle, if I am in my truck all respect to the posted speed limit and that, but if I am on my bike.... well I just don't think they will ever be able to post a speed limit that high

Radar Fanatic

85 is a good speed. I would probably not go over it.
    They have HOV lane why not a certified lane for car and driver.

Power User

Being from North Carolina where the max speed you can do is 75 MPH otherwise you will have a license suspension on your hands, I heartily welcome a 85 MPH limit. A bill went in for a 80 max limit and it got shot down. Damn money grubbers.