Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Ka on X50 not what I expected

So I was on my way back from school today and got a Ka hit started low and ramped up fairly well, but it only alerted for about 3 tenths of a mile, now that is enough to slow down but still Im positive the V1 would have picked it up at LEAST a mile and a half before I saw him. He was using constant on clocking traffic coming twords him on the other side of the freeway. I wonder if maybe he turned it on right when I got the alert or if I need a tune up.

Professional

way to many circumstances, he might of just turned onto your road, or just turned on the radar, i wouldnt worry about it until you can officially test it.

Old Timer

As long as it gives more than enough time, it's all good But yea, it all depends on the situation.

Speed Demon

I've also really questioned the range on the X50 for Ka band. It's not THAT great..

Power User

Default Re: Ka on X50 not what I expected

Quote Originally Posted by DogGod
    So I was on my way back from school today and got a Ka hit started low and ramped up fairly well, but it only alerted for about 3 tenths of a mile, now that is enough to slow down but still Im positive the V1 would have picked it up at LEAST a mile and a half before I saw him. He was using constant on clocking traffic coming twords him on the other side of the freeway. I wonder if maybe he turned it on right when I got the alert or if I need a tune up.
    The V1 picks it up earlier than the X50 but it won't be that much distance. Ka is so narrow that it is hard to pick up when the radar is pointed at an angle. My V1 can't get a mile on our Ka speed sign that's constant on.

Radar Fanatic

We were on a freeway with the nearest entrance ramp about 3 miles down the road. He could have just turned it on, but I dont think so. The road did have a slight bend it it, but I really think it should have picked it up earlier.

I will be going to Kansas again so I will be taking both RD's for some sort of idea on both of them.

Speed Demon

I doubt the LEO had "just turned it on"

I've had an X50 for 2.5 years now and I know that the range is not that great on the Ka band. That's not to say that any other detector would perform better, I think Ka band is just really hard for any RD to detect, especially in the cases where it is pointed at an angle and there is not much for it to be deflected off.

Power User

It's a good possibilty the LEO was using a Kustom Signals Ka radar gun, which uses the 35.5 Ka frequency. The X50 sucks compared to other highend detectors on the 35.5 Ka frequency. I know this from testing several X50's and from real experience with several X50's in Virginia. Virginia State Police use the 35.5 frequency Ka band.

If Ka is a big threat in your area get yourself an STi, V1 or maybe an RX65 and use it in Ka USA mode.

Banned

the x50 does not suck on the 35.5 freq the v1 does THO"!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    It's a good possibilty the LEO was using a Kustom Signals Ka radar gun, which uses the 35.5 Ka frequency. The X50 sucks compared to other highend detectors on the 35.5 Ka frequency. I know this from testing several X50's and from real experience with several X50's in Virginia. Virginia State Police use the 35.5 frequency Ka band.

If Ka is a big threat in your area get yourself an STi, V1 or maybe an RX65 and use it in Ka USA mode.
    I have a V1 also.

All of the staties use Ka, but it seems like most of the cities around here use K band.