Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced
    delete account. delete account. delete account. delete account.

Default What is The Average Over-The-Speed-Limit Threshold?

I know the speed limit is the speed limit, but I am asking in terms for the "average" enforcement out there, and not the worse-case-scenario?

When do most LEO's and State Troopers really start pulling over and giving tickets on highways? I know we are given +10mph to pass a car, but what if your +11, +12, +15.. when do they, on average, say "that's too much" ? Also, what about in "city" driving, in terms of stop-lights, etc? I know we are given a +5mph, but what if you want to go +7, +8, +10.. when exactly do they really start caring?

Interesting to note in NY they can put you in jail for 15 days if you go over +11 the speed limit, but obviously this doesn't happen.

Lead Foot

Default Re: What is The Average Over-The-Speed-Limit Threshold?

Fellow NY'er.

I-90 +13
    TSP - +13
    I-87 - +13, although I've heard tix for 76 in a 65.

I've been LIDARed on I90 at 78 MPH and nothing. This week my dad got I/O'ed going 68 behind another car on the TSP way north, and nothing. Trying to teach him these things, and using a rabbit. :-)

State routes keep within +10 MPH.

Experienced

FWIW, lately I've been speeding by LEOs on I-205 a lot between 10-15 over PSL and haven't been stopped once. The limit is 55 in OR and 60 in WA, I do 70-75 on both. They're looking for bigger fish than me.

I have been stopped for 9+PSL and 15+PSL on state routes, neither resulted in tickets.
    Last edited by Hahns5.2; 08-12-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

The least amount over the speed limit I've been pulled over for in Pennsylvania is 17 MPH. I've heard from someone connected to the county that most locals don't bother until at least 15 over because it's easier to prove in court, but we have a special situation in which they can't use radar. I did get pulled over in Maryland one time on 695 for 15 over, but I think I got a warning because they were just looking for drugs. I've had too many encounters to really remember what I've gotten away with, so I'm just posting what I didn't get away with...
    Last edited by supercowpowers; 08-12-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Professional

CA LEO typically look for +15 PSL unless it is raining, or the cop is an ass. When you get pulled over in CA, your getting a ticket.

Power User

Texas will snatch you going 2-5 over PSL which is 70 ! 10 over PSL is a automatic ticket unless you have nice Hooters

Lead Foot

I got one for going 18 in a school zone in SC... I was just pulling out of a parking spot and was going to go 40. I even saw the cop as I went through... I asked the cop, what gives? He said, it is 15 Mph! I said, "Does that mean *when children are present*." He said, "The signs still say that but the law is "When school is in session."

Anyway, I went to court. The judge said I can either pay $200 and go to jail for 30 days (with 25 suspended), or I can pay $540 and he will do me a favor and keep it off my criminal record and consider the matter dismissed.

He asked, "Will you be able to pay $540 today? If not, we can set you up with a payment plan and the total will be $640."

I paid up $540 for 3 Mph over! I really felt victimized. There is NO other reason to have the *go to jail* law except to give corrupt judges, courts, cops, and prosecutors the upper hand in extorting money. All they have to do is pull the Go-Directly-To-Jail card and they can manipulate you.

I asked about the calibration and the judge said, I would have to take it to trial to find out, but it probably wouldn't matter because the officer is trained in visual speed estimates. He also said, if I go to trial and loose I am getting 30 days in county lock-up, but if I plead-guilty and pay $540 it will never be on my record, and if $540 is too high I can pay an additional $100 and make payments OR pay only $200 and serve 5 days in lock-up... but paying anything less than $540 and it WILL not be dismissed. It may come up when I try to get future employment.

Again, they operate based on fear, intimidation, and threats. It is why I love doing jury duty because I get an opportunity to really stop the gears of justice and reverse them until they are spinning in the direction of liberty, freedom, Bill of Rights, etc.
    Last edited by NETWizz; 08-15-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by NETWizz View Post
    I asked the cop, what gives? He said, it is 15 Mph! I said, "Does that mean *when children are present*." He said, "The signs still say that but the law is "When school is in session."
    Sounds like something you could have taken to the local media. People tend to get upset when they can see themselves falling victim to the injustice, rather than just "those people" who like to drive recklessly.

Experienced

This is disgusting!

I got one for going 18 in a school zone in SC... I was just pulling out of a parking spot and was going to go 40. I even saw the cop as I went through... I asked the cop, what gives? He said, it is 15 Mph! I said, "Does that mean *when children are present*." He said, "The signs still say that but the law is "When school is in session."

Anyway, I went to court. The judge said I can either pay $200 and go to jail for 30 days (with 25 suspended), or I can pay $540 and he will do me a favor and keep it off my criminal record and consider the matter dismissed.

He asked, "Will you be able to pay $540 today? If not, we can set you up with a payment plan and the total will be $640."

I paid up $540 for 3 Mph over! I really felt victimized. There is NO other reason to have the *go to jail* law except to give corrupt judges, courts, cops, and prosecutors the upper hand in extorting money. All they have to do is pull the Go-Directly-To-Jail card and they can manipulate you.

I asked about the calibration and the judge said, I would have to take it to trial to find out, but it probably wouldn't matter because the officer is trained in visual speed estimates. He also said, if I go to trial and loose I am getting 30 days in county lock-up, but if I plead-guilty and pay $540 it will never be on my record, and if $540 is too high I can pay an additional $100 and make payments OR pay only $200 and serve 5 days in lock-up... but paying anything less than $540 and it WILL not be dismissed. It may come up when I try to get future employment.

Again, they operate based on fear, intimidation, and threats. It is why I love doing jury duty because I get an opportunity to really stop the gears of justice and reverse them until they are spinning in the direction of liberty, freedom, Bill of Rights, etc.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by supercowpowers View Post
    I asked the cop, what gives? He said, it is 15 Mph! I said, "Does that mean *when children are present*." He said, "The signs still say that but the law is "When school is in session."
    Sounds like something you could have taken to the local media. People tend to get upset when they can see themselves falling victim to the injustice, rather than just "those people" who like to drive recklessly.
    ^Agree,

Sounds like a Court Mafia type operation going on there NetWizz